Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
2-regarding the DBZ, i dont think sophisticated "elder statesman of rock" would buy a Bird of Prey or a Venom, the latest being one of my possibilites, but thanks for the info

You misunderstand.

Dean was Mr. Zelinsky's first company, dedicated to hard rock style guitars. He left them, returned, then left again.
http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

DBZ was his second company, with a similar focus as Dean. However, he had a business disagreement with his 2 partners. It is unclear whether he is still affiliated with DBZ at this time.
http://www.dbzguitars.com/

Dean Private Label is his newest company, and that is the one I referred to when using the "elder statesman of rock" line. There are only 3 guitars in that company's line of products: a Strat variant and 2 LP variants.
http://www.deanzelinsky.com/

Quote:
im leaning more towards the Jackson Pro series and the DBZ Venom

Both should do you just fine.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #42
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
If you could say how much exactly in Euros you have, I will try and find you something, I presume you have about 700?

TS- near as I can tell, Tom1.0's a pretty stand-up guy. Generally has good thoughts & is helpful, so worth talking to. That's my take on him, at least.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-26-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #43
Buffb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPCoelho
im not really into the aestethics of the DBZ Venom, and the price seems to be over my budget; i will seem if i can find better deals. i know DBZ has great quality, Zelinski ensures that, and the headstock m,ight be even better looking than the Dime one. have you ever play one?

I own a venom myself which I picked up brand new for £575. It's the silver one which wasn't the colour I reall wanted but it was in the price band I could afford at the time. It plays really well and the build quality is fantastic. It's my 3rd DBZ having owned a bolero and a barchetta and it is in my opinion well worth looking at if it's a V your after. I have reviewed it on UG so have a look, but as with anything try it out. The contoured body is nice and it sounds great. It is pointy thou but your looking at Deans so I am sure that won't bother you!! Have fun guitar shopping
Buffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You misunderstand.

(...dean history...)

Both should do you just fine.

thanks for the info, didnt know that, always nice to know new stuff.
well, i think im going on the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffb
I own a venom myself which I picked up brand new for £575 (...)Have fun guitar shopping

thanks man, appreciated it! i wanted to try one out buy i have yet to find a place near home with one. but thanks for the intel, im getting more into the DBZ. i like the Venom in dark blue, gungrey and silver, and the Venom FM in Trans Black. btw, being the main difference between them a mohogany body (Venom St) and a mohogony/flame maple body (Venom FM), how does this translate into? i mean, does this FM extra make the guitar sound better, be more robust, last longer, or it's just a matter of aesthetics and coloring options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Stop thinking in terms of dollars then buddy, it doesn't translate well to the relative value of guitars in Europe.
If your happy to buy from over seas, specifically the UK, I am happy to be a 'middle man' so to speak.
Personally I would be looking at purely 2nd hand guitars, maybe a Gibson Exorer, Jackson Kelly or RR24.
If you could say how much exactly in Euros you have, I will try and find you something, I presume you have about 700?

i'm looking for a "flying V" shaped guitar. not an explorer (my brother has a kelly also), not even a RR. im a sucker for V-guitars.

i have around that amount of money, but it depends of the deal. i'd consider buying 2nd handed guitars if i had good quality guarantees and if the deal was good (for example, buying a 1200€ guitar for 800 or 900€). but ATM im not considering "where" i'm buying it. i'm trying to figure out whats the offer from as much brands as i can find, and then figure out the best guitars (i think i'm at this point). after that, i want to focus my attention on finding a up-to-5 Top guitar list and then look for prices. but, at the time being, im just trying to know more and more

Last edited by LIPCoelho : 10-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.
LIPCoelho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #45
LIPCoelho

i found these prices:
- for DBZ guitars:
.DBZ venom - from 410€ to 773€
.DBZ Venom FM - 841€
.DBZ Venom GX - 841€

-for jackson guitars:
.Jackson KVMG - 700€ to 800€
.Jackson KVMGQ - 855€
.Demmeltion original - 1080€ to 1500€
.PDX demmelition - 425€ to 553€
.PDX2 demmeltion - 540€

-Schecter guitars:
.JLV 7FR - 770€ to 1300€
.JLV 6FR - 700€ to 1150€

- Dean guitars:
.corey beaulieu sign - 836€
.razorback v255 - from 775€ to 1300€

BC rich NJ deluxe JR V - 500€ to 800€

Stores/shops/sites consulted:
-guitar center
-amazon (.co.uk, .com, .de)
-carlino guitars
-guitar asylum
-neal's deal
-beyond 11
-euroguitar
-gear hounds
-thomann
-music store
-max guitars
-pro audio land
-several portuguese stores

any place i look at that i have missed?

Last edited by LIPCoelho : 10-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
LIPCoelho

i read this comment in another thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...?t-1315301.html)

"yeah, ive been loving Deans new guitars, i would buy one, but the venoms are way to big for a guy of my size, the guys on the DBZ forum say the imports play better than some of Dean Guitars USA made guitars, defiantly try one out before you order, not that they're bad, just to see the feel, the weight , like any other guitar really, but as its Mr. Dean Zelinsky at the reigns of the company and has a good eye on the imports aswell as the USA, you can be assured that the quality is there."
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM

i know that most of them have USA -made PU. can anybody tell me where the "average" DBZ Venoms are made? also, where will the Jackson Pro series be made?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #47
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
If you want a V for $1000 with active pickups, I'd get a Gibson 68 Flying V and put EMG's in it or something. I'd rather not have a trem at all than one that doesn't work.

Argument - Battery access. I considered your idea myself (with the Faded, '68 is out of my budget) but then thought about how will I change the battery?!

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #48
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Argument - Battery access. I considered your idea myself (with the Faded, '68 is out of my budget) but then thought about how will I change the battery?!

another argument - shape. i'm not hopelessly in love with it xD plus i have already played with a gibson flying V and it wasn't that great of a sensation
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #49
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:

That's easy, there is more than enough space in the control cavity to put a battery in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPCoelho
another argument - shape. i'm not hopelessly in love with it xD plus i have already played with a gibson flying V and it wasn't that great of a sensation

What didn't you like about it? I've never played a Flying V that sounded bad and they've always played nicely.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-30-2012 at 01:52 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #50
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
That's easy, there is more than enough space in the control cavity to put a battery in there.

What I meant was the annoyance of always having to take the plate/pickguard off every time you need a change of batt. But it doesn't matter anyway, cause I just remembered EMG's external power supply

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
What I meant was the annoyance of always having to take the plate/pickguard off every time you need a change of batt. But it doesn't matter anyway, cause I just remembered EMG's external power supply

Not a big deal. The battery pulls barely any amps, so it lasts for hundreds, if not thousands of hours. You can get away with having the same battery in there for over a year if you play daily.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #52
LIPCoelho

i just found out that Portugal does not have a DBZ dealer, and thats a huge boner breaker...

DBZ owners, since i cannot try out one of these guitars, can you tell me how is the guitar's neck? if possible, another guitar brand that has similar necks to the DBZ Venom.

thank you!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz

Given who we're talking about, my bet is that DBZs, Deans And Dean Zelinsky's Private Stock necks are all pretty similar in overall dimensions- the man has been pro-shred minded his whole guitar-making career- the only major difference being DZPS' new speed necks, which are dimpled like a golfball.

So my best suggesion is check out a Dean V (or any pointy Dean) of some kind.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #54
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Given who we're talking about, my bet is that DBZs, Deans And Dean Zelinsky's Private Stock necks are all pretty similar in overall dimensions- the man has been pro-shred minded his whole guitar-making career- the only major difference being DZPS' new speed necks, which are dimpled like a golfball.

So my best suggesion is check out a Dean V (or any pointy Dean) of some kind.

thanks man, didn't know that. i'm not sure i dig the dimpled concept but thats just me.
you know where the majority of the DBZ guitars are made? i cant find that info
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #55
dannyalcatraz

My bet is that the MAJORITY of DBZs are made in Korea- just like most manufacturers- and as I recall, their top of the line models are made in the USA.

As for the golfball neck, remember, that's not DBZ, that's from his third company only.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #56
LIPCoelho

Quote:
My bet is that the MAJORITY of DBZs are made in Korea- just like most manufacturers- and as I recall, their top of the line models are made in the USA.

As for the golfball neck, remember, that's not DBZ, that's from his third company only.

just commenting the idea, which doesnt seem that good, but i shouldnt diss before i try it

made in korea are generally good or bad guitars? i heard mixed reviews
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #57
dannyalcatraz

As I understand it, the top countries for mass-produced guitars* are the USA & Japan. Korea & Mexico would be second tier, and China would bring up the rear, with everywhere else somewhere in between those extremes.

Sometimes, that has more to do with available options & materials as workmanship. The USA and Japanese factories will get the best materials, followed by Mexico & Korea, etc.

Still, this is just a rule of thumb- you can get a gem or a lemon from any maker, any factory, any country.

I know I just got a MiK Fernandes Ravelle Elite (I may do a NGD thread on it.) for my birthday. If it hadn't been stamped as a product of Korea, most people probably couldn't tell. The main difference between it and the MiJ version is the MiJ version has a better rated maple being used for the top.

* if it's actually handmade, the luthier matters more than the country, natch.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #58
LIPCoelho

Quote:
As I understand it, the top countries for mass-produced guitars* are the USA & Japan. Korea & Mexico would be second tier, and China would bring up the rear, with everywhere else somewhere in between those extremes.
Sometimes, that has more to do with available options & materials as workmanship. The USA and Japanese factories will get the best materials, followed by Mexico & Korea, etc.
Still, this is just a rule of thumb- you can get a gem or a lemon from any maker, any factory, any country.
I know I just got a MiK Fernandes Ravelle Elite (I may do a NGD thread on it.) for my birthday. If it hadn't been stamped as a product of Korea, most people probably couldn't tell. The main difference between it and the MiJ version is the MiJ version has a better rated maple being used for the top.
* if it's actually handmade, the luthier matters more than the country, natch.

thanks for the info. i get that the USA made guitars must be better due to better quality control, that in places where there's mass production, number comes before quality.
about DBZ, i only saw like 4 or 5 specific made-in-USA DBZ guitars, and those are around 4k to 5k$.

tried out the Eric Petterson sig Dean, the C7 Jeff Loomis sig Schecter and a X series Randy Rhoads yesterday:
-the Petterson has a cool sound, i digged the fast neck, the guitar doesn't weight too much, neither is uncomfortable. i liked the PU EM81/85, they have a great metal sound for rhythm and lead, the clean sound isn't that great but i think its good enough. if the DBZ necks are similar to the Dean necks, i bet i'll like them a lot.
-the Loomis was a surprise, i wasn't expecting i'd like it. the neck is wider and thicker, obviously, but not that much. i was expecting to play a ironing board but it was cool. the sound is a big too fuzy with distortion, but with a little bit of noise gate it will be great i'm guessing. the cleans are really nice also, and the guitar doest hinder fast paced picking. the only cons were, besides a neck that i'm not used to, the whammy bar seems set too far for my grasp.
-i only played the rhoads for a bit (the king v they had was a very weak one), but it felt good, really light and with good sound. didn't have the chance to try the LFR out though. i bet the Pro series will only have AMAZING guitars by the look of it

going there again in two weeks to try out a Dean VMNT and the King V JSsomething, and see what else is new (i bet not much though).
Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #59
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
thanks for the info. i get that the USA made guitars must be better due to better quality control, that in places where there's mass production, number comes before quality.
about DBZ, i only saw like 4 or 5 specific made-in-USA DBZ guitars, and those are around 4k to 5k$.

Just to be clear, even the USA factories are factories- they'll be using much of the same kind of machinery & techniques as the foreign factories. The difference will be in terms of higher quality materials, more hand-finishing & personal attention to detail in each of the QC procedures at each step of manufacture.

Or, to put it differently, even $5000 guitars from most makers have significant CNC work done on them.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #60
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Just to be clear, even the USA factories are factories- they'll be using much of the same kind of machinery & techniques as the foreign factories. The difference will be in terms of higher quality materials, more hand-finishing & personal attention to detail in each of the QC procedures at each step of manufacture.

Or, to put it differently, even $5000 guitars from most makers have significant CNC work done on them.

i work in the Quality Systems department of a pharmaceutical-supplier company, so I get the idea. It depends of the level of how strict you want to control your non-conformities, this is, how large is the spectrum of what is acceptable as valid product, what are the defects that are acceptable and not, how many control checkpoints, analysis and tests are to be run to ensure quality. i get that the majority of the guitars are made in factories, using fairly the same machinery and techniques. the difference is more about how many maintenance routines and calibration tinkering are made during the year, how god are your raw materials and overall process cleanness.

i was just asking because in really mass production-heavy number driven economies like China, this control is minimized so they can produce A LOT and have really low prices, whereas other places like USA or Germany have a more quality-driven production ideal, which makes products more reliable yet more expensive

Rate This Thread: