Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
DeadlyKombat
Kweh?

I can strongly recommend the Blackstar HT-1R. Cranking the clean channel gives you your bluesy tone, and it's pretty cheap.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
DeadlyKombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyKombat
I can strongly recommend the Blackstar HT-1R. Cranking the clean channel gives you your bluesy tone, and it's pretty cheap.

... And is around talking volumes when cranked? I sincerely doubt it.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
icronic

I say this a lot....

Low wattage amps are rarely suitable for bedroom levels. While I've no experience with 1w amps I've generally found that the majority of amps that are between 5-40 watts are built with power tube distortion in mind and tend to sound absolutely awful right up until you turn it up loud enough to get your tubes working.

So people think low wattage = good sounds at lower volumes and it's almost the exact opposite.

I've had far more luck with 100 watt amps (provided they have a master volume) at bedroom levels than I have any low watt amp. My Mark V sounds great at talking level, My JSX sounded fantastic as well... Not as good as cranked obviously, but damned good.

But considering your volume requirements I'd say Solid State is your friend. POD HD, Eleven Rack, AxeFX, Kempler, Boss GT10, Line6 Vetta, Peavey Vypyr or something in that category.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
TubeBlues

I already have the Yamaha THR5 modeling amplifier, and was thinking about buying the TH10c.

What would be the difference between my Yamaha and some other multi-effect?
TubeBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Why would you buy an extenstion cab for it?

Dude, talking volume is just not practical for guitar. Use headphones.

A Superchamp X2 is $349 and the PPC112 is $379... You can get one hell of a multifx for that.

ever get the impression nobody can see your posts?

TS - the egnater tweaker 15 watt sounds great at low volumes. it actually does.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 10-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
ne14t

Here is what my computer setup looks like, my TM5 was purchased pretty much solely for silent/low level recording/playing. The redbox output is line level and is an emulated 4x12 cabinet output so you get a fatter tone then using a small amp with a 1x12. Using this setup combined with only my Jekyll and Hyde V2 pedal I can summon up any tone from somber blues to high gain br00tal metal.

Pedals ---> Tubemiester 5 ---> ART USB Interface via XLR ---> 3.5 year old PC Desktop (no mods) ---> FL Studio ---> output via computer sound card (onboard sound) ---> Monitors are el cheapo 20-20000hz colorless drivers ---> Ears

There is no cab plugged into the amp so it goes directly into my computer, I keep the master and gain knobs cranked. Load up FL studio and start the Edison app to run my USB interface via ASIO drivers into FL Studio. Now FL Studio will receive and record the cranked amp signal, at the same time as your playing and/or recording you can hear your guitar through your computer speakers (or monitors if you have purchased some) now you have the option of limiting the volume coming out of the computer via the speakers/monitors.

This does not affect the initial tone as would turning down the volume on the amp or interface as the speakers or monitors are not a part of the tone, they are simply taking the final signal and amplifying it to whatever the user wants, similar to that of a PA system.

I used to own a POD XT Live Floor, you can DI your instrument right into the interface I have and I tried that combined with Guitar Rig 5 and lastly at one point I had a Fender Mustang 3 and to be honest none of them came close to my TM5 setup. I have a Marshal half stack gathering dust in the corner of my house because it's too loud to play with and get a sweet tone unless I haul it somewhere.

Honestly there is no easier way to get what the OP asked for other then this everything else is just a band-aid method, yeah modelling technology is pretty good but to a trained ear it still has that sterile electronics feel to it. Either way chose what you want and use what you want.

NOTE: There are some other AMP companies that have a similar output to the Tubemeister series, generally it will be labeled on the amp as an Emulated Speaker Output some use XLR and some use standard TRS cables. They are all line level and can be plugged into ANY interface/mixer that accepts line level inputs.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
TubeBlues

Sweet, can you post a recording with the TM5?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
TubeBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Here is what my computer setup looks like, my TM5 was purchased pretty much solely for silent/low level recording/playing. The redbox output is line level and is an emulated 4x12 cabinet output so you get a fatter tone then using a small amp with a 1x12. Using this setup combined with only my Jekyll and Hyde V2 pedal I can summon up any tone from somber blues to high gain br00tal metal.

Pedals ---> Tubemiester 5 ---> ART USB Interface via XLR ---> 3.5 year old PC Desktop (no mods) ---> FL Studio ---> output via computer sound card (onboard sound) ---> Monitors are el cheapo 20-20000hz colorless drivers ---> Ears

There is no cab plugged into the amp so it goes directly into my computer, I keep the master and gain knobs cranked. Load up FL studio and start the Edison app to run my USB interface via ASIO drivers into FL Studio. Now FL Studio will receive and record the cranked amp signal, at the same time as your playing and/or recording you can hear your guitar through your computer speakers (or monitors if you have purchased some) now you have the option of limiting the volume coming out of the computer via the speakers/monitors.

This does not affect the initial tone as would turning down the volume on the amp or interface as the speakers or monitors are not a part of the tone, they are simply taking the final signal and amplifying it to whatever the user wants, similar to that of a PA system.

I used to own a POD XT Live Floor, you can DI your instrument right into the interface I have and I tried that combined with Guitar Rig 5 and lastly at one point I had a Fender Mustang 3 and to be honest none of them came close to my TM5 setup. I have a Marshal half stack gathering dust in the corner of my house because it's too loud to play with and get a sweet tone unless I haul it somewhere.

Honestly there is no easier way to get what the OP asked for other then this everything else is just a band-aid method, yeah modelling technology is pretty good but to a trained ear it still has that sterile electronics feel to it. Either way chose what you want and use what you want.

NOTE: There are some other AMP companies that have a similar output to the Tubemeister series, generally it will be labeled on the amp as an Emulated Speaker Output some use XLR and some use standard TRS cables. They are all line level and can be plugged into ANY interface/mixer that accepts line level inputs.

I just tried the combo via the REDBOX into a console / headphones... I'm in love!
I ordered the head!

Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #29
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Can you use the tubemeister without connecting a cabinet? Redbox is not a loadbox and tube amps don't like not having a load. It can be done, but not sure how long. I'm just curious if the tubemeister has a load built in.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #30
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

VHT Special 6 Ultra

the variable wattage control will give you great reduction in volume and get the tube breaking up, it also breaks up more as you roll it back (good for blues tone), but gets a bit harsh if you take it lower than 9 o'clock.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #31
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Can you use the tubemeister without connecting a cabinet? Redbox is not a loadbox and tube amps don't like not having a load. It can be done, but not sure how long. I'm just curious if the tubemeister has a load built in.

If the pricks would publish their schematics we'd know. I treat all companies that won't publish schematics with a great deal of suspicion - what are they trying to hide?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #32
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
If the pricks would publish their schematics we'd know. I treat all companies that won't publish schematics with a great deal of suspicion - what are they trying to hide?

Just looked it up, says it has a Powersoak so it's all good. Just don't try it with other amps though!
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #33
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Frankly, the THR5/10 is a near-perfect home amp as it is.

I don't see you getting that much improvement with a valve amp, certainly not enough to justify the cost and loss of versatility.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #34
TubeBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Just looked it up, says it has a Powersoak so it's all good. Just don't try it with other amps though!

Yup, it does have a power soak I did not even ordered the cabinet, don't even need it!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #35
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
ever get the impression nobody can see your posts?

Yes.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #36
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
I say this a lot....

Low wattage amps are rarely suitable for bedroom levels. While I've no experience with 1w amps I've generally found that the majority of amps that are between 5-40 watts are built with power tube distortion in mind and tend to sound absolutely awful right up until you turn it up loud enough to get your tubes working.

So people think low wattage = good sounds at lower volumes and it's almost the exact opposite.

I've had far more luck with 100 watt amps (provided they have a master volume) at bedroom levels than I have any low watt amp. My Mark V sounds great at talking level, My JSX sounded fantastic as well... Not as good as cranked obviously, but damned good.

But considering your volume requirements I'd say Solid State is your friend. POD HD, Eleven Rack, AxeFX, Kempler, Boss GT10, Line6 Vetta, Peavey Vypyr or something in that category.

I just wanted to say that I tend to agree with all of this. Low watts does not necessarily mean 'great bedroom tones'

Looks like the TS found something that will work though so congrats on that.

Rate This Thread: