Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

how hard to you push a wattage to speakers without damage

may seem like a dumb question, but a 5150 (120w) be safe enough for an Orange 2x12" rated also at 120 watts.

the reason i am asking is due to how that if you cook the power tubes enough couldn't the wattage over the amps rating at 120w.

also i don't understand the 120watt rating on the 5150, it just has four 6L6's which almost always 100 watts, and i have heard from somebody on here that peavey over rates the the wattage and it really only does push out 100w and not having to worry about speakers at all.

i am not sure if i am going get pick it up or not. $450 is pretty damn cheap and i am bored and something new could help.

thoughts?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
may seem like a dumb question, but a 5150 (120w) be safe enough for an Orange 2x12" rated also at 120 watts.

the reason i am asking is due to how that if you cook the power tubes enough couldn't the wattage over the amps rating at 120w.

just as your amp has a nominal rating, so do speakers. an amp can output more than it's nominal rating, but a speaker can also handle more than it's nominal rating.

the speaker may act a but outside of it's linear range when doing so, and this what speaker distortion or speaker rounding is.

if you want a really flat response from the speaker, then get a cab with a higher nominal rating.

Quote:
also i don't understand the 120watt rating on the 5150, it just has four 6L6's which almost always 100 watts, and i have heard from somebody on here that peavey over rates the the wattage and it really only does push out 100w and not having to worry about speakers at all.

depends on how they rate the amp. some companies rate their amps with a 1% THD, some with 5%, some with 10%. another way to 'bump' nominal output is to rate the amplifier with more voltage (like rating the amp with 125V out instead of 120 or 117). there are many tricks for bumping nominal output of an amp.

Quote:
i am not sure if i am going get pick it up or not. $450 is pretty damn cheap and i am bored and something new could help.

thoughts?

i would say you are most likely not going to run your 5150 at it's nominal output, so you should be fine.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
supersac

well the amp puts out 120 watts when its cranked al the way...i highly doubt youre ever going to turn it up that loud but if you do then you might get some speaker distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I've never seen 4 6L6s rated at 100W, I don't think. It's usually 4 6L6s = 120W & 4 EL34s = 100W

Anyway, I'm pretty sure both the amp and the speakers are rated high. The only conceivable chance you'd have at damaging the speakers would be running your amp on max - which I seriously doubt you're going to do with a 5150.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A lot of Fender Twins were 100W with four 6L6's. The early Silverfaces for one. The later ones were 135W but from '68 to '76 they were 100W.

What I'd do 'twer I you is run the amp clean and keep turning it up until the speaker starts to distort. That should give you a decent idea of what's going on.

Of course it's only going to be an issue if you dime the volume - do you do that on that beasty? If not, you'll be fine.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 10-26-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

My Powerball runs 4 6L6GC's and is rated at 100 watts.

Also I agree with the statements that unless you dime the volume, it shouldn't be an issue. It would depend on measuring it's peak wattage when it's fully cranked. I know the Red was rated 100 watts but it peaked at 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

And the speakers are rated in RMS too so they can also cope with much bigger peaks. You'd have to be running the thing as a demolitions machine before you'd risk breaking anything, all things being sound to begin with of course.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Yes. The ratings are conservative and leave plenty of margin for error.

Also, I cannot think of any circumstance, ever, where you'd be running a 5150 anywhere near its maximum output!

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: