Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
wambutto

Which distortion stompbox?

I'm the lead guitarist of my band which plays mainly grunge, psychadelic and metal. My band always has to play gigs where we have connect guitars directly to the PA mixer.So i'm planning on buying a behringer tm300 ( a clone of sansamp gt-2, a tube emulator).
Moreover, I would need a distortion pedal on budget of around $100. I have narrowed down my choices to MXR distortion+, MXR distortion III, MXR 78 badass, And boss ds2 turbo.Which of these will me most suitable to my needs combined with the tube emulator? Any other stompbox in the same price range is also OK.
Also while connecting the tube emulator should i connect it with my distortion pedals or after all the pedals?
wambutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
jmaguire

Get a Line 6 POD. Then you won't need the tube emulator or the pedal.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
wambutto

I dont trust multi fx pedals. I already have a digitech multieffects which failed me on stage twice, which is why i planned on switching to stompboxes.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Running stompboxes straight into the PA is going to sound awful. You need something that does amp/cab modelling for it to sound any good. The PODs are really solid units and have great modelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Why do you have to run your guitars direct to the PA? Surely you could use your amp & mic it up so you get your real sound without needing the tube emulator?
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambutto
I dont trust multi fx pedals. I already have a digitech multieffects which failed me on stage twice, which is why i planned on switching to stompboxes.

You're barking up the wrong tree, mate.

Get a Line6 POD, or a Vox ToneLab, or something like that. Loads of control, good cabinet emulation, and plenty of footswitching capability.

That Behringer pedal is a joke in comparison.
If price is an issue, you can pick up used Pocket PODs for 30 all day long.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Maximus_2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
You're barking up the wrong tree, mate.

Get a Line6 POD, or a Vox ToneLab, or something like that. Loads of control, good cabinet emulation, and plenty of footswitching capability.

That Behringer pedal is a joke in comparison.
If price is an issue, you can pick up used Pocket PODs for 30 all day long.

+1

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
wambutto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Why do you have to run your guitars direct to the PA? Surely you could use your amp & mic it up so you get your real sound without needing the tube emulator?

Mic ing up my amp is not at all an option, because first of all, i don't have and can't afford a real quality amp. All I have is a 10 watt Laney amp, and most of the gigs i go to are Battle of the bands competitions where amp mics are not provided.
So u guys think a line6 pod is much better than an analogue tube emulator like even a sansamp gt-2?
Also, can i use the pod after my distortion stompboxes and run it directly to PA mixer?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
wambutto

And are there any other ways to connect my guitar to PA mixer. As i said earlier, I own a digitech RP90, which is the same class as the Pocket POD and it has failed me twice on stage. Moreover, the distortion models and the wah on it sucks big time. My friend has a Floor POD hd500, which is awesome, but I can't afford that much. And most of those effects I wont use. All i need is distortion, wah and reverb. and something to enable direct connection to the mixer.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

The RP90 is a bare bones basic model, don't judge all multi-fx based on that. Even a pocket pod would be a bit of a step up... But I'd look for something better than that even.

A pod (or simliar) really is the best option for you though. It's one unit that lets you run straight into the PA as opposed to a complex set up like you are considering. I'd also be concerned about how a standalone overdrive is going to sound going into that sansamp.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
wambutto

Can I connect other distortion and effect stompboxes into the POD and then connect to the mixer?

Rate This Thread: