Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
zuhairreza

What Blues guitarists/bands can I listen to to "get acquainted" with the genre?

Ahoy!

I have been playing guitar since April 2009 and I am completely self taught. Most of the time I love, listen to and play hard rock, heavy metal and thrash metal music, although sometimes I am in the mood for other genres as well, such as alternative rock, blues music, jazz, funk, etc. My favorite bands would be Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Megadeth, Alter Bridge, Running Wild, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Scorpions, White Lion, Accept, Slash & Myles Kennedy, Skid Row, etc (to give you an idea of what I prefer).

Well, lately I'm suffering from (hopefully temporary) loss of guitar motivation (to play/practice) and I am doing what most people suggest to me: stay away from guitar for a while. During this time I am trying to "expand" myself musically, listen to as much new music as I can.

Blues is one music genre I would love to explore and eventually play. I listened to Stevie Ray Vaughn and liked some of this songs (e.g, Pride and Joy, Texas Flood) and I am enjoying songs from Eric Clapton as well.

What are some other great Blues guitar players or blues-based rock/classic rock bands I should listen to? I would prefer if they are not "too-old" or from too early times. It would also be great if I can find tabs for their songs to learn, since I haven't much begun to play songs by ear... yet.

Also, I like songs "with substance" and "full parts", not several seconds silence... then a note played... bent... then silence again, etc etc, as was the case with some Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs I heard before. I don't like those kind of music.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zuhairreza41

... and feel free to add me on Facebook if you're a musician at all:

https://www.facebook.com/zuhairreza1991

zuhairreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

It's pretty impossible to get acquainted with the blues with those parameters.
I'm not that familiar with newer guys on the blues scene, but I can recommend looking at the Crossroads Guitar Festival and see if any of the players speak to you. I found this too.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Swannie
drives a hearse

So you want blues without spaces in between notes? You won't find any good blues that way.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

I'm not a big blues guy, beyond having a Pandora station based on Pride and Joy, but some tracks to check out might be
Good Times Bad Times, Whole Lotta Love, or Ramble On by Led Zep.
Time by Pink Floyd (You must have been listening to some of the weird Pink Floyd, Money is also amazing. [Time does take a couple minutes to get started but it is SO WORTH IT.])
Life by the Drop by SRV is great but maybe not what you're looking for.
Tipitina is an INCREDIBLE song by Hugh Laurie, a cover of a Professor Longhair song. No guitar really, but really worth a listen.

Best advice would really be to start up a Pandora station and gear it towards the Blues.

If you haven't heard it, you have to listen to it dude. The solos are unbelievable.

EDIT: In addition, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones are both great. Obviously most of this stuff is classic rock with blues influences, but it sounds like you'd like that much more than old, authentic blues.

Last edited by RealUnrealRob : 10-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ If you don't like "pauses" you probably won't like the blues then, as pauses form part of tasteful phrasing in the blues.

However if you conquer this internal struggle, Gary Moore can destroy a lot of the guitarists in the bands you have listed there. He stops sometimes though so you may not like him.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Buy 'Truckin With Albert Collins'. Buy 'BB King - Live At The Regal'. Buy 'The Best Of Stevie Ray Vaughan'.
But an album of delta blues, making sure that it's got some Robert Johnson on it.
In fact, I bought a neat triple compilation album, each disk concerning a different era of the blues, from the original delta/country/gospel guys, to the electric pioneers like Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, to the modern blues rock/blues revival guys. Compilations are good as you get introduced to a bunch of respected artists.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 10-27-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
:-D
hi

"i want to learn to play blues"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhairreza
Also, I like songs "with substance" and "full parts", not several seconds silence... then a note played... bent... then silence again

sick troll brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
zuhairreza

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Small pauses and breaks are a part of the Blues, and make up it's style/phrasing. I didn't mean those when I said "(I don't like) ... several seconds silence... then a note played... bent... then silence again, etc etc". I was talking about some classic rock songs (some songs from Led Zeppelin and some from Pink Floyd, among random other songs) which had really long breaks (thus, "empty") and such similar silences, without any musical part being played. Those are the kinds of songs I don't like.

I'll look into all of your recommendations, thanks a bunch!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zuhairreza41

... and feel free to add me on Facebook if you're a musician at all:

https://www.facebook.com/zuhairreza1991

zuhairreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker

Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamossa are two popular modern blues guys.
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
GibsonMan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
20Tigers

Blues rock
Hendrix. Doors. Led Zep. Pink Floyd. Cream

Blues
John Lee Hooker.
Big Bill Broonzy
Lightning Hopkins
Muddy Waters
Robert Johnson

-some of them are pretty old so you may not be ready for them. They are an aquired taste.

Rate This Thread: