Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
kmamcconnell

Spectrum (Progressive...something)

Hey this is a new piece I've been working on. Fair warning, it's pretty long*.

*Around 12mins.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Track 1 - Spectrum The Infinity Condition.zip (20.6 KB, 134 views)
kmamcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal

I'm not a fan of constant time sig changes, i feel people do it clever. at some points they don't work and don't sound finished. other points of the song they worked well, however. its a great song with some unique parts in it. i don't really wanna listen to the whole thing cause im at bar 200 and theres another 170 to go.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

The time sig changes aren't that bad, its mostly just little add ons of 9/8 or overly complicated forms of 6/4 when you figure out the patterns. The main problem is that its very melodically straight forward. Not much I would call 'progressive' here, just sounds like some sandwiched Periphery worship between layers of perhaps too many riffs. Bar 80-83 sounded good, but aside from that, the same key + random inserts of dissonant chords wore thin, and it became a jumbled mess from 117 onwards, with even more riffs filling up space. Then it goes on for like, an extra 250 bars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
kmamcconnell

I appreciate the crit. But I will say one thing. I have no clue what Periphery sound like.
kmamcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmamcconnell
I appreciate the crit. But I will say one thing. I have no clue what Periphery sound like.

Pretty much what you wrote but in the space of 3-4 minutes with shitty vocals. (I'd listen to your stuff any day, btw, its just this song is too much)

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
BloodReverence

Doesn't sound even remotely close to Periphery. If anything, it sounds closer to Between the Buried and Me. Even so, it's a good song man but it's too long for me to listen to it in GP, if it was recorded then I'd be able to do it.
BloodReverence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
ArreatsChozen
ArreatsChozen

I actually quite enjoyed this.

There was quite a lot of fluff, and a lot of stuff that could be removed or refined, but on the whole I liked it.

The ending was a nice contrast and it seemed to flow well there.
I wish I could give a more detailed crit, but I'm too tired sorry.
But on the whole the ending was the strongest for me, and the start and middle a little so-so.
ArreatsChozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
Doesn't sound even remotely close to Periphery. If anything, it sounds closer to Between the Buried and Me. Even so, it's a good song man but it's too long for me to listen to it in GP, if it was recorded then I'd be able to do it.

Agreed, nothing like Periphery, very much like BTBAM. Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

On to the song, I absolutely loved it.
Anyone saying those time sigs don't work is play wrong, they were fantastic and flowed very well.

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
Agreed, nothing like Periphery, very much like BTBAM. Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

I'm sorry m8, but I have to agree that Periphery is dah ghey
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
frankibo
UG Board King

I'm glad you all see this forum as an opportunity to troll and annoy other people rather than a place to share and critique each others music.

Colossus
Old 10-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
I'm glad you all see this forum as an opportunity to troll and annoy other people rather than a place to share and critique each others music.

We genuinely do that, if infrequently, but your butthurt is precious and must be appreciated.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
We genuinely do that, if infrequently, but your butthurt is precious and must be appreciated.

'sandwiched Periphery worship' is not a critique in any circumstance, especially when the song doesn't even sound like Periphery or seem influenced by them (which is confirmed seeing as OP hasn't even listened to Periphery before).

It's nice to see you acknowledge yourself as a troll though.

Colossus
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
'sandwiched Periphery worship' is not a critique in any circumstance, especially when the song doesn't even sound like Periphery or seem influenced by them (which is confirmed seeing as OP hasn't even listened to Periphery before).

It's nice to see you acknowledge yourself as a troll though.

Actually, I'd barely even call this a troll, more of an elaborate grief session.

Still, I said 'Sounds like periphery' or whatever, because if string theory is going to follow through, there are an awful lot of riffs that sound like Misha Mansoors guitar playing style, especially from the second album. Sure, the overly long, fill-out-the-time style of song structure is a BTBAM trait, but I kept being reminded of that awful listening session I had to sit through of 'Periphery 2' from the riffs and melodies.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
amonamarthmetal

Frankibo its not like you're helping the situation by posting a rebuttal.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Ometh
nobody

Quote:

I bursted out laughing IRL. Now you're just being mean
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Shaharz
DAH KEWL GUY

Lol it's like there's only 5 guys left in this forum. Where are the good old days?
Shaharz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
Actually, I'd barely even call this a troll, more of an elaborate grief session.

Still, I said 'Sounds like periphery' or whatever, because if string theory is going to follow through, there are an awful lot of riffs that sound like Misha Mansoors guitar playing style, especially from the second album. Sure, the overly long, fill-out-the-time style of song structure is a BTBAM trait, but I kept being reminded of that awful listening session I had to sit through of 'Periphery 2' from the riffs and melodies.

Why would you sit through an album you dislike? Unless you were watching a live show or a "friend" of yours forced you to? That sounds pretty obnoxious..

PS. Yes, I like Periphery and I'm looking forward to the next album.

OT: It's really good, and I probably would listen to the whole thing if I wasn't so tired. Great work though!

Last edited by Erra93 : 10-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
Why would you sit through an album you dislike? Unless you were watching a live show or a "friend" of yours forced you to? That sounds pretty obnoxious..

PS. Yes, I like Periphery and I'm looking forward to the next album.

OT: It's really good, and I probably would listen to the whole thing if I wasn't so tired. Great work though!

We're more 'good acquaintences', we speak a lot but dont do 'friend' stuff. Although we are going to see Katatonia in December. Anyway, he's a massive djent fan who's band is like, the only thing I'd ever want to hear from that movement again, and often cuz of his contacts (like Acle Kahney and a certain Mr Mansoor) who also happen to be his good friends, he gets a lot of pre-release material months in advance. So I was er, 'lucky' enough to hear 5 or 6 songs. I like to keep on good terms with people, so I just went with it. Still, overall it was a good afternoon, lots of live Necrophagist vids and listening to promising pre-productions.

Quote:
Eip pls

Rate This Thread: