Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Power Metal Kid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England, Midlands, Birmingham
Secondary Dominant chords in Heavy Metal?

It recently occured to me that Heavy Metal rarely features tracks with secondary Dominant chords. For the life of me I can't figure out a Metal track with one in. Anyone out there know of any?
Power Metal Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
no - they're not really idiomatic to the style. in a way, it's kind of like asking about classical riffs. doesn't go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York, NY
Why don't you try to use them in your songs, it'll sound unique.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
blazing riff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Since it's a typical jazz thing (where you can turn all your chord into dominants in one key) you won't find them easely since 99% of metal is in a minor key!
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking
 
griffRG7321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
Since it's a typical jazz thing


lol.
__________________
Quote:
Mario 'Big Dawg' Williams: "I come to you, venerable master, in order to be introduced to the rules and principles of music"

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Try some neo-classical bands/artists, Malmsteen and Spawn of Possession spring to mind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
how about "try classical"? that is where they originated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
Since it's a typical jazz thing (where you can turn all your chord into dominants in one key) you won't find them easely since 99% of metal is in a minor key!


you can absolutely find secondary dominants in a minor key.

immediately comes to mind. it's a little faster than originally intended by the composer, but that's not the focus here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.

Last edited by AeolianWolf : 10-26-2012 at 04:40 PM.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
British_Steal
UG Member
 
British_Steal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
Perhaps its because most metal players dont know very much about harmony since they tend to think they are above music theory for some reason and thus dont bother investigating whats happened in music in the past few hundred years or so. Therefore, the sound of secondary dominants just isnt in their ears so they use whats more familiar or simpler.

Works for them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.

Last edited by British_Steal : 10-26-2012 at 04:41 PM.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
poisonousmetal
Registered User
 
poisonousmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Dream Theater must use it somewhere..
poisonousmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
They are used in neo classical (because secondary dominant - dominant kind of gives that classical feeling). Heavy metal (I mean more like extreme metal, Iron Maiden for example is pretty harmonic) isn't usually that harmonic and the riffs are based on power chords rather than major/minor chords. Usually there's a riff in E (or whatever) minor that uses some power chords that don't really have any function. Listen to Metallica for example. The riffs are in E minor and use E, F, F# and G power chords for example but they are kind of non functioning chords. If the song is too harmonic, it starts to sound a bit like classical music (power metal for example). If you play a riff with constantly changing chords, it doesn't sound as aggressive as if you play a fast riff in E minor that uses some power chords. It kind of becomes "happier" or "sadder" but less aggressive.

What kind of heavy metal are you talking about? Because today when you say that you listen to metal, it means more like modern extreme metal, at least here in UG. Power metal, folk metal and neo classical metal are more harmonic than thrash or death metal.

But same goes with rock. The songs have some harmony but they are really riff based songs. There's one riff in A and then you play the same riff in E (like in Welcome to the Jungle) and the only functioning chords are A and E even though there are many power chords in the riff.

In classical music the chords usually change more often. There are I-V-I-V-I progressions all the time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-27-2012 at 06:36 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
blazing riff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
how about "try classical"? that is where they originated...



you can absolutely find secondary dominants in a minor key.

immediately comes to mind. it's a little faster than originally intended by the composer, but that's not the focus here.



Of course you can find them, but the video you showed isn't really representative since it's written by Chopin, a classical composer. Sure you can do a cover, but hey, if you'll search long enough you'r sure to find a second dominant chord somewhere!
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
Of course you can find them, but the video you showed isn't really representative since it's written by Chopin, a classical composer. Sure you can do a cover, but hey, if you'll search long enough you'r sure to find a second dominant chord somewhere!


what the hell does that have to do with the chord being functional in a minor key

tonality doesn't care whether you're playing power chords or a piano, what century you're in, or what accidentals you play
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
:-D
hi
 
:-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
Since it's a typical jazz thing (where you can turn all your chord into dominants in one key) you won't find them easely since 99% of metal is in a minor key!

hngh urgh ugh yikes this thread blows
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
You just won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
Of course you can find them, but the video you showed isn't really representative since it's written by Chopin, a classical composer. Sure you can do a cover, but hey, if you'll search long enough you'r sure to find a second dominant chord somewhere!


...your point is not only meandering, but it has no merit, and no counter-explanation. frankly, if you had half an idea what you were talking about (and some fragment of experience with music to back it up), you wouldn't argue your point.

if you want to provide an argument, give me facts. your opinion is meaningless and useless to anyone but you -- that's why i don't give opinions in my posts (unless i specifically express that i'm stating an opinion).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Power Metal Kid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England, Midlands, Birmingham
I don't suppose anyone has an example of Metal using them?
Power Metal Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Metal Kid
I don't suppose anyone has an example of Metal using them?


not heavy metal, no. like i said, they're simply not idiomatic to the style. we covered this in the first post.

british_steal has a valid point - a lot of metal players don't know theory/aren't musically trained, so they just go by what they emulate from other metal players, who also were like them. the people who are musically trained and aware of other genres who play/write metal generally won't write it with secondary dominants, because, again, it's not idiomatic to the style.

that said, if you know how to write metal, and you know what a secondary dominant is, i see absolutely no reason why you need an example and why you can't write it yourself. if you're really bent on finding an example for some reason, i'd follow maggara's suggestion and sift through power metal, folk metal, and/or neoclassical metal. the likelihood you'll find it in any metal genre outside of those is pretty slim.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
ibanez1511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
hi.

i believe 'nothing else matters.' is in the key of e minor.
a B7 crops up in the harmony. i.e the dominant to E.
At a later point, the bridge ? i think there are chords similar to C ,A and then D
in key the A would be an A minor . but here it is an A major and as it precedes a D major it works as a 'secondary?' dominant . in fact there is a good chance that the vocal line provides the b7 (the g note)
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez1511
i believe 'nothing else matters.' is in the key of e minor.
a B7 crops up in the harmony. i.e the dominant to E.
At a later point, the bridge ? i think there are chords similar to C ,A and then D
in key the A would be an A minor . but here it is an A major and as it precedes a D major it works as a 'secondary?' dominant . in fact there is a good chance that the vocal line provides the b7 (the g note)


if you have to leave it to a "chance" that the vocal line provides the b7, then i'm really wondering...not to mention that for it to function as a dominant seventh, it would need to resolve to an F#.

however, chords don't need to have a seventh to be considered a secondary dominant. it's an interesting observation, and i think it would actually be considered a secondary dominant - it's a V/VII in E minor, and it functions as such.

not to get into semantics, but i'd hardly consider "nothing else matters" a heavy metal song. the reason i bring this up is because i'm not sure this is what TS is after.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
not to get into semantics, but i'd hardly consider "nothing else matters" a heavy metal song. the reason i bring this up is because i'm not sure this is what TS is after.


depends on how you get into it, some people would call even zeppelin and AC/DC heavy metal

just one of james hetfield's "HUH"s is 10x as heavy as both of their entire catalogs

but that's just cause i'm used to thinking of heavy metal as "leather jackets and power chords" rather than metal as a whole

ts what would you like to contribute to this discussion
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
I thought Iron Maiden and some power metal bands used secondary dominants...
__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.