Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

metalcore has negative mids.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

10-0-10. Instant metal!
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danresn
Apparently the metal zone works really well as a boost in front of a distorted amp. So the amp would be set up with all the gain you want, put the EQ of the boss pedal relatively flat and then turn the distortion on the pedal to 0 and the volume to 10. I know it's designed to be a distortion pedal but it does apparently really work as a boost to a distorted amp.

No, the Metal Zone does not work that way. It sounds pretty terrible as a boost, in fact. (Even more terrible than it does when used as intended.)
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
KailM

^^Metalcore as a genre actually has a decent amount of mids, I don't know what you guys are listening to. (You're probably just joking though).

And yes, the 6505 is pretty much the king of metalcore amps. It's a very middy amp, even if you scoop them.

Anyway, that amp would be perfect for TS. But also, I need to weigh in here -- it's not just a metalcore amp. It's highly versatile as a general metal amp. I don't play metalcore at all and I'm VERY happy with mine. Plenty of other bands use them for death metal, thrash, black metal etc. A blues amp it is not, however...
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #25
Robbgnarly

There is a country guitarist I have seen that uses a 5150II and he sounds amazing

and yes no mids = muddy undefined crap, so stick that in your pipe.....
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Austin174

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
$470 used? That's pretty high. I wouldn't pay a dime over $400.

And you can get them for $500 new at GC right now, using their "$100 off purchase of $599" October sale.

Well the amp was $379.99 then I bought a warrenty which was $49.99 and shipping was $30-$35. I wish I would have know they had that offer before hand I would have biought a brand new one.
Peavey 6505+ 112
Austin174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
zilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin174
Well the amp was $379.99 then I bought a warrenty which was $49.99 and shipping was $30-$35. I wish I would have know they had that offer before hand I would have biought a brand new one.

You could've bought a 5150 combo man.

If you bought it within the last 30 days (I'm assuming you did) I think you can return it for a full refund.
Guitar center has a 30 satisfaction policy, if I remember correctly.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #28
Carl21221

As mentioned before; Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, a tubescreamer of some kind and a guitar with teh EeehEmmmJeeezzz (EMGs) in them is pretty much the typical rig for metalcore tone.
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #29
Guitar-KID125
UG's Hottest MoFo

Well in actual fact, Parkway record with primarily Framus Cobra's. That said, a 5150/6505, a guitar with an EMG 81 and a OD will get you pretty darn close. The Framus' tone is not THAT different from the Peavey's, just jack up the mids with a nice helping of bass.
People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Guitar-KID125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #30
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Engl e530 can be had for 600. Does your Crate have an FX loop
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
Viban
UG's resident bum

I forgot that you have to put your guitar in 6 string bass tuning, and play right next to the bassist so nobody can tell who is doing what, and if you wanna be really -core you have to have your guitar hanging lower than your nads and be doing the splits while you play three power chords repeatedly.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #32
toxicsnowmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan19
I was just thinking in the long run that he isn't going to always play only metalcore, most likely hes going to move on to other styles and expand on his influences. so this amp will be better in that way.

Well I don't only play metalcore, I have been playing for around 5 years now and I play just about everything else. It is just my favorite because... I think it's the most challenging I suppose.
toxicsnowmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
FenrirFangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicsnowmen
Well I don't only play metalcore, I have been playing for around 5 years now and I play just about everything else. It is just my favorite because... I think it's the most challenging I suppose.

If you can't afford a 5150 or 6505, definitely keep an eye out for a Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus. I actually prefer them to the 5150 or 6505. It still has that crunchy, buzzsaw-like 5150 high gain sound, but it also has an AWESOME clean and reverb, and an AWESOME crunch channel.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ well compared to the 6505 I suppose they do, but they aren't what I'd describe as awesome.

If you don't only play metalcore, you should definitely look out for a 5150 combo. they are more versatile in my opinion and I like the crunchy, thrashy tone of the 5150 over the all out metal of the 6505.

Please disregard the joke posts, some people just like to be popular and don't realize they're making asses of themselves. (no offense to anyone...but you should feel bad).

many people on this site are genuinely helpful.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #35
toxicsnowmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
^ well compared to the 6505 I suppose they do, but they aren't what I'd describe as awesome.

If you don't only play metalcore, you should definitely look out for a 5150 combo. they are more versatile in my opinion and I like the crunchy, thrashy tone of the 5150 over the all out metal of the 6505.

Please disregard the joke posts, some people just like to be popular and don't realize they're making asses of themselves. (no offense to anyone...but you should feel bad).

many people on this site are genuinely helpful.

Thanks, I kind of figured they are just messing around but I just don't like how so many people bash on Metalcore and I don't even know why. I have asked my parents generation and they say it's because they don't even consider it to be metal and that it's for pussies, which I don't understand because it is usually heavier than what they listen to. I mean I won't full out quit the forums just because of people on the internet, it's just annoying.
toxicsnowmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #36
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

it's the image and attitude of the fans that are so closely tied to the genre, or at least a small number of people with that inclination causing others to jump on the bandwagon. I couldn't care less, to each his own
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Viban
UG's resident bum

I just like to give ya'll -core folks a hard time. I honestly think some of it is ok just as with every genre. I go to some local shows that often feature -core bands in support of some friends who are in them and some of the bands are really good, some are not so much. Though I still can't understand whats so wrong with Standard tuning, why is so much core music in drop C and such tunings?

Last edited by Viban : 10-30-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #38
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
I just like to give ya'll -core folks a hard time. I honestly think some of it is ok just as with every genre. I go to some local shows that often feature -core bands in support of some friends who are in them and some of the bands are really good, some are not so much. Though I still can't understand whats so wrong with Standard tuning, why is so much core music in drop C and such tunings?

Variety. Its the spice of life.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

lots of prog is in c standard, mastodon for example. Standard just doesn't do it for ya sometimes. Drop C# is my favorite tuning and I don't play -core. I play blues and grunge and prog and it just sounds heavy and awesome.

of course I am a bassist at heart, so that may have something to do with it.

seriously though if everything was in standard or even Eb standard, I would be bored to tears. it is the spice of life as mentioned above.

back on track. TS can you try these amps?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #40
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Variety. Its the spice of life.

Its not really variety if every single other band in the genre also does it. Isn't C standard only like 4 semitones down regardless?
I would enjoy core music far more if it was less rhythm driven and more content driven, maybe a guitar solo as opposed to a "breakdown". Though I really like some of the ambient synth that you hear in this sort of music, and the guitar doesn't gnaw at me too much. What really gets me is the screaming, I would enjoy it far more if it didn't hurt my ears to the extent that it does, and this is coming from the guy who used to play with the treble and gain dimed with a shrill distortion in front of that. Though I do appreciate the talents associated with the genre, the "breakdowns" do require talent with strumming patterns, unless I've been doing it all wrong and the screaming is actually not too much for me if it is done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
lots of prog is in c standard, mastodon for example. Standard just doesn't do it for ya sometimes. Drop C# is my favorite tuning and I don't play -core. I play blues and grunge and prog and it just sounds heavy and awesome.

of course I am a bassist at heart, so that may have something to do with it.
?

This here I understand whole-heartedly, I leave my acoustic in B standard because I want to start bass playing, but I still am yet to buy my first tube amp that I am lusting after, so I continue to wait.

Last edited by Viban : 10-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Rate This Thread: