Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Me either! Isnt it funny how the people on this thread are joking around with each other using insults??? Talk about laugh...!!

Or have I got it wrong...?

Anyone...?

..anyone...?

<<cue cricket chirp noise>>

I can't tell if your being friendly or belittling me...
but I'll take the benefit of the doubt
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
arthur_s

It's a kind of major topic to discuss about. The're numerous sources that explain something from this and something from that. A while ago I found a resource that helped me to learn guitar, to know a little bit more about it and also to get familiar with the guitar keys. Here it is: www.guitar-guide-easy.com

I'm sure you'll find useful tips here. It helped me to find new ways of practice
arthur_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
Xter
Plays Guitar Way To Much

A key in simple terms is more of a template. It makes reading sheet music easy if you practice sight reading often. It arranges what sharps or flats are more persisent in a key. Doesn't mean there won't be a sharp, natural, or flat outside the key in the piecie. (For example: In the key of A Major, you might see an F natural somewhere, indicated by a natural sign next to it)

For your question, do you know about constructing chords, about intervals, and harmonizing the major and minor scales? They would be your first step into learning how to effectively use chord progressions. If you rely on a capo to solve this issue you are 1). Limiting your voicings as you go higher on the neck 2). Cheating yourself and 3). Cheating the people you jam with.

Not saying capos are bad, but only when you use it as a crutch to play in different keys.
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90

Last edited by Xter : 10-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Xter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #24
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I can't tell if your being friendly or belittling me...
but I'll take the benefit of the doubt

Being friendly! Sorry you misunderstood!
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
this is how things work in life. there's no excuse for being wrong, and there's no excuse for teaching others wrong information. if you knew what the hell you were talking about, i absolutely would have agreed with you. i don't care about tearing you down -- doing that is a waste of my time. i already know my shit. TS doesn't, and i'm saving him a lot of time an effort by giving him methods that will get him better results..

if you want to sit here and bitch about me tearing you down rather than accept the possibility that you might be wrong and have much to improve on, it might be why you have wrong information in the first place, or why you don't have the results you're looking for.

there is no passiveness in my aggression. i can use a to help accentuate when i am being sarcastic.

my comment was mainly toward how much more you posted to discredit my post than to answer the TS question in the first place.

you do seem to be more helpful when 'tearing down' (maybe the term 'critiquing' would sound less passive aggressive) another post than addressing the initial answer.

and evidently being wrong is a grievous crime here. it seems pretty unacceptable to from my viewpoint.

i tend to hold a different point of view on being wrong though.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i tend to hold a different point of view on being wrong though.

then that explains your attitude and your lack of results. i mean, if you have to post a seventeen-minute kathryn schulz tirade to try and give yourself credibility...i mean, that's really tantamount to the fallacies in your argument.

is it any wonder you don't have any of the right answers? you're so focused on being wrong. but i digress - if you have a different view on "being wrong" then you are definitely not qualified to educate someone in a subject.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #27
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
then that explains your attitude and your lack of results. i mean, if you have to post a seventeen-minute kathryn schulz tirade to try and give yourself credibility...i mean, that's really tantamount to the fallacies in your argument.

is it any wonder you don't have any of the right answers? you're so focused on being wrong. but i digress - if you have a different view on "being wrong" then you are definitely not qualified to educate someone in a subject.

it's not about giving myself credibility. but it does concern me that you are more motivated to 'put me in my place' than to give advice to the OP.

you've plainly showed beyond a shadow of a doubt i am not credible. the talk also addresses how we treat people people that are wrong, how strange it is that we take opportunities to treat people that are wrong badly.

mainly, i am just trying to draw attention to more productive ways to treat people that are wrong.

i am wrong, you have shown a superior knowledge than me, you have inspired me to become more knowledgeable. wouldn't your own knowledge be better served to advice people who ask for help rather than spending a good amount of effort assuring people they are not as knowledgeable as you?

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
it's not about giving myself credibility. but it does concern me that you are more motivated to 'put me in my place' than to give advice to the OP.

you've plainly showed beyond a shadow of a doubt i am not credible. the talk also addresses how we treat people people that are wrong, how strange it is that we take opportunities to treat people that are wrong badly.

mainly, i am just trying to draw attention to more productive ways to treat people that are wrong.

i am wrong, you have shown a superior knowledge than me, you have inspired me to become more knowledgeable. wouldn't your own knowledge be better served to advice people who ask for help rather than spending a good amount of effort assuring people they are not as knowledgeable as you?

you don't need me to show that you're not credible -- you took care of that. i simply alerted TS to not pay attention to what you said, and gave him the correct information in your stead. i prevented TS from falling into the traps you fell into - i think that's pretty damn good help.

credibility is indeed an issue - why would somebody listen to advice from someone who isn't credible? i don't think you're thinking this through - you're just trying to use sophistry to create an argument. hell, even the fact that i'm still responding to this drivel is testament enough that i'm trying to help you out.

when people ask for help, i help them. nothing wrong with acknowledging the fact that you don't know something and asking about it. but it's another thing completely to make incorrect assertions. if you disagree, then i'm sorry you feel that way.

if you can't take anything out of this productively, and still feel the need to butt heads, then all i can tell you is to go teach a "psychology and feelings" class at your local community college, where you can go tell people how to think like kathryn schulz.

the choice is yours. all i'm doing is using logic - i'm not in control over whether you choose to be offended or not.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #29
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

AW..... i notice your location... cant have been the greatest of weeks.... hope all is well mate
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
AW..... i notice your location... cant have been the greatest of weeks.... hope all is well mate

thank you, i'm fine i was one of the fortunate ones who never even lost power! we got an assload of wind, though. never in any danger of flood, or anything like that.

other parts of the city, however, were less fortunate - and apparently my accountant's house burned to the ground. nonetheless, thank you for your concern, but we're all good!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
this is how things work in life. there's no excuse for being wrong

That, if I may say so, is class-A nonsense.

Being wrong about something is just fine because everyone gets to make mistakes.

Not only is that a massively unrealistic expectation to maintain "there's no excuse for being wrong" it's also a repugnant attitude to have. I can tell you that if you said that to me in a lesson I'd be visiting someone else for lessons from then on and it's doubtful I'd even bother to tell you why I wasn't interested in you teaching me any more, I'd simply cancel my lessons and move on. But you wouldn't need me to tell you why that happened: You should already know because "there's no excuse for being wrong".

It's people's reactions to getting things wrong that matter, not their being wrong in the first place. And that often has a lot to do with how their mistakes are brought to their attention. If you go around with an overbearing attitude it shouldn't surprise you when people don't take kindly to it. That is how things work in life.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
jonathan.keeler

Okay, question for all the theorists on here. I have done my grade 5 theory, but keys were always my weakest part.

what key is this bass lick in?
[IMG][/IMG]
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

First things first - what clef is that?
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
jonathan.keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
First things first - what clef is that?

sorry, i did not realise i had chopped that off. its in bass
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Those 8 bars alone? A minor.

Within the context of the whole song? Who knows?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #36
jonathan.keeler

thanks for the help. It seems though that the last two bars are in a different key because of all the accidentals. is this right or am i just being a tard?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #37
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

The D# in bar 41 is just a blue note, and it's so fast that it's just a passing tone. the F# is just a natural 6 like you find in melodic minor so yea Am like mdc says.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.keeler
or am i just being a tard?

This.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #39
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Allow me to weigh in on the AW/ gumb thing.

AW you know me...gumb, you don't. Here's how I see it:

gumb, credit for you for trying to help. Clearly you have "some" knowledge there, and I see you've been trying to put it together. However you have gaps, and AW was right, and you did oversimplify things, and by adding serialism, you further muddied the water concerning the relative knowledge of the TS.

AW we've been here in countless threads where people have been plain idiots where they are trying to "teach" wrong ideas to people, and when we confront them, they fight back and turn into even deeper fools and idiots, and they cannot be reasoned with. They take way more energy than they are worth, yet we brave and fight our way through to protect the integrity of the information. I get it, you have seen me do it too.

I'm thinking that after a while...we just become less tolerant, after the 50th time, everyone starts to resemble an energy draining idiot, that gives wrong information. I think that's what's happened here AW. The drive is the same, to protect the information, and not let the TS get misled, but we are ragged around the edges, less patient...it's understandable.

I don't think in this case however, gumb realized he was wrong. That's the important part to this - coming down on someone that doesnt know it....there are better ways to do it without attacking them. I get where it comes from, but there really are better ways. If he'd argued back and such, then you go from ignorant to an idiot.

Now I agree that initially I saw his response as passive aggressive and I think that his point that you responded to him and not to the TS, is not endemic to the discussion. Sometimes, we can help by providing answers, and other times we can help by challenging incorrect advice/information, so I think that how you responded to him, was on point and helpful to the topic.

That being said, I do believe that gumb is cut from a slightly different cloth than the typical idiot. In spite of the back and forth I detect a genuine humility, not sarcasm. I don't think you, gumb handled it the greatest either, but I believe in your sincerity of being deferent to AW and yet at the same time, a bit snippy in your own right.

I think both sides could handle it better. I think gumb certainly has something to offer here, and largely appears teachable, and I think AW, you've certainly proven your worth...I just think at times we can feel burned out and be a bit on the cranky side...I say that because I get that way. After the 1000th time of this...its easy to do so. I know you are passionate about the right information being shared, hell I'm the same way, and you've seen your share of that over the 4000+ messages I've posted here.

In the end, I think we all mean well.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
That, if I may say so, is class-A nonsense.

Being wrong about something is just fine because everyone gets to make mistakes.

Not only is that a massively unrealistic expectation to maintain "there's no excuse for being wrong" it's also a repugnant attitude to have. I can tell you that if you said that to me in a lesson I'd be visiting someone else for lessons from then on and it's doubtful I'd even bother to tell you why I wasn't interested in you teaching me any more, I'd simply cancel my lessons and move on. But you wouldn't need me to tell you why that happened: You should already know because "there's no excuse for being wrong".

It's people's reactions to getting things wrong that matter, not their being wrong in the first place. And that often has a lot to do with how their mistakes are brought to their attention. If you go around with an overbearing attitude it shouldn't surprise you when people don't take kindly to it. That is how things work in life.

i'm sorry you feel that way. again, it's all about attitude. if, instead of being open to a new attitude, you feel the need to dismiss it and rebut me, then that does explain a lot.

it's okay to make mistakes - you need to. the opposite is not possible. but there is simply no excuse for being wrong. frankly, it sounds like you're not thinking about it the right way. maybe the saying is right - perhaps you can't teach an old dog new tricks. regardless, i suggest you think about it a little more from a different angle. if you're bringing up teaching, you're definitely approaching this from the wrong angle.

three words: attitude. determines. results. if you take a no-nonsense, no-bullshit attitude, your results skyrocket. i'm also guessing you disagree with that. but you're entitled to your opinion. there are people who don't believe in the proven theory of evolution, either.

i think Sean's got it right.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: