Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
ChaosGuitaristx

Just got a new guitar, then a tech dented it, what should I do?

Hey guys, I finally was able to get my hands on a Jackson Matt Tuck Signature, used, but in pristine condition and having the origional case and such.

I took it into guitar center to get the action raised, because I hadn't worked with that kind of bridge (my other guitar has a floyd rose) and the first thing the tech did was slam the top fin into the table.

Now it has a fairly decently sized dent in the back of it, and I don't know if I should return it, or what, or if there is a way to get it fixed, he said I could take it to the store down in the city to get it "filled" or something to that effect.

Theres a pic of it, so yea, can I get some opinions?

http://tinypic.com/r/whdwqu/6

Thanks.
ChaosGuitaristx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Did you get it at the same store?

Demand a new one. That's ridiculous. Or at the very least, tell them they're paying for the repair. What was his excuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
miio

Definitely ask for a new one or at least make the tech pay for the repair.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
ChaosGuitaristx

He didn't make me do anything, but the problem is about the guitar, its been discontinued for a year, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it used. Got it off of Guitar Center's website, it shipped from PA to IL.

I'm quite peeved, and he really didn't have an excuse, he just said "sorry man" and I was like, thanks, I've wanted this guitar for 2 years, finally get it, and you do this.

Might return it and just wait for the BC Rich Matt Tuck Signature to be released to the public.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

**** that. It's the guitar you've wanted for 2 years, make him pay for a repair and a refinish. Definitely go over his head for this.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

As soon as i read the title i knew it had to be GC. Most of their "techs" treat instruments like crap and charge beginners who dont know anything $60 for a string change. Look around your area for a real shop for future referance. If i were you i would raise hell at the manager and demand the problem be fixed, you dont even have to be nice about it cause if they are treating your instruent like crap you should treat them like crap
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

How does the guitar feel in your hands? No two guitars feel exactly the same. I don't know if I would risk trading in a guitar that fits me perfect for another of the same model that might not. But that's just me, personally.

Just have the tech fill it for free. That seems the easiest solution. That, or ask for a partial refund as if you would have bought the guitar B-stock.

I mean, the tech shouldn't have scratched it, but does a scratch really ruin a guitar to you guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
As soon as i read the title i knew it had to be GC. Most of their "techs" treat instruments like crap and charge beginners who dont know anything $60 for a string change. Look around your area for a real shop for future referance. If i were you i would raise hell at the manager and demand the problem be fixed, you dont even have to be nice about it cause if they are treating your instruent like crap you should treat them like crap

Because every single GC is the same .

You can be stern, but acting pissed probably won't win you anything extra. It's a business just like any other.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Last edited by JustRooster : 10-28-2012 at 03:43 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
ChaosGuitaristx

I knew that this guitar center was pretty shit, but I will definitely raise hell. I'll probably call tomorrow and see what I can do. At this point, I don't know what exactly a refinish will do, or what that will entail.

I thought that this would actually be a simple fix, simply cause I hadn't worked with a string thru body with a tunomatic bridge before.

So, I will raise hell and see what I can do, or at least come up with some serious terms to try to get this all fixed. If I did it, it would be one thing, but if 5 seconds after it gets into a techs hands and it gets damaged, thats just ridiculous.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Probably not what you want to hear, but just to weigh in as an alternative opinion, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Sure, it's a dick move, and that is absolutely no way to deal with a customer's instrument. I'm not condoning his actions in any way.

But it is a V guitar. It WILL get dinged and dented and scuffed as you use it. Trying to keep a guitar, *especially* a V guitar in pristine condition is a fool's errand.

But again, this is coming from someone who loves the look of natural wear and tear on a guit.

EDIT: Actually, while I'm at the pulpit, I'll say that this is an excellent example of why you should learn to set up and work on your guitars yourself. A guitar is an extremely personal item - why would you let any ol' ass clown work on *your* guitar for you?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 10-28-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Nope. Go in and raise hell. You'll accomplish much, much more.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Probably not what you want to hear, but just to weigh in as an alternative opinion, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Sure, it's a dick move, and that is absolutely no way to deal with a customer's instrument. I'm not condoning his actions in any way.

But it is a V guitar. It WILL get dinged and dented and scuffed as you use it. Trying to keep a guitar, *especially* a V guitar in pristine condition is a fool's errand.

But again, this is coming from someone who loves the look of natural wear and tear on a guit.

I dunno. That's a pretty nasty dent, I used to own a V and while it got a bit beat up on the horns, it was never that bad.

That and I like beating guitars up myself, just doesn't feel the same if someone else does it.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Again, explain the situation. I used to work as a tech. Getting angry with me was NOT the way to get what you needed. In fact, the more understanding customers got extra stuff and services for free from me.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug

Dents suck. It's inevitable. Accept it and you'll be happy.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Again, explain the situation. I used to work as a tech. Getting angry with me was NOT the way to get what you needed. In fact, the more understanding customers got extra stuff and services for free from me.

Well, from hearing the attitude of the tech, he didn't seem very apologetic or willing to help him out. From what TS said, he said just said "Sorry" and passed it along.

If we ****ed up on a guitar like that at our store we wouldn't have to be told to get something done, we'd just do what it takes to get the customer happy. The fact they didn't do that means they're trying not to have to pay anything to get it fixed.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #15
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug

Speaking of dents, it looks like someone fired an RPG at Eppicurt's Powerball. O_O;
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #16
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I bought it second hand from a band called Buried in Verona who'd toured all over Europe with it and the dude had had it for about 4 years. It works perfectly fine and everything, just a little rustic.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #17
Dellinger1988
UG's only Krank

You should have left the guitar with them until they fixed it.. i bet they will f**k you over now
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt

I bought it second hand from a band called Buried in Verona who'd toured all over Europe with it and the dude had had it for about 4 years. It works perfectly fine and everything, just a little rustic.

Nothing wrong with a little age!
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

1) they damaged it, they're responsible for repairing it.

2) be firm but polite. Talk to the manager if you have to.

3) if they don't fix it, take the guitar somewhere else for a repair estimate, then threaten to sue.

4) if that does not work, write a detailed formal complaint to corporate.

5) if corporate does not take satisfactory action, take them to small claims court. Claim the cost of the repairs plus any other reasonable costs you incur (such as for gas, if the shop doing the repairs is far away).

If you get to step 5, you WILL have to find another music store.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
ChaosGuitaristx

Well, how exactly would something like this end up getting repaired? I've never had something this large end up happening to any of my guitars, I try to keep them fairly clean of scratches and such?

And trust me guys, I will talk to managers/etc to get whatever I can out of this.

Rate This Thread: