Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
dannyalcatraz

If it isn't repairable or not the kind of thing that is commonly repaired, ask for a bit of cash. Or come up with other solutions- a gift card, some gear, a future discount- don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

The bottom line is that they damaged your guitar, it is their responsibility to make you- their customer- as whole & as happy as they can.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #22
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

When you're all done doing whatever it is you're gonna do NEVER EVER take your gear to guitar center for any form of maintenance.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #23
Captaincranky

For a large dent to be fixed perfectly, unfortunately it would likely end up as a strip, fill, and reshoot the entire guitar operation. Paint matching on anything other than a brand new item, is far from a guaranteed event. Even on brand new stuff, the colors don't always match right out of the can.

This is a huge setback, I sympathize with you. Me being a slightly paranoid soul, as well as someone who's aware that a tech should know better, would have me thinking he did it on purpose....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #24
Chad11491

It's a solid, non metallic color. They'll have it fixed in one day. What I'd do is drip fill with a matching color and sand smooth and buff out.

I chipped my black super strat once. I filled the chip with black nail polish and sanded smooth and buffed it out. It looks perfect six months later. Literally unnoticeable.

Let them fix it, but demand it be perfect. It's easy to do, that's the beauty of solid colored guitars!
Self made super strat
Egnater Tweaker head/212 Cab
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #25
ChaosGuitaristx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491
It's a solid, non metallic color. They'll have it fixed in one day. What I'd do is drip fill with a matching color and sand smooth and buff out.

I chipped my black super strat once. I filled the chip with black nail polish and sanded smooth and buffed it out. It looks perfect six months later. Literally unnoticeable.

Let them fix it, but demand it be perfect. It's easy to do, that's the beauty of solid colored guitars!

For sure, if I had got the silver sparkle version, I'd probably be really screwed.

Hopefuly everything turns out for the better.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
ChaosGuitaristx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #26
OldEscape
Banned

Make sure you have the names of the people that work there that were around when it happened, then bring it to the manager's attention, they may even have cameras that caught the incident. I hope they do right by you in this situation, I've had problems with guitar center before and they didn't do right by me, the managers wouldn't even be accountable in my instance after I just bought a $2000 guitar from them and gave some brainless dick-wad decent commission. Needless to say I don't shop there anymore because of it. Good luck getting guitar center to be accountable, musician's friend is just as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The bottom line is that they damaged your guitar, it is their responsibility to make you- their customer- as whole & as happy as they can.

^ That's all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I mean, the tech shouldn't have scratched it, but does a scratch really ruin a guitar to you guys?

It'd be a different story if the OP did it, in this instance the tech marred it. Yes, a scratch really ruins your guitar when you're not the one to put the scratch there in the first place.

This is the reason I don't take my stuff to guitar center, you're better off googling a luthier in your area. Most of those guys that work there don't know jack about instruments, they are there to make a sale, no more, no less.
OldEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #27
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

That sucks man. It's not the worst ding in the world but it wasn't even you who done it so I'm totally with you on getting them to fix it.

All my dings in my guitars seem to be done by friends. I've stopped them using them now. It's really annoying. It's gonna happen but they're my guitars, I should be the one to relic them.

I've bought a Squire Strat for £25 for them to use. That's the punishment.

Definitely keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #28
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

I'm with most of you guys. You need to get it fixed and sorted out, even if it meant that you're never going to be the customer of GC again.

However, as I have setup my own Gibson LP for a long time, I don't know how they've been able to make a dent like that... They have to be more than a bit careless to do that. I think that something like a small dent near the tuners cause of a screwdriver slipping is understandable. Although, I've never been able to make a dent with that one, barely a scratch.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
ugeguy1

i agree with everyone on this post, just demand a repair.
and plus, is it true what i've heard of charging 60$ for a string change?
i'm in europe, and the store i go to, they do everything free of charge. i'm talking about string changes, equipment instalation... you just pay for the materials, the rest is free
ugeguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I doubt they will, or even can, repair that.

Personally, I would raise Hell. I wouldn't leave with no less than a full refund AND a gift card. I guarantee the store employees do not want you to call the corporation and complain, especially with a legitimate case of incompetence like this. Maybe the tech doesn't care if you complain, but his manager and the store manager do.

But I guess if you don't mind the dent, you can demand some sort of compensation. Either way, I wouldn't let them get away with that.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

If raising hell doesn't work, get a lawyer to write a letter. You don't even need to hire him, but have him write a letter. For a small fee, you get them to say something with their letterhead and it's taken a lot more seriously than just "some guy" raising hell. To them a lawyer is a serious threat.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
jpcl

If you don't manage to get your way of compensation, there's only one suggestion to be made.

He's a guitar tech, so he's bound to like and own guitars. Catch him when he's working, go to his house, break in, and try to do an exact copy of the dent on his guitar(s), then leave a piece of paper with a smiling 9gag face. He'll regret the fact he wasn't more careful with your guitar for sure.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
JKHC

Is calling corporate or getting a lawyer even necessary?

The guys at my GC are always ready to throw free stuff (straps/strings) at anyone who even looks at a scratch on demo gear. I think they'd be willing to compensate by fixing it or with a gift card or something.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #34
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcl
If you don't manage to get your way of compensation, there's only one suggestion to be made.

He's a guitar tech, so he's bound to like and own guitars. Catch him when he's working, go to his house, break in, and try to do an exact copy of the dent on his guitar(s), then leave a piece of paper with a smiling 9gag face. He'll regret the fact he wasn't more careful with your guitar for sure.
Yeah right. Two felonies will even the score. If doing 5 to 10 is your idea of even.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Yeah right. Two felonies will even the score. If doing 5 to 10 is your idea of even.

Exactly, just punch him in the face. 1 misdemeanor is better than 2 felonies.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
2PtDescartes

They're guitar center so they should back you up. They have a 30 day return anything policy so you can return the guitar for a full refund since you bought it from them. They would much rather compensate you for their bonehead tech, if you still want the axe at all that is.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #37
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

The risk with this is if you take it back to the tech to get it repaired, unless it's a stellar job that makes it look as good as when you took it in there (which I doubt, as being that it's all lost time and money to GC to do this, they will want to just get it done cheap and spend as little tech time on it as they can), you probably won't be happy with the job and this will cause further bad blood.

Also, the tech could possibly botch the repair also or GC may just claim they can't perform an effective repair on a ding like that and not take it in.

I'd just ask for a replacement or refund, whichever is more forthcoming.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 10-28-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Is calling corporate or getting a lawyer even necessary?

Going over a manager's head to corporate is to be done if and only if the manager refuses to have his store take responsibility. By contacting corporate, you give THEM a chance to correct the situation and chew the manager's ass for poor customer service.

As for the lawyer, I'm assuming you're referring to my suing in small claims suggestion? Small claims is almost 100% pro se- people representing themselves before the judge*. IOW, the inspiration for shows like The People's Court.

* The one time I represented a client in small claims, the judge was surprised. He'd never had one before him.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #39
solidrane
Wekk Blka

Contact through the GC website, much more "agreeable" people, the managers at the GC's i've been to have acted like asshats likely stressed by the sonic shitstorm that happens everyday at the the guitar center.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky

You do know what a joke is right?
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: