Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
farmosh203

Honestly, I'd just let it go. I cried myself to sleep when I bought my Edwards E-AL-166 and dented the fin within the first week, but sometimes you just have to get over it and accept it.
farmosh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #42
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmosh203
Honestly, I'd just let it go. I cried myself to sleep when I bought my Edwards E-AL-166 and dented the fin within the first week, but sometimes you just have to get over it and accept it.

That's not the point. He didn't do it himself. He bought a new guitar and some idiot dented it.

It's like letting a mechanic or a friend borrow your new car and he comes back with a dent in the side of it and just saying "Well, cars get into accidents. Just get over it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #43
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

eat his children
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #44
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
It's like letting a mechanic or a friend borrow your new car and he comes back with a dent in the side of it and just saying "Well, cars get into accidents. Just get over it."

Perfect analogy
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #45
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Probably not what you want to hear, but just to weigh in as an alternative opinion, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Sure, it's a dick move, and that is absolutely no way to deal with a customer's instrument. I'm not condoning his actions in any way.

But it is a V guitar. It WILL get dinged and dented and scuffed as you use it. Trying to keep a guitar, *especially* a V guitar in pristine condition is a fool's errand.

But again, this is coming from someone who loves the look of natural wear and tear on a guit.

EDIT: Actually, while I'm at the pulpit, I'll say that this is an excellent example of why you should learn to set up and work on your guitars yourself. A guitar is an extremely personal item - why would you let any ol' ass clown work on *your* guitar for you?

I agree with all of this.

I spent about a year babying my guitar until one day I found a dent and had NO idea how it got there. Needless to say at the time I was pissed, but about two days after that I actually started to enjoy my guitar. Dents rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
I dunno. That's a pretty nasty dent, I used to own a V and while it got a bit beat up on the horns, it was never that bad.

really? I thought it looked pretty minor

oh well, all in all you should be perfectly entitled to getting them to pay for repairs but either way just enjoy your guitar man, dents are awesome.

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
Sinfinity000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosGuitaristx
Might return it and just wait for the BC Rich Matt Tuck Signature to be released to the public.

It's been released to the public, you can get it online at gearhounds.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1221
I just keep listening to her voice in hopes that one day it'll have sex with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyVengeance
This one time, a dude touched my junk.

I immediately came and started farting.
Sinfinity000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #47
Captaincranky

The part of this that's specifically annoying to me is that a TECH, who should know better, damaged the instrument. I wonder if the tech was just being cavalier and disrespectful, or maybe even a little jealous, and that affected his treatment of the guitar. You can't help but think he should know better, and that leads to wondering if it was intentional. Or, at the very least, the disrespect was intentional, but the collateral damage was not.

With that said, thus far, GC hasn't weighed in on how they're going to make TS "whole" on the situation.So, they haven't refused having the repair work done. At least not yet. Accordingly, most of the replies have been hysterical, worst case scenario rants.

TS, I went to your picture of the ding, and and left with a question, and an observation:

In the dark stripe, is that wood grain, or a reflection of the corduroy upholstery I'm seeing? 'Cause wood grain would complicate the repair issue a bit.

You really need to attend to the camera's white balance if you're going to take pictures under artificial light.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfinity000
In my admittedly very limited experience with shopping at their site, it doesn't seem that they're the best place to go with respect to price.

(I could be wrong, I was shopping for low availability, "Crafter", hybrid guitars at the time).
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
ChaosGuitaristx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfinity000

Last time I checked, and this was back in august, I messaged the BC Rich Facebook and they said they were confirming some final things with matt, so it could be a preorder, going to give them a call.
ChaosGuitaristx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

I forget exactly why this came up, but I had a conversation once with a manager at my local Guitar Center about their guitar techs, and I distinctly remember him telling me that their techs are not actually considered Guitar Center employees. I think it was something about how they get paid on a contract basis for the work they do rather than getting a regular pay check, so they're not considered regular employees.

Don't quote me on that because the older I get the worse my memory is. And every store could be different. But I thought I should point out that since some people are throwing around words like "sue" and "lawyer". Legally they might be able to claim some BS loophole if the tech wasn't officially a Guitar Center employee.

Your best bet is to be a nice guy, and really play up the fact that this was a guitar you wanted for a long time and you're really disappointed about how it got dinged when the tech was working on it. With any luck you'll catch the manager on a good day and he'll make it right without having to fight.

But honestly if they start pushing back I'm not sure what to tell you. You could threaten to sue, but don't make the mistake of thinking that will scare them into fixing it. They have deep pockets and an entire legal team at their disposal. Do you?
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Don't quote me on that because the older I get the worse my memory is. And every store could be different. But I thought I should point out that since some people are throwing around words like "sue" and "lawyer". Legally they might be able to claim some BS loophole if the tech wasn't officially a Guitar Center employee.

Point of fact: The lawyer who brought it all up did so only as a last resort, after all other measures have failed, and did not suggest using a lawyer at all.

Or to channel my inner Patrick Swayze, be nice until it it time to not be nice.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #52
SteveHOC
Used Register

I worked for them, and they are a pretty tricky company:
Contact the corporate online only after speaking with a manager. The tech likely wont give a shit, as they're Guitar Center monkeys who don't make enough money to care. They will either replace the instrument or refund your money, that shouldn't be any concern. Raising hell will likely not get you anywhere, with as big of a company as they are.
Also, Musician's Friend, Music and Arts, and Guitar Center are all of the same parent company, and the chain of command is insane, hence all the loopholes and questions of authority.
Honestly, get the District Manager's name, and contact him (or her). Their jobs are so stressful and shitty that they will do anything to keep you from going over their head.
Hope this helps!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #53
CustomAxe

In your position, I'd probably just ask the manager to refund some money. Yes, he had no right to damage your guitar. But...

1) As has been mentioned, its a V and you will DEFINITELY do that to it yourself in a matter of weeks unless you play sitting down in an open space all the time.

2). You seem to really like the guitar and it being a hard-to-find piece, maybe its not best to return.

Either way you should NOT incur any costs to repair, and you sure as hell shouldn't have to truck it over by yourself to some repair shop. That's all on them.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #54
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I haven't read all the responses here but another option, if GC refuses to budge, would be to complain to your local Better Business Bureau.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #55
Stormymonday

I hate guitar center..rether build my own then buy from them! Pitch a fit in the store,demand to see the manager,see if you can get that "tech" Fired! You save up and wait that special guitar and some jerk damages it for You..while your in the store..having them do the work on it!! He needs to lose his job! Period! Its called customer service..and (You) the customer is Always Right!!
Stormymonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #56
offcell

When I bought my Edwards 9 years ago I was only 16 and didn't have a car (in fact illegal to drive under 18 in my country), so I biked with it on my back. On like the fourth day of owning it one of the pedals broke right in the middle, so I fell off it and my new guitar hit the pavement. It made a crack in the top binding and another dent in the finish. Luckily nothing else was seemingly hurt, as the guitar still plays and sounds awesome today.

The point is, dings do not matter that much Anyway, since you don't seem to be friends with the guy I don't really see why you shouldn't make them pay for it / fix it. But has the OP posted again the thread? Did GC really refuse to fix it? I can't imagine that they would
offcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #57
dannyalcatraz

Regarding the techs at GC being subcontractors, thus protecting GC from liability of mistakes or malfeasance by the techs...well, the principle of vicarious liability means it ain't necessarily so.

As was posted on this insurance company's website:

Quote:
Vicarious liability may result from employer-employee relationships, principal-agent relationships or relationships with independent contractors. The principal of vicarious liability describes situations where the MANAGEMENT FACILITY will be held liable for the negligent acts of independent contractors or subcontractors - even though the MANAGEMENT FACILITY is otherwise free from all fault, did nothing to aid or encourage the subcontractors negligence, played no part in it, or even possibly did everything possible to prevent it.

(This was in the context of recreational/resort facilities, but the legal principle is still the same.)

Short version: the techs are working on GC's property, so GC may still be held liable for the techs mistakes. That liability is limited, but it still exists.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 12:42 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #58
Slunderfungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosGuitaristx
Hey guys, I finally was able to get my hands on a Jackson Matt Tuck Signature, used, but in pristine condition and having the origional case and such.

I took it into guitar center to get the action raised, because I hadn't worked with that kind of bridge (my other guitar has a floyd rose) and the first thing the tech did was slam the top fin into the table.

Now it has a fairly decently sized dent in the back of it, and I don't know if I should return it, or what, or if there is a way to get it fixed, he said I could take it to the store down in the city to get it "filled" or something to that effect.

Theres a pic of it, so yea, can I get some opinions?

http://tinypic.com/r/whdwqu/6

Thanks.

Murder/Suicide and A2MGape come to mind. Ask him if he treats his kids or wife that way. I second the suggestion of learning to do all your work yourself so these things dont happen. Really sorry this happened to you tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
Dents suck. It's inevitable. Accept it and you'll be happy.

Yeah thats the way, just become life's doormat, and except every dick move everyone throws your way. Never stand up for your self or what is right.

Last edited by Slunderfungus : 11-01-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Slunderfungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #59
Arch1119
UG's Wii

You gotta remember that your dealing with people and not a computer there, so getting angry isn't going to make your situation any better and it sure won't make the salesperson want to help. Most employees there are musicians too and understand how you feel about your guitar and will want to help you out, but don't bitch at them for something unless they did it.
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Arch1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #60
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch1119
You gotta remember that your dealing with people and not a computer there, so getting angry isn't going to make your situation any better and it sure won't make the salesperson want to help. Most employees there are musicians too and understand how you feel about your guitar and will want to help you out, but don't bitch at them for something unless they did it.

People who knowingly did what they did and didn't offer any kind of compensation, help or empathy for what they did.

**** them. Give them a rough time. Let them know you're pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: