Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
jrockz

Pickup replacement suggestions

ey guys and gals!
I'm an Ibanez player and have a couple of guitars that I want to replace the pickups on.
1. An RGEX1, I'm replacing the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio Steve's special and an Air Norton in the neck position. I need advice on what to replace the mid pickup with. I would like something that is noise cancelling but that would also compliment the other two pickups.
2. I just bought a Ibanez S1XXV in neon green and it's wicked cool but the pickups are kinda wimpy. Being that the S models are made of mahogany wood rather than basswood which RG's are made of I was wondering if you could make any suggestions on what might sound best? Now I play mostly classic metal and classic rock if that helps. I was thinking about going with Dimarzio D'activators in the bridge and neck positions but again am at a loss with what would be a good mid pickup match. Any help would be appreciated
jrockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Free bump!

inb4 whats your amp

What is your budget however?
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Crunchlab/Liquifire sound good in Mahogany.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
jrockz

Hey guys, I'm playing through two JCM 900 100watt heads and two 1960A cabs with an assortment of stomp boxes. I just bought a 25th anniversary Ibanez S1 and am going to change out the pickups. Been seriously thinking about using Dimarzio D'activators in the neck and bridge. Need to know what single coil noise cancelling mid pickup would compliment the D'activators.

jeleopard, thanks for your suggestion. were you thinking crunch lab in the neck and liquidfire in the bridge? Also what would you use in the mid position?

I hope I can get some more suggestions especially from those who have an Ibanez S model and who have replaced the stock pickups.
jrockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Crunchlab in bridge, and liquifire neck.

Liquifire is one of the best neck pickups out there, in my opinion. Sounds so smooth and stuff. Can't wait to put one in my 7 string. Crunchlab will give you... a crunchy tone. (Gasp!)

And I don't know about the middle. Maybe an Air Norton S? Gives kind of a warm sound.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: