User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

What is your next goal?

What are your next "small goals"?

For example, mine is learning proper beat displacement. Then go on to more metric modulations (and then finishing "Rhythmic Illusions", of course).

What are yours?

I thought this could be a good idea to bring some life into the forum. If we all put on our next goals, someone is BOUND to help us reach them. Perhaps someone already achieved them and has some tips to share?

Let the learning begin.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
NUMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
JAHellraiser

Get a drum set.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

Yeah, I played with pillows as a drumset and a practice pad as a snare for 1.5 years. Then 6 more months with a base drum pedal hitting the edge of my bed .

Then I got my Alesis DM10 last May, and things got real.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Skinny91
Object-beater

Rhythmic illusions is just incredible, it blew my mind when I first got it and I still haven't really got stuck into it.

I want to be able to play seamlessly between open hand and cross hand playing if I want to do a lot of tom work within a groove. I also want to get better at my shuffle and jazz.

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
whoomit

I've just started getting back into drumming after roughly 3 months of not playing. Just working on re-learning my band's album, and trying to get my stamina back up. I can't get through about 4 songs in a row now and that's it
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Steve08

For a while, this goal for me was getting my playing to the point where I'd be able to use all 4 limbs as part of regular playing, and also never cross hands (I even play blasts on the hi-hat left handed), playing open handed exclusively, which I've pretty much achieved. Recently I've been working on playing behind and in front of the beat and also making double strokes on the hands sound like single strokes.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 10-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

Skynny91: Try getting "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer", by Jim Chapin, it worked wonders for me.

Steve08: About the double strokes, you mean making them sound the same as single strokes, right?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMAS
Skynny91: Try getting "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer", by Jim Chapin, it worked wonders for me.

Steve08: About the double strokes, you mean making them sound the same as single strokes, right?
Well, I don't know about "the same" per se, but certainly closer than just playing regular snap motion doubles. If you learn to accent the second note in doubles and be able to consistently do that across a wide tempo range, at high speeds the doubles basically sound like unaccented single strokes.

Also, there is another way to play them that results in a wider, more "open" sound which I heard about from a Dave Weckl video, and have been working on recently as well:

Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
nikeshop
Banned

靴業界に新しい名前は、ソフィアウェブスターは、彼女の有望な靴のデザインを通して、<a href="http://www.kobe24shop.com"><strong>ナイキ バッシュ 新作</strong></a> みんなの注目を浴びた。デザイナーの春2013年の靴をチェックして、彼らはあなたのスタイルに合わせて参 照してください!新しい靴デザイナーはばね2013年のシーズンに向けてトーンを設定して、それがデザイナ ーソフィアウェブスターは、彼女の最新の靴のコレクションを通して示しているように、彼らはビジネスを意 味するようだ。<a href="http://www.kobe24shop.com"><strong>ズームハイパーダンク2011</strong></a> ニコラスカークウッドの翼の下で進化し、2010年に芸術とCordwainersのロイヤルカレッジ を卒業し、それが彼女の時間は有名な靴デザイナーのデザインアシスタントとして過ごしたと思われるデザイナ ーが彼女の春2013年の靴のコレクションは絶対に素晴らしいですだけでなく、彼女を務めた。

どうやら、ソフィアウェブスターのシグネチャーソフト、シングルソールデザインは、コレクション全体に我 々は今シーズンこれまで見てきたすべてのものとは全く違う感じフレッシュでフェミニンな魅力を与えるかわい らしいパステル顔料と注入した。靴は、<a href="http://www.kobe24shop.com"><strong>NIKE Hyperdunk</strong></a> それらの特定の "言葉で表現できない上質性 'それらを作ることを詰める靴を所有するのが大好き蜂蜜のための完璧なオプションとなって、柔らかいライン パターン、デザインに大胆な、エッジーchicnessを与えて使うと面白い色以下に細工されていますが群 衆から目立つ。

現代風にアレンジしたクラシックな形状が高いビジュアルキックを届ける解体アステカプリントによってと草間 彌生、使用密集パターンで知られる83歳の日本人アーティストを特徴付けるスタイルで、アジアの民族グルー プのモン族のドレスに触発された彼女の創作インチ
ソフィアウェブスターは、このようなデザインに焼けるような、遊び心のある魅力を与えて、ヤシの木のパタ ーンと日没の顔料に日の出を使用して、熱帯の暑さのビットですべてのこれらの興味深い要素を融合させた。古 典的なポンプ、<a href="http://www.kobe24shop.com"><strong>nike zoom hyperdunk</strong></a> 革新的なハート型ヒールの靴、ハイヒール、ウェッジ、のぞき見つま先のサンダルやフラットを含む様々なデザ インを特色にして、コレクションは様々なスタイルを採用し、女性の注目を集めることを目指しますので、楽し いまだフェミニンな靴コレクションをブラウズしてみろ署名春2013ソフィアウェブスターやデザインのいず れかがあなたの人格を完全に一致しているかどうか!
nikeshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
gateway01
UG's Only Dancing Mudkip

^^^NOPE^^^

I'm still trying to grasp time signature changes. It's always been that evil in that back of my mind that I could never quite get.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

It's a fairly stupid suggestion but I would advice you to start counting all the songs you listen to out loud, as well as with your fingers. From 4/4 to 15/8 in no time

Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Mine is to stop being a cheap **** and get a crash cymbal. Even black metal uses crash cymbals... All I got is a crashride.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Skinny91
Object-beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMAS

You've quoted the only 2 books I own now but I agree, its a great book though I'll admit I'm still on the first page, I hadn't played shuffles and really worked my left hand for ages before I got it but I'm already seeing great improvements.

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

small but not the easiest, i want to clean up/improve my double bass drum stroke with my left foot (i already do with my right).

i do spend some time playing without the hihat (on the ride and crashes) and use my left foot exclusively on what i am playing.

so goal: i want to have equally conditioned double strokes on the bass drums with both legs.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Big Bang

I'm currently at 7.75" erect length and about 5.375" girth. I'm hoping to hit 8x5.5 by the end of the year. Currently doing manual stretches along with a combination of clamping and jelqing.
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #16
JAHellraiser

^ uhh...are we talking drums here?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Steve08

Reported, but...

Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Reported, but...

+1
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

You know, I don't think he's a bot .

Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
Big Bang

Thanks for all of you support. Best of luck to you with all of your goals in 2013!
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: