Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
CarsickPhil

"Free fall" - original played on solo acoustic slide guitar - C4C

Dear all

I am trying to get away from using the looper or multi-tracking, aiming for a more raw sound, and would welcome feedback on this solo piece of slide guitar:

If you would like feedback on one of your songs, then please just point me towards your post.

Best wishes

Philip
CarsickPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
BigSmokeDawg
Yes We Nyan!

This is brilliant! Sounds like something straight out a cowboy movie I like how you alternate between the picking and the slide, and even do both at the same time. The vibrato with that slide sounds excellent!

I really enjoyed listening to and watching that, so I'm gonna subscribe to your Youtube channel! I can't wait to see more stuff!

Also you have so many books back there o.o
Line 6 UX2
Squier Jazz Bass
Guitar Covers - DaBigSmokeDawg
Recordings, demos and songs - www.soundcloud.com/bsmoked
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
george8392
d[o_O]b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsickPhil
Dear all

I am trying to get away from using the looper or multi-tracking, aiming for a more raw sound, and would welcome feedback on this solo piece of slide guitar:

If you would like feedback on one of your songs, then please just point me towards your post.

Best wishes

Philip

Very nice post! I love the vibe of this song. It does sound really western... maybe even a bit eerie. I replayed it a few times though, definitely an enjoyable listen.

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
george8392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Innercelph

Thanks for the feedback!

Good playing ideas throughout and nic ejob of keeping it ineresting with the dynamics and transitions, some of them could have been repeated a bit more however imo. Definitely agree with the western feel mentioned by the others, and while the overall recordng quality is very good I feel some EQ (boost somewhere between 5-10khz) and some reverb would have really given it an extra bit of magic.
Innercelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Tomaz24

Hi Philip, I really really enjoyed this piece. I've been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption (the video game) which this music really seemed to fit in with. That cowboy vibe isn't used in a stereotypical way though for which you definitely must be commended. It's a very carefully laid out piece, with great construction and lots of nice intricacies that give it that rich/full and very authentic overall sound. Really enjoyed it, many thanks for the crit on my piece, sorry this response is late!

Tom,
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
January85
Registered "User"

I'm picking up a Shadows vibe. Very awesome! Also I guess not the best bands to compare to, but those slides at the end really remind me of Led Zeppelin. Just popped to my head. What can I say.

The verses have a heavy blues sound with kinda moody undertone. What's the song about? Free Fall sounds kinda interesting but I can't really tie it to the track. Maybe in a bluesy way "my life is falling to the ground". I generally like the tune and there are some friggin' heavy nuances there. Bluesy stuff just never hit me that hard. I just can't say I'm walking in the shadow of the blues. You are definately walking in some bluesy Shadows here! ;D Oh that was bad...

The playing is damn excellent. Wouldn't change a thing. And I love that you always come back to the E5 chord. It somehow ties the whole song to this really grave feeling. It has got CHARACTER. That's what it is. The song is like a dude telling his life story. You can just feel the different undertakings there.

Listen, I keep thinking this song should be longer. It SHOULDN'T... but I can't get it out of my head. What I'd do... because I generally do longer songs... I'd come up with completely different B part with maybe the happiest day of his life (maybe still with kinda moody undertone)... and then tie it back with the beginning in like 4 bars at the end. That's how I'd make this more like one of my songs. But it totally works as a shortie. I just hate it that when I start to get into a song... it then just ends.

Oh well. Great song!
C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1551094
January85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: