Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
jpcl

A telecaster worth picking a fight

Ok, so here's the thing. Before I get to the point there's a few things I'd like to point out so there's no missunderstandings. I'm into getting early next year (around January if I manage to settle with a choice for good by that time) a new telecaster.

What I'm looking for in the tele, as awkward as it may seem to some, something "cheap and cheerful". I'm looking for a Telecaster (which I've been GAS'ing for so long and can't handle the stress) around the lines of maybe a Vintage (brand) or a Squier model. Basically I'm going to be putting a nice amounts of mods, although, if this makes any sense, I'm not sure what I'm going to be modding on it just yet.

I'm not looking for a new main guitar (as obvious within this price range) before people start pointing out to save the money for something better.
I'm also not looking to try and emulate any artists sound, since I looking into making this guitar something unique in terms of tone and features for me.

Anyways, as a brief recap, I'm looking for a Telecaster (no actual budget/limit), but I do want something kinda cheap on purpose so I can get a "kick" from trying to take out the most of it, so around 250€, but I want something that's got good quality for the money, since I'm not looking into just wasting money on a old dog of a guitar and then modding it.

Any suggestions are welcome, but I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on it, if you've had any personal experience with any suggestion here given.

I'll start off with this Tele:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squ...m_b_stock_2.htm

Any idea's on weither this one could be a good choice?

PS: Yes, I'm left-handed, and I don't mind B-stocks at all. But going used probably won't work for me, since the only place where I can find a better variety of left handed used guitars is in the US, and shipping all that way is kinda hard/expensive anyways.

Last edited by jpcl : 10-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Squier Classic Vibe Tele is the first thing that comes to my mind. The quality on those is equal to (or some say surpasses) MIM Teles. The few that I've played have been awesome! They definitely don't feel or play like a cheap guitar. And they're much better than the Affinity Tele you listed above. Price-wise you should be able to find them in your range.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you're left handed. I'm not sure if the CV Teles are available in lefties. I'm sure somebody else will chime in on that...
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10

Last edited by 57Goldtop : 10-30-2012 at 11:20 AM.
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Goldtop
Squier Classic Vibe Tele is the first thing that comes to my mind. The quality on those is equal to (or some say surpasses) MIM Teles. The few that I've played have been awesome! They definitely don't feel or play like a cheap guitar. And they're much better than the Affinity Tele you listed above. Price-wise you should be able to find them in your range.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you're left handed. I'm not sure if the CV Teles are available in lefties. I'm sure somebody else will chime in on that...

I already had that idea about the Tele's since the CV Strats also seem to have a nice touch to them for the money.

I found: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_...tele_50s_lh.htm
So yeah they do make LH models, although I'm probably going to wait for more suggestions since it is a bit expensive, considering I'll be modding it, and I'll be taking it to rehearsels and jamming with others, but I won't be gigging with it, which is why the less I spend the better. To be honest, the only real concern I have is weither the quality is reasonable on the guitar itself. Features like tuners, pick-ups, pots etc will most likely all be changed.

Mind you, thanks for the post, and if I don't manage to find any other alternative guitars worth considering, I'll definatly go for a CV.

EDIT: I also forgot to meantion, but I am from the UK, although I'm living in Portugal at the moment. Looking into the used market here is almost useless, let alone if your a left-handed player. But I still have family in the UK, so if there is any good deal in England worth meantioning (even in the used market) please do, as I can easily tell them to buy it for me and then pick it up.

Last edited by jpcl : 10-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
jpcl

As long as it won't start falling apart, I also don't mind weird features or less popular brands like this guitar: http://www.rondomusic.com/ntaslhvtn.html

To be honest, I'd really dig having a hollow-body tele, and making it even less "original", so extra points on weirdness.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
ratter

Spend that little bit more on a CV tele and you wont have to change the tuners, pots etc. Saves money & time in the long run & maintains resale value.

I love my cv custom, neck is perfect for me, quality is spot on for the money

alternatively if you want summat different, build your own with bits from fleabay, thats gunna be my winter project

Last edited by ratter : 10-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
rageahol

Make a body yourself (or buy one) and get a moses graphite neck. Then put in whatever pickups you like and you're done. cost ~€400, but it'll be worth it.
rageahol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
FenderJamie
Mark Knopfler Fanatic

+1 CV tele. Gotta love that butterscotch blond colour
FenderJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Spend that little bit more on a CV tele and you wont have to change the tuners, pots etc. Saves money & time in the long run & maintains resale value.

I love my cv custom, neck is perfect for me, quality is spot on for the money

Your not getting the point. I'm looking for a fight. I already have plenty guitars for more serious purposes. Though I'm basically just looking for a platform on which to mod the guitar and make it unique. I looking into saving money as a whole for this project, not saving money by not having to spend extra on mods.

To be honest, all I care about are the woods hanging in together, the fretboard being reasonably good and that's it. Like I said, extra points if it'll fill those requirements and manage to be cheap and/or have "abnormal" features for a Tele, such as the one I linked having F holes.

I meantioned that Affinity Tele, since it would be a cool option, although I'm not that knowledged on new versions. I have a 99' affinity strat and even though it was made in china, I find it to be quite good, and it's still as good as new (quality/sound/looks), though 13 years have passed since that, so I have no real clue how the affinity range has changed.

Last edited by jpcl : 10-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

You might try checking out Raven West Guitars. They do lefties, they do teles, they do international shipping. They do NOT do high prices.
http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/elguit.html

Tradition Guitars is maybe an hour away from where I live, but I don't see many- in Texas, most players looking for Teles start & stop with Fender & Squier.
http://www.traditionguitars.com/gui...rd/jr/jr_n.html

Swing is an Indonesian brand trying to move up in the world:
http://www.swingguitars.com/xe/inde...&category=60500

Indie does Teles as well:
http://www.indieguitars.ca/product-2.cfm?ID=25

On the completely opposite side of the spectrum, if at some point in the future you decide you want a high-end Tele, there is Stevens Guitars, a UK luthier who specializes in Teles, starting at £1000:

http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/

You can also find interesting mid-to high end Teles from Dillion, G&L, MJ Guitar designs and others.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You might try checking out Raven West Guitars.

http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/elguit.html

They do lefties, they do teles, they do international shipping. They do NOT do high prices.

On the completely opposite side of the spectrum, if at some point in the future you decide you want a high-end Tele, there is this UK luthier who specializes in Teles, starting at £1000:

http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/

You can also find interesting mid-to high end Teles from Dillion, G&L, MJ Guitar designs and others.

Thanks. I won't be making a definitive choice on these guitars since at the moment there aren't any left-handed tele models available, although I'll be checking in and keeping an eye until the day comes if they do happen to get any in stock.

Although I'm a bit skeptical on the international shipping fee's. The guitar's themselves aren't expensive, yet I quote: "SHIPPING IS $38.00 INSIDE OF USA", so I could only imagine it would at the very least doubled if I wanted it shipped here right? Since I'm interested in modding it my own way, I don't think it'll be worth buying if it'll cost me quite some cash just to ship it. D:

Been looking into some used UK tele's like:

(last one is in the US, though it's dirt cheap, and he ships worldwide for £60)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-hand...=item3a7b3335ab

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Te...=item337d51e69d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Le...=item20ccc5640a

I know it's an auction, and they tend to go up on the last day/moments of bidding, but I'm finding it hard to believe that I'd still find these left-handed mid/mid-high range models for so low. Or do they generally tend to skyrocket in price at the finall biddings?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

As you can see, I added a few more, and of those, Tradition may be your best bet. They say they're willing to do small modifications despite not having a custom shop- I would imagine lefties might be on that list of modifications they do.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
jpcl

Quote:
As you can see, I added a few more, and of those, Tradition may be your best bet. They say they're willing to do small modifications despite not having a custom shop- I would imagine lefties might be on that list of modifications they do.

Yeah I've been checking these links out, but they still seem to be kinda expensive for what I'm looking for. I basically just need a solid structure for me to play mess around with my mods to take it where I want to, although these seem a bit high, since they are a bit over the "limit" I gave and I'd have to include customization to left-handed.

Once again, I thank the help, and no argue weither these are good for the money. But if anything, they're "too good" to begin with, and I'll be paying too much for the quality of features on it, when I'll be replacing them anyways.

Last edited by jpcl : 10-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

1) noticed the fine red print on the Tradition- lefties ARE available.and, as it so happens, I found one here:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/tradition/jr.htm

There seems to be no upcharge for lefties. You might also contact Adirondack in geneal- they seem to have a wide variety of lefties from many brands over a decent range of prices...and they even have a used/classified section. Might not have what you want now, but they may be a good resource for you in the future.

2) yeah, the Traditions are still £100 over your budget...but you might be able to find one used for less.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
jpcl

Quote:
1) noticed the fine red print on the Tradition- lefties ARE available.and, as it so happens, I found one here:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/tradition/jr.htm

There seems to be no upcharge for lefties. You might also contact Adirondack in geneal- they seem to have a wide variety of lefties from many brands over a decent range of prices...and they even have a used/classified section. Might not have what you want now, but they may be a good resource for you in the future.

2) yeah, the Traditions are still £100 over your budget...but you might be able to find one used for less.

Thanks. I'll go look out where you got that red print from and I'll keep an eye on new/used stock. Thanks again.

New input/suggestions is/are still welcome. I'd also like to get some feedback on that affinity I first linked keeping in mind my purposes, if anyone could share their experience.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Embarassing admissions:

1) the fine red print is a link below the wood options.

2) the link reveals that it is a $100 option- the one I saw at Adirondack was a 2010- not new.

Sorry about that.

But there is good news: they charge less when you order directly from them! That $549 lefty Vintage Tele is $399 when ordered direct, using PayPal...@€308.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-30-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
jpcl

Quote:
Embarassing admissions:

1) the fine red print is a link below the wood options.

2) the link reveals that it is a $100 option- the one I saw at Adirondack was a 2010- not new.

Sorry about that.

But there is good news: they charge less when you order directly from them! That $549 lefty Vintage Tele is $399 when ordered direct, using PayPal...@€308.

No worries mate.

I kinda got another LP project going on, so I'll only gather up the money in a couple of months or so, but if it's still available by around Christmas, I might go for it if nothing better shows up. I'm still 2 months away, but then again, it's a lefty guitar, so there's a chance it'll still be available after 2 months.

Thanks again for the commitment.

Last edited by jpcl : 10-30-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Lots of luck!

Hope you find your Tele- I'm sure others will pipe in with ideas, because I KNOW there are other ones out there (seen 'em, ain't remember who made 'em).

Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
demitriv

Squier classic vibe custom telecaster, it's so good that you may not even want to mod it.
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
demitriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriv
Squier classic vibe custom telecaster, it's so good that you may not even want to mod it.

I keep having to repeat the same point to this "project". I'm looking basically for a chassis so I can mod my OWN and UNIQUE way. I'm probably continue modding it differently as time goes by as with my idea's.

So yeah, I'm not looking for a best deal budget guitar. I'm just looking for something I'll know is reasonably good in a low price range 150-250€, and it's probably the features that are letting it down the most, from which I'll be turning the guitar into something I feel like doing for my own style or purpose (though it'll be fun purposes only, not looking to gig with it).

As I've said, less traditional looking/featuring Telecasters are welcome with a big grin, because the weird it gets, the more of a fight I'll get. F holes I'd love to have on the Tele, though it's necessary, rather an "extra points given" situation.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Rate This Thread: