Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Dobbsie59

Cort CR250

Hello All,

I'm an absolute novice in the Guitar stuffs. Literally never played one.
I've been wanting to learn for some time and after long consideration, have decided to take the plunge.
I'm looking at the Cort CR250, as it's got pretty good reviews, is affordable (240) and looks the part (I'm a bit of a tart). I'm into rock stuff like Foo's, Strokes etc etc.
Now, I understand that picking a few up and getting a feel is the best way. BUT I'd have to go into a shop for this and I shall be buying online due to the pricing difference. I am not comfortable with wasting a shops time, and getting their expertise just to pull a sly one and not give them my business.

My general questions are;
Is there anything obviously wrong with the Cort?
Is there anything which makes it wholly unsuitable for a beginner?
Is it OK value?
Any experiences of this guitar?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Dobbsie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

My first guitar I ever bought was a Cort M200 and I have to say it was a really good buy. Don't have experience with any other models but I would day that a Cort is a great beginner guitar.
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
jpcl

I see your point, and I know some might argue to still check guitars out at the shops, but I know why you think so, and I admire the fact that you also find it a bit unfair to ask for "favours" and act as if there's a possibility you'll ever give them a chance to benefit from it.

I think the best way, taking what I've said into account and that you don't know much about guitars, that the best way would be to take something "intended" for you style of music, and almost certain that it will fit (even if not fully) with your judgement on how a guitar feels best in your hands.

I'll need some more info, because I think their might be many more options (some maybe even better) then just that Cort guitar.

So:

1) More specifically what are you more into, and know you'll probably be playing on the guitar if all goes well? Could you name some bands as you have done, but more (if not all the bands, no need for actual songs)?

2) How would you consider your hands/fingers structure? Small, Big, chubby, thin, etc?
This should make sure you get a comfortable neck, so you don't struggle around how it's too small, big or wide for you.

3) How much would you consider to be your maximum budget for a new guitar?

4) Do you haggle over the general body shape of any guitar, or would any guitar be ok in terms of it's appearance for you to be happy with (considering the guitar suits your other needs)?
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
MaaZeus

Being owner of only one Cort I can say it is a damn good guitar for the money though I cant speak for the rest. Cort probaply doesnt make any "high end" guitars but their axes should be comparable to other guitars in same price range.

IIRC Cort is the factory in South Korea that some brands made their budget and midrange guitars in, (Ibanez was it?) but Cort also has their own line (obviously). They should know their stuff well enough.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Dobbsie59

Great advice so far thanks chaps.
Looking at my iTunes playlist, my faves that I can't wait to try and play are;
The strokes; under cover of darkness and taken for a fool
Queens of the Stone Age; no one knows
White stripes; 7 nation army
Two door cinema club; I can talk
We are scientists; after hours
Bloc party; banquet
I'm a sucker for a melody!
I have large hands even for my height (6ft) and spend a bit of time in the gym and on my mountain bike (if that's even relevant)
As I said, I am a tart so it must look right. I mean that when I look at it I should feel like I want to play it (Its the same kind of thing with bikes!)
My maximum budget is around 250.

Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbsie59
Great advice so far thanks chaps.
Looking at my iTunes playlist, my faves that I can't wait to try and play are;
The strokes; under cover of darkness and taken for a fool
Queens of the Stone Age; no one knows
White stripes; 7 nation army
Two door cinema club; I can talk
We are scientists; after hours
Bloc party; banquet
I'm a sucker for a melody!
I have large hands even for my height (6ft) and spend a bit of time in the gym and on my mountain bike (if that's even relevant)
As I said, I am a tart so it must look right. I mean that when I look at it I should feel like I want to play it (Its the same kind of thing with bikes!)
My maximum budget is around 250.

Thanks again.

Well I think, considering what you posted, you'd probably be better with something like this:
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier...sunburst--93217

It's got a humbucker pick-up on the back end, and then two single-coil pick-ups in the middle and neck position. This is something I think would be best for you since you'll need the sound from both type of pick-ups. It's also within your budget, and the Strat body is one of the most popular and most comfortable you can find, so you can't go awefully wrong there.

I use DV247 to search, since it's a UK shop, being easier for you, and less costly in terms of delivery. Though in this colour, I think there isn't any in stock, but you could either look for the same model but in a different colour, or look at some place else. Any main dealers or popular guitar shops should have these available, weither it's in the UK, rest of Europe, or the US.

How do you feel about the aspect of this guitar though?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Dobbsie59

It's a bit pointy isn't it? Joking.
Visually, I find it a bit status quo but I suppose that's secondary.
I appreciate your efforts, would you be able to explain the advantages of the features you have described please? Are the advantages for the kind of music I like or is it more that it will it be a bit kinder to an beginner?
Aside from the shape, are there any advantages to a stratocaster compared with a les Paul shaped guitar?
Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
jpcl

Quote:
It's a bit pointy isn't it? Joking.
Visually, I find it a bit status quo but I suppose that's secondary.
I appreciate your efforts, would you be able to explain the advantages of the features you have described please? Are the advantages for the kind of music I like or is it more that it will it be a bit kinder to an beginner?
Aside from the shape, are there any advantages to a stratocaster compared with a les Paul shaped guitar?
Thanks again.

Well, if you've managed to point out which pick-up the humbucker is (generally larger and rectangular) then I can tell you that these sort of pick-ups are better when you need a fatter sound. Kinda like how you compare Qotsa's sound to Bloc Party. You'll find Queens to be a lot more aggressive and full, while Block Party is a more "thin" sound.
Technically you play almost anything with any type of pick-ups, although there's different models to choose from, and you'll need a good amp, with good knowledge on how to set the settings for each type of sound.

Since you'll be starting out, having both of these type of pick-ups means you won't need to haggle yourself about how your guitar can't make quite the type of sound you want. So yeah, it will be "kinder for a beginner" as you meantioned, but I think it's something that helps you until your quite advanced at playing as well.

As for the shape, they are both very popular, but I think that many tend to buy a Les Paul for starting out because it is so popular and looks good, but the truth is that they are heavy, and when you think about it, their body isn't exactly the most balanced (tends to be a bit body heavy, as opposed to neck heavy, which makes your guitar's neck diving towards the floor when standing up).

Since you won't be trying guitars, it's hard to tell weither the Les Paul would even feel good to you.
I myself have never been, and still today not really a big fan of Strats, but it was my first guitar, which was right-handed, and I'm left-handed, yet I still have it, and even preferring the Les Paul and SG shapes and feel more then Strats, it still felt/feels good. To be honest, I kinda just regreted the fact that it didn't have a humbucker too for the same reasons (having a wider range of sound possibilities).

And your welcome.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Dobbsie59

Ah. Now a little research has enlightened me. i now know in theory what a pickup is and the difference between a normal pickup and a humbucker. What you have said makes a lot of sense now. I will not have a problem with weight but balance is obviously important. I feel a little lost now!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
jpcl

Quote:
Ah. Now a little research has enlightened me. i now know in theory what a pickup is and the difference between a normal pickup and a humbucker. What you have said makes a lot of sense now. I will not have a problem with weight but balance is obviously important. I feel a little lost now!

No need to feel lost, this may feel important but trust me it won't make such a difference in a way that you can't play or you'll just quit.
Do you have any friends/family that plays electric guitar? If so, chances are quite high they will have a Strat-styled guitar or a LP, due to their popularity, and so you can just try and hold the neck and try to emulate as if your playing by actually doing some kind of shaped chord on it. It won't help that much, but at least it'll give you an idea how it/they feel, and hopefully might help on what to choose.

Their necks are both different, and I prefer that of a Les Paul, but then again a Strat has never felt strange as I've said, if there's any guitar that has the biggest chance of suiting almost anyone, it's a Strat all right. You definatly can't go wrong with a Strat. But without you knowing (so you can inform yourself and us) exactly what type of guitar/features/shape you like the most, it's a bit hard to find the perfect budget guitar for you.

Ultimately, you'll do fine with a Strat, and if you do happen to enjoy playing and continue this hobby, it's impossible for you to stick with just one guitar for years, as everyone else will confirm, guitarists will gain a disease sooner or later which will enter every vain in your body, and possess you to have the biggest army of guitars you can withstand. In the end though, feed your playing addiction and sooner or later you'll get the chance to know what's the best guitar for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Dobbsie59

Thanks jcpl. I have followed your advice and purchased an Ibanez SA160FM strat copy guitar with SSH. Can't wait to play it now!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
jpcl

Quote:
Thanks jcpl. I have followed your advice and purchased an Ibanez SA160FM strat copy guitar with SSH. Can't wait to play it now!

Anytime. I'm glad I can help. Not only will it suit your music style better, but I'd consider that Ibanez to be a a more quality product then the Cort you firstly meantioned, and at a similar price.

I hope you have fun with it.

PS: Sorry for the big text walls I've made in your thread. D:
I was getting worried I'd bore you to death, lol.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Vialli

I was going to suggest a Cort G250 as an alternative but I was too slow (and strangely couldn't find any for sale in the UK currently! The Ibanez looks a good starter guitar though. You may well find that your Ibanez was made by Cort anyway as I don't believe Ibanez has a manufacturing capability. They design guitars and sub-contract the build to others. Cort is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world.

Have fun with your new toy!
Vialli is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: