Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Jim #4

Opinions on 2 Songs (Melodic Metal) C4C

hey,

i just wanted to share two new songs for my band with you and wanna hear some opinions from you guys.

http://soundcloud.com/storyteller666/sets/malize

not on the production, cause its still in a demo state but on writing/flow/build and whatever you can think of

thank you

and of course C4C if you post your link

cheers

Last edited by Jim #4 : 09-01-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Jim #4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
JB95
I like taco

Very obvious Killswitch Engage influence in Be Yourself. It sounds a bit too much like This is Absolution to me, but that's just me. The solo in So Now You Run was a bit sour, and in my opinion it didn't fit too much.
I don't need any comment, c4c is abit stupid.
JB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Brassx

Indeed it does sound a bit like KSE, Although I wouldn't go as extreme as ^, I enjoyed the Riffage, The clean sections sounded really goodand I think they fit the song pretty well, I think the solo fit it for the most part, it was hard to hear some of it though, Some of the vibratos in the solo made the note sound out of key. That was really the only issue I had with the song. Good stuff man.
Brassx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Jim #4

yeah that might be true cause kse is my favourite band

yeah the solos will take some work i guess. but thanks for your opinios thus far
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
TechIndustrial

very heavy/tight riffing going on here, also loving those palm muted harmonies, great work. As far as production goes, I would work on making the guitars sound a little bit less harsh and turn up the drums, also the tone of the snare is really dull, almost like it's another bass drum.

C4C: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1560874
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
awesomo41894

Be yourself is really cool. I love the riffing in it. The playing is very solid. The structure is very good as well. Ig the only part i didnt like was the solo.

As for So now you run, the riffs in that song are pretty cool. I can def. hear the KSE influence in both of these songs (Not that thats a bad thing). My fav. part was the part that starts about 1:11 in, great note choice. I dont really like the solo in this one either. BUT Otherwise, pretty awesome song man!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
CCCults

The first one i didnt care for too much for. It just didnt really get me pumped as much as usual metal songs do. But the second one i did like better. It actually sounded like it was a good quality metal song, almost something you would hear on the radio. But the part i liked the most about "So now you run" was the middle part when the music goes softer, it really adds a more dramatic style instead of constant heavy drums/guitar/bass.

C4C http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1560284
CCCults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
crushingmetal

Be Yourself:

That first riff reminds me of This is Absolution by Killswitch Engage and actually so does the part around 1:50, unintentional I'm sure. Song is well structured, if a little generic. I'm glad there was no breakdown, bands always seem to throw them in when they're not required, and this song doesn't need one.

So Now You Run:

I like this song better, the riffs are better and a part like at 0:51 would be awesome live. The chorus part is really good, with the lead and rhythm guitars separate, and I like the solo up to a about 2:40 where it starts to lose focus a bit. If your band has a good vocalist this song could be really awesome.

my track
crushingmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Jim #4

yeah thats what i always try to do. not glue some cool riffs together but go for the feel.

idc if any kid would love to breakdance live to a breakdown, if the song does not call for it, it wont happen.

thx for noticing it
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
afortuneinlies
registered nurse

I'd say you definitely aren't breaking any molds or anything here, but the songs are well-written and tight. Some of the riffs are pretty catchy. Definitely solid. Nothing cringe-worthy. Sounds pretty good all around. Like the others said, the solos could use some work.
afortuneinlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Jim #4

is there something specific that you guys dont like about the solos? or do they just plain suck?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Jim #4

sry to bring this up again...but i really desperatly need some advice on those solos
Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
ZOMG_A_COW

Be Yourself: Love the clean sections. As everyone has already said, you have some pretty awesomely tight riffing. Really melodic song, and I enjoyed it immensely. Tone is really nice too. I like it, it's clear, smooth, and aggressive. Um for me the specific thing I don't like about the solo is it sounds too "amateur-y". Like you stayed in one kind of scale the whole time (pentatonic) and you didn't try to move out of it and mix different things into it, to spice it up. Anyways that's not really that big of a deal, just a small thing you can improve once you get better at it. Point is, the song was legit. Good stuff.

So Now You Run: One thing I forgot to note above that applies to both songs actually, is that for demo quality this is mixed pretty well, so I'd like to commend you on that. I like the structure of this song, and the clean section you made for it. Pretty creative in my opinion, and I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but you have a pretty good knack for writing transitional riffs/sections. You manage to keep them smooth and unique. Big ups for that. The solo on this one...refer to the comment above. Same thing applies.

Overall, I really liked your two songs and I definitely want to keep hearing more of your band!

Check out a song I did for my band? (Melodic Death Metal?)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1569419
ZOMG_A_COW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
ryan19

love the sound of the guitars. did u quad-track the distorted parts? Heavy KSE influence, but Im a big fan of theirs, so I dug the song. The drums don't sound the best, decent enough for a demo tho. It would be cool if you can record vocals for the song. Anyway good job man.

Oh and my critique was for the first song.

Here's the link to my song:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1569668

Last edited by ryan19 : 10-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Jim #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan19
love the sound of the guitars. did u quad-track the distorted parts? Heavy KSE influence, but Im a big fan of theirs, so I dug the song. The drums don't sound the best, decent enough for a demo tho. It would be cool if you can record vocals for the song. Anyway good job man.

Oh and my critique was for the first song.

Here's the link to my song:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1569668

yeah the rhythms are completely quadtracked. really the only way for me to get the sound a little more powerfull.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Hey man, listening to your first one now and I'm digging the clean guitar tones and harmonies that the song opens up with... and wow, that's a pretty good example of contrasting soft/loud! Haha.

Okay, so the distorted guitars have kicked in at this point and man, the rhythm sounds really tight and powerful! Diggin' the little harmonized break to the chugging too, almost a little turn around in the sense it provides structure to your idea by marking when it repeats. Thomas Erak from Fall of Troy writes a lot of his guitar parts like this.

Good change around 1:57, although I think you could have kept going in that direction because the idea that follows, while it does have certain differences to the main theme, still sounds relatively familiar and then goes back into very familiar territory.

Good idea to change back to that cool clean section, that part was too cool to just play once. However, I feel like you could have done a better job building up to a big break that leads into the clean part... also, transition from clean part back into distortion didn't work for me this time, dunno why.

Guitar solo is pretty groovy, although not really as front and center in the mix as I would have liked it to be.

Overall, really solid song from a compositional standpoint and from a production standpoint, although I feel like you are leaving room for the vocals... so do that.

C4C? See my sig -- I just added a new mix with vocals to my song "Inertia". If you would be so kind as to critique that one... I would appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Invisus
UG's Roope

Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: