Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Atta-BOI! (Hope that was also cheesy enough :P)

And performing anywhere in general is cool. Its a big step playing outside of your comfort zone.

Nirvana's songs are great for learning, I recommend About a Girl, the rhythm is fun to play and the solo is great for beginners.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
91RG350

Yeah... being a month into playing or a few months or whatever it is..... dont be too hard on yourself.... get some chord song books with stuff you like in them... and learn some tabs... just have fun for now mate... thats what its all about...the rest will sort itself out later....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
food1010
Bassist

Before reading: Yes, you should play guitar.

After reading: Yes, you should play guitar.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I just wanna add something that no one else has really touched on, despite everyone giving good advice, as usual.

To quote the Frantics;

"Ti Kwan Leep is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon."

You will never stop learning guitar. You will always be improving. There will never be a point at which you can say "I'm done. I've learned everything there is to learn."

If that's what's annoying you, then you have a problem. If you're looking at "playing guitar" as something you need to slog through until you "win", you're doing it wrong.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #25
Flevi

I've accually thought about "learning" guitar in that sense and I think learn isn't an accurate word for it because like you said you cant really win "I just won guitar" lol however I don't have a problem with there not being an end to guitar. The reason I started playing guitar was because my room at home felt really empty since I stopped doing my homework so the sounds I make fill up that space
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Guitarra_acores

Something I didn't see anyone mention ( just did a quick read) is that the learning curve for guitar is really frustrating when starting out. While you can't control you fingers anything seems like a struggle, because there is a lot of things happening at once and it demands fine motor coordination, but once you get past that wall things improve exponentially.

When you can play what you want without having to really think about it, playing will be much more rewarding. I used to wonder if playing guitar would be effortless for me someday, I had a really hard time feeling comfortable with the instrument, but now I'm very happy to be where I'm at.

If you have a passion for music, you just have to stick with it, it will be a lot more fun in the future.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
NegiTom

Nope. No one should ever play guitar. Guitar is bad for you.
NegiTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegiTom
Nope. No one should ever play guitar. Guitar is bad for you.

thanks for the wonderful thread contribution.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Flevi

Well I probably shouldn't be this interested in the approval of strangers on the Internet but a large part of my problem I believe is that I have a lot of "talent" for more classical art, drawing, painting and the like. Everyone says and expects me to be an artist but idk if I want to. The biggest advocate of me becoming a full time artist is my mom, it took her most of her life to figure out she was meant to be an artist and she doesn't want me to make the same mistake so she urges me to drop the guitar, by saying music isn't for me and such. I also think there are worse ways to use my time than playing guitar. I don't want to sound like an attention ***** or anything I'm just looking for some feedback yo
Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
arabmetallion
shut teh fuk ahp u fagits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevi
Well I probably shouldn't be this interested in the approval of strangers on the Internet but a large part of my problem I believe is that I have a lot of "talent" for more classical art, drawing, painting and the like. Everyone says and expects me to be an artist but idk if I want to. The biggest advocate of me becoming a full time artist is my mom, it took her most of her life to figure out she was meant to be an artist and she doesn't want me to make the same mistake so she urges me to drop the guitar, by saying music isn't for me and such. I also think there are worse ways to use my time than playing guitar. I don't want to sound like an attention ***** or anything I'm just looking for some feedback yo

it's tough to make a living off art or music [music is an art but you know what I mean], so if you aren't really sure about which career path you want you probably shouldn't go for either of these choices untill you know for sure because you need to be very committed and even then it's still tough to get the recognition you want.
With academic career choices you at-least know you'll make a decent living
and that people will hire you if you are committed, it's much less risk free.
Obviously it's your choice at the end of the day but I think you should still play the guitar and paint stuff either-way, I mean I'm an engineering student but I love music regardless and play guitar simply because it's great fun and I enjoy composing shit .
just my 2 cents

my shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

You said yourself you're not looking for fortune or fame through playing guitar, so don't feel pressured to stop if you can't achieve that.

Its way too incredibly risky to put all your faith in music for a career. Some people get lucky while the others struggle their entire lives to get by.

Its all about knowing where you want to be.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #32
corza334

I didn't know any full songs for like 2 years. Didn't even know any theory.. scales.. anything.

Still fell in love playing the guitar haha. Noodled around figuring out and making riffs.

Moral of the story is do it because you enjoy it. This post shouldn't even be here. If you still can't change chords after 5 years, but love doing it.. then do it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #33
Flevi

About the academic career thing mentioned by Arab, I just can't see myself in the situation of working a 9 to5 "regular" job I would probably litteraly commit suicide in that situation. I quit doing all homework last year I hate high school (fukin cliche as Shiz) mostly I dislike the people so I think colledge is not for me right now, a lot of money I don't want to waste I know for a fact that I will be an artist no matter what I do I just don't know in what field of art that may be. I am also familiar with the fact that being a musician or any artist takes much more time than 9 to 5 ( also Im saying I wont have a career 9 to5 even though I probably will work somewhere like that at some point) in my experience painting writing and playing I know well that inspiration comes very unpredictably

Alright I think I'm done freaking whining for now lol

Last edited by Flevi : 11-01-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Flevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #34
2thebeat89
Banned

Someone answer me here plaese! http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30542228
Thank you!
2thebeat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #35
Flevi

That link is not to a question it's just a list
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #36
arabmetallion
shut teh fuk ahp u fagits

Fair enough, but I wasn't sugesting you go for an academically based career but that a career in the arts requires you to be absolutley sure because you are after all taking a big risk. There's also no reason why you should stop playing guitar if your planning on doing something unrelated for a living. But I think you should allways have a backup plan though so don't neglect school too much and atleast get your highschool diploma because you may regret it later

my shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: