Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

6505+ for a Tiny Terror/Jim Root Head

I'm getting kind of tired of my 6505+. When I first got it, I loved the thing to death, but now I'm kind of tired of the cleans being consistently dirty, and as much as I lvoe the OD channel, I think it's time for a change.

I've been considering trading it or selling it to fund an Orange Tiny Terror http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...Tiny_Terror.htm

Or, a Jim Rot Signature Tiny Terror http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...Terror_Head.htm

Jim Root has always been my number one favourite guitar player, and I love his tone in both Stone Sour and Slipknot, and the fact he uses Orange amps makes them a solid choice in my mind.

I'll most likely have the chance to play through the Tiny Terror, possibly the Jim Root Signature, though I'll have to check store availability.
I've always wanted an Orange amp, I guess I'm a bit of a closet fanboy.

Any thoughts on this?

I've heard the cleans on the Tiny Terror can be pretty wonderful, and I have a Tubescreamer I can use for a boost if I wanted to. The cleans on my 6505+ seem to be consistently dirty, and I'm slowly figuring out that this amp isn't really right for me.

How comparable is the Tiny Terror/Jim Root to my 6505+?

If I were to sell the 6505+ would $1000 be a fair asking price? It's in like new condition, never been gigged, or left my room for that matter. Tubes are still in great condition as well.

Budget: As of now, nothing. If I'm able to sell the 6505+ between $800-$1000, or a straight up trade amp-amp
Sound: NWOBHM, Stone Sour, Classic Rock, a BIT of Metalcore
Used or new: Either or, not too picky
Home, maybe gig once in a while, like a coffeehouse performance or the like
Closest city: London, ON, Stratford ON, Canada

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20

Last edited by Charvel1995 : 10-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

First of all, go play the oranges. Id ask for 1,100 and advertise the like new condition. Though I doubt youll see an offer much higher than 950 bucks.

6505s are great amps. But the clean channel really hurts it. Maybe you should grab a chorus pedal before selling it?

If your searching for metal and cleans, a Tiny Terror isnt what you want.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
I've heard the cleans on the Tiny Terror can be pretty wonderful, and I have a Tubescreamer I can use for a boost if I wanted to. The cleans on my 6505+ seem to be consistently dirty, and I'm slowly figuring out that this amp isn't really right for me.

You've heard wrong. The Tiny Terror has some basic cleans at low levels, but at any sort of gigging volume, they are gritty and overdriven, aka no longer clean. Even when I had a Dual Terror (30w) it was hard to keep the cleans going at a loud volume, although manageable.

If you need cleans, look elsewhere. That said, any of the Terror amps are fantastic and I recommend you play them all. The Dual Terror may be better for you, but the Jim Root Terror has a lot of cool things going for it.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Alright now that that mess is out of the way,

Budget?
Desired sound?
Used or new?
Home or Gig?
Closest city if used?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I already have a chorus pedal, and it doesn't really get me where I want.

The clean channel isn't really as clean as I'm looking for.

It's not that I'm searching for both, but they'd both be nice. My 6505+ plus is amazing for metal core, and ny sort of modern metal tone, but it's a little too much power for what I want, 120 Watts is far more than what I need.

It's a bit too heavy for me to take anywhere, and it's just overal too much power. I'm finding that more and more all I get from it is BFMV, OM&M, MMF, and other metal core tones. I like the core, don't get me wrong, but I want something a little more British flavouring so to speak. My Maiden, Saxon, and X Japan tone suffers through it.
Even selling it for $950 would let me buy the Orange head, plus hav nearly $200 left over after taxes. I could put it into pickup or something if I truly wanted

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Perverockstar69

AFAIK Cleans on the terror series are not that great, specially on high volumes.
Answer these questions and we will be able to help you better http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138.

I don't think $1000 would be fair, at least if you are on the US. Is it a head or a combo? Maybe a little bit less?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 10-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Grab a used JCM 2000 DSL. It wont get you metalcore tones. But replace the tubes with JJs it will get pretty heavy. Iron Maiden, and other classic british metal bands will be easy to get.

As for metal, I can get mine with an overdrive pretty heavy. Not tight, djent or metalcore. But Tool, or alternative metals. Plus they have a great clean channel.

Dont buy a new DSL
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

they can too djent! with a TS-9 on the Lead 2 channel and a 7 string. you bet they can!

for $950, you could get a Orange TH30 head B-stock or new from Humbucker Music. but that's just an idea. I would take one over a Jim Root any day.

i strongly suggest you look used, you'll save way more money.
here's some general amps suggestions:

Egnater Vengeance
Egnater Armageddon
Orange TH30
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL100
I mean, I guess the jim root terror. but it won't have good cleans at anywhere near gigging volumes.

Why are you using a tele through a 6505+ anyway...hahaha, it better have a dimebucker in it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Well I can get them pretty heavy. I dont play Djent, and have never tried so that my be why Ive never gotten it out of the amp. Haha.

And TS, I love my mids, but the DSL does have a mid scoop button if you're into that blasphemy.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
they can too djent! with a TS-9 on the Lead 2 channel and a 7 string. you bet they can!

for $950, you could get a Orange TH30 head B-stock or new from Humbucker Music. but that's just an idea. I would take one over a Jim Root any day.

i strongly suggest you look used, you'll save way more money.
here's some general amps suggestions:

Egnater Vengeance
Egnater Armageddon
Orange TH30
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL100
I mean, I guess the jim root terror. but it won't have good cleans at anywhere near gigging volumes.

Why are you using a tele through a 6505+ anyway...hahaha, it better have a dimebucker in it.

I also have a Jackson Rhoads with humbuckers in it, just not listed in my sig. Also, ordering online is NOT an option. I can rule out Egnater already. Marshall is possible, but I'm not a huge Marshall fan

My local shop (in my town) only carries little things, like the MG50, Line 6 Spider IV, and stuff like that.

The other closest stores are Long-McQuade and Walters Music

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Last edited by Charvel1995 : 10-31-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
mmjohn
Call me John

Check out an Egnater Renegade it'll cover everything your looking for....
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
I also have a Jackson Rhoads with humbuckers in it, just not listed in my sig. Also, ordering online is NOT an option.

Ok, have you been to any local shops? What do they have in stock?

and a renegade isn't really what he's looking for. they're not geared towards metalcore or modern metal although they do have good cleans and good drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

the new dsl's that they have brought out sound pretty good, check them out, really affordable too. think its 40 and 15 watt head and combos!

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

I'd recommend you get an EVH 5150 III 50w, they're considerably more versatile than the 6505/Peavey 5150 series amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
AFAIK Cleans on the terror series are not that great, specially on high volumes.
Answer these questions and we will be able to help you better http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138.

I don't think $1000 would be fair, at least if you are on the US. Is it a head or a combo? Maybe a little bit less?

I live in Canada, and it's the head. Again, like new, never been gigged etc, etc.

Also, I'm not looking for a combo amp. I'll just toss that out there

Here are some brands I can get at L&M/Walters, I can test MOST of them - availability dependant

Marshall
Hughes & Kettner
Orange
Mesa Boogie
Vox
Fender
Peavey

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Last edited by Charvel1995 : 10-31-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

steer clear of the new DSLs. they are very fizzy and lack good cleans IMO. like a Haze mixed with an MA.

Definitely check out any Oranges or Mesas you come across, and an older DSL50 or DSL100 Marshall or a JCM900 (which is a bit of a stretch). Don't be discouraged from a brand based on one model you try, people tend to do that I've noticed.

Does L&M stock Jet City?

Would your budget be solely what you get from the 6505?
Mesa has some great options but they are out of your price range of a grand or less. the Mini Rec maybe not but it's a waste of money. If you really watch Kijiji or craigslist or ebay then a Mk IV may pop up for around that budget.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
mmjohn
Call me John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
I'd recommend you get an EVH 5150 III 50w, they're considerably more versatile than the 6505/Peavey 5150 series amps.

Agreed.....he did say a bit of metacore.....boosted it gets there and covers all his needs....I've got the 5150iii and its the perfect choice.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
steer clear of the new DSLs. they are very fizzy and lack good cleans IMO. like a Haze mixed with an MA.

Definitely check out any Oranges or Mesas you come across, and an older DSL50 or DSL100 Marshall or a JCM900 (which is a bit of a stretch). Don't be discouraged from a brand based on one model you try, people tend to do that I've noticed.

Does L&M stock Jet City?

Would your budget be solely what you get from the 6505?
Mesa has some great options but they are out of your price range of a grand or less. the Mini Rec maybe not but it's a waste of money. If you really watch Kijiji or craigslist or ebay then a Mk IV may pop up for around that budget.

There are no Ontario dealers fo JCA stuff, the closest is Quebec, nearly 7 hours away from me..

Yes the budget would be solely from the 6505+ sale, assuming I can sell it. I'll see what Walters Music would giv me for the 6505+, even though I bought it from them.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Are you only dismissing Egnater because of the lack of in-sore availability? I really think the Vengeance/Armageddon sound like what you want. I would steer clear of Mesa and Fender if you want a British tone of any sort.

That's unfortunate about Jet City. They would be another excellent choice in this situation.

Is the reason you refuse to buy online simply because you can't try the stuff first? It sounds like you're really screwing yourself out of the better options due to store availability.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Are you only dismissing Egnater because of the lack of in-sore availability? I really think the Vengeance/Armageddon sound like what you want. I would steer clear of Mesa and Fender if you want a British tone of any sort.

That's unfortunate about Jet City. They would be another excellent choice in this situation.

Is the reason you refuse to buy online simply because you can't try the stuff first? It sounds like you're really screwing yourself out of the better options due to store availability.

I have no means of buying online as I have no credit card, and i would be paying out the ass for shipping and taxes.
If i had the means to get an amp online i would.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Rate This Thread: