Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Obama FTW
you can call me Bill.

ESP Viper 400.

I found an ESP LTD Viper 400 on craigslist. It has active EMGs(81/85s). It looks pretty good, comes with a case. I have a few questions for anyone who has played one. How is the neck size? I prefer thinner ones. How do the pickups sound? Is it a light or heavy guitar?

I can get it for $225. I'd obviously make sure all the electronics work before purchase. Here is the post.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/3369803602.html

What do you guys think? Worth it?

Pedals
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Amp
Peavey 5150

Go Falcons!
Obama FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

The neck of the Viper series is pretty nice. It starts off rounded and flattens out at the neck joint. It's great for shredding at higher frets but I just could not get used to it. My Viper-1000 is collecting dusts now

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama FTW
I found an ESP LTD Viper 400 on craigslist. It has active EMGs(81/85s). It looks pretty good, comes with a case. I have a few questions for anyone who has played one. How is the neck size? I prefer thinner ones. How do the pickups sound? Is it a light or heavy guitar?

I can get it for $225. I'd obviously make sure all the electronics work before purchase. Here is the post.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/3369803602.html

What do you guys think? Worth it?

You can always schedule a "meeting" with it and test how it sounds and/or feels. That should be the best way of making your mind up onyour final decision.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
J_W

I have a Viper 401 and it's a nice guitar. Got mine in perfect condition with HSC for 300. The neck is the thin U. It's fairly thin, but don't expect Ibanez Wizard thin. The EMG's, well they sound like EMG's. A lot of guys complain about it not being balanced and it being neck heavy. Personally, the weight and balance doesn't bother me at all. It's a fairly heavy guitar but it's not THAT heavy. People relocate the strap buttons and it should balance better but I'm not about to drill any extra holes for something that's not an issue to me.

I think for 225 it's a good deal. If you can try it out that's obviously better but if not I think for that price you really can't go wrong here. If you went and bought just the pickups, that's 200 bucks right there.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
AsOneIStand

Get it. At the very least, you can make a profit.
AsOneIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
samuraigoomba

I have a Viper 1000 and it's great. I really like what LTD has done with the SG body style. It looks a bit weird at first, but it's a very comfortable guitar sitting in either playing position. The neck is thin but not super thin, which is good for me since I can't stand necks that are way too thin. My Viper 1000 isn't really neck heavy. It's not a light-weight guitar, but definitely manageable.

The kicker is the 400 series and up for LTD are considered the "good" LTDs, so at that price you can always sell it and get something else if it sucks. I will add, however, that I have no experience with the EMGs since mine has Duncans.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I honestly don't think you could find a better guitar (objectively) for that price. Jump on it ASAP.

Even if you don't like it you could sell it for AT LEAST $300 on eBay.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Obama FTW
you can call me Bill.

Thanks for the help guys. Im going to look at it tomorrow. Anything I should look for in particular with this guitar? Anything specific with the active pickups or something like that?

Pedals
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Amp
Peavey 5150

Go Falcons!
Obama FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

That's one helluva a deal, dude.

Just make sure everything works. Also, check the truss rod. bring a set of allen wrenches if you have to. Some people strip out truss rods using the wrong size wrench, and it's one of those things that you don't notice until later.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: