Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Amp vs Pickups + Wood
Amp 25 100.00%
Pickups + Wood 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
solidrane
Wekk Blka
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Amp vs Pickup Tone + Wood

I know the amp provides the most in terms of tone, but by how much? 60% amp, 20%/20% wood/pickups?

Is a new amp comparable to getting premium pickups and wood in terms of tone impprovement?
__________________
???

Last edited by solidrane : 10-31-2012 at 03:35 PM.
solidrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
these 'percentages' claims are 100% bullshit.

Irony intended.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
solidrane
Wekk Blka
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
these 'percentages' claims are 100% bullshit.

Irony intended.


Rofl, just my assumptions i guess
__________________
???
solidrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
 
jeleopard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Most will come from amp. But percentages aren't really reliable to measure...
__________________
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug
 
lemurflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Amp first. Then wood, pickups, strings, and fingers to tweak the tone.
__________________
ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
these 'percentages' claims are 100% bullshit.

Irony intended.


agreed. 87% of statistics are made up.

most will come from the amp- but that depends on which amps you're comparing, and there might be some tonal things from elsewhere which might be pretty subtle, but which you might not be able to adjust for at the amp, either, kind of thing.

EDIT: i'd say it's about evenly split between amp (including speakers and cab), guitar (as a whole) and fx. And assuming you're looking at vastly different things in each (i.e. you're not comparing a 5150 to a fender twin while comparing a fender strat to a very slightly different type of fender strat).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
JELIFISH19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York City
If you play 2 different guitars through one amp, they'll sound different
If you play one guitar through 2 different amps, they'll sound different
That means:
Playing the right guitar through the wrong amp is not a good combination
Playing the wrong guitar through the right amp is not a good combination
That's my math
__________________
Currently Own:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z (Galaxy White)
Fender American Deluxe Strat (Chrome/Silver Maple)
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
 
Wesbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Anglia, UK


Pointless topic, pointless thread. Stop trying to quantify what are inherently subjective topics.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
yeah- i'd say be very wary of anyone who gives you concrete answers. it's very dependent on what you're comparing. plus pretty subjective, too, as you said.

E.g. is the amp more important? probably, but if you compare a blackface twin to a silverface twin and then a strat to a les paul, then the guitar is more important.

as i said, you have to compare like with like. Assuming you allow for the biggest possible changes, i'd say, from biggest to lowest differences:

amp (compare a 5150 to a twin, BIG difference)
pedals (compare a fuzz pedal to no pedal, again, BIG difference)
guitar (compare a strat to a les paul, pretty big difference)
speakers/pickups (i'd say they're about equal)

those would be the big differences, for me

then smaller, but still usually noticeable differences

speaker cabinet type/size/etc.
valves/tubes

these next ones all make a difference, but how much and in what order

wood
neck and body thickness/shape
bridge type
neck joint type
scale length
fret size and material/nut material
probably some others i've forgotten

as for putting percentages... nah. Depending on what you're comparing between, some of those could change in importance, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
 
Huge Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Amp. You can get a shitty guitar to sound better through a more powerful amp. Playing a guitar with great pickups through a shit amp will still sound like shit.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Wow what a surprise, everyone is voting amp....
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
 
JesusCrisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austria
Almost everything is relevant.

+1 to Dave's post.
__________________
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
tone isn't as simple as "60% this, 40% that". the contributions made by the various components of a rig- cables, wood, pickups, pots, caps, amp, pedals, strings, speakers, room size- all effect different parts of your tone. for instance, getting a new amp will not make your guitar sound like it was made from premium wood if it was made of plywood- that's just not how it works.

each component effects only its own contribution to the sound. that means that the a new amp only effects the portion of the tone contributed by the amp. the real difference is in how the parts work together- the right pickups with the right amp can make a tremendous difference. Also, depending on what gear is being used, something as small as a different patch chord or better quality batteries can make your tone noticeably better.

essentially, the source of tone is the rig as a whole. there is no single piece that is the key to great tone or that will make or break the tone. because your guitar tone is made up of all sorts of different components working together, you need to consider each component to be important. yes, there are some components that will make a seemingly bigger change than others- like an amp. but there is no component that can universally improve an entire rig on its own.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
tone isn't as simple as "60% this, 40% that". the contributions made by the various components of a rig- cables, wood, pickups, pots, caps, amp, pedals, strings, speakers, room size- all effect different parts of your tone. for instance, getting a new amp will not make your guitar sound like it was made from premium wood if it was made of plywood- that's just not how it works.

each component effects only its own contribution to the sound. that means that the a new amp only effects the portion of the tone contributed by the amp. the real difference is in how the parts work together- the right pickups with the right amp can make a tremendous difference. Also, depending on what gear is being used, something as small as a different patch chord or better quality batteries can make your tone noticeably better.

essentially, the source of tone is the rig as a whole. there is no single piece that is the key to great tone or that will make or break the tone. because your guitar tone is made up of all sorts of different components working together, you need to consider each component to be important. yes, there are some components that will make a seemingly bigger change than others- like an amp. but there is no component that can universally improve an entire rig on its own.

Well of course, but the question here is which has the most impact on your tone. That is obviously the amp.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusCrisp
Almost everything is relevant.

+1 to Dave's post.




Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
tone isn't as simple as "60% this, 40% that". the contributions made by the various components of a rig- cables, wood, pickups, pots, caps, amp, pedals, strings, speakers, room size- all effect different parts of your tone. for instance, getting a new amp will not make your guitar sound like it was made from premium wood if it was made of plywood- that's just not how it works.

each component effects only its own contribution to the sound. that means that the a new amp only effects the portion of the tone contributed by the amp. the real difference is in how the parts work together- the right pickups with the right amp can make a tremendous difference. Also, depending on what gear is being used, something as small as a different patch chord or better quality batteries can make your tone noticeably better.

essentially, the source of tone is the rig as a whole. there is no single piece that is the key to great tone or that will make or break the tone. because your guitar tone is made up of all sorts of different components working together, you need to consider each component to be important. yes, there are some components that will make a seemingly bigger change than others- like an amp. but there is no component that can universally improve an entire rig on its own.


agreed, except i'd say there probably are some things that could "break the tone". a really bad cable, say, or something like that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Well of course, but the question here is which has the most impact on your tone. That is obviously the amp.


but that just isn't true. at least, not in all cases.

if you run a tremendous pedal board, a big rack unit (like axe FX or similar) and a heavily modded guitar with active electronics, the amp ultimately becomes a very small (or even non-existent) part of the rig.

saying the amp is the most important part of any guitar rig is, frankly, a severely misinformed statement.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
but that just isn't true. at least, not in all cases.

if you run a tremendous pedal board, a big rack unit (like axe FX or similar) and a heavily modded guitar with active electronics, the amp ultimately becomes a very small (or even non-existent) part of the rig.

saying the amp is the most important part of any guitar rig is, frankly, a severely misinformed statement.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The question was about the AMP VS PICKUPS+GUITAR. In the case were you only have an amp and a guitar, the amp will determine your tone more than anything.

I get what your saying, I just don't think it applies to the question at hand.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The question was about the AMP VS PICKUPS+GUITAR. In the case were you only have an amp and a guitar, the amp will determine your tone more than anything.

I get what your saying, I just don't think it applies to the question at hand.


I think the issue is that, as I see it, the question isn't a relevant one. looking at only wood+pickups or the amp is shortsighted and cannot possibly address the whole issue.

beyond that, depending on the circumstances, either of those options could prove to be more true than the other. you simply cannot say that either one is definitively and universally more important than the other. it just isn't possible.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
ne14t
Registered User
 
ne14t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Amp because that is what people are hearing obviously, then I would have to say pickups because without them no signal is going to your amp regardless of what wood the guitar is made out of, then wood because to be honest it does affect resonance and tone but not as dramatically as a set of pickups can. I mean if I swap PAFs into my Explorer which has Gibson's hottest ceramic pickups it will sound different. If I then put those ceramic pickups in my Les Paul that has 57 classic's in it, it will sound a lot like my Explorer did. My buddies Les Paul actually has the same pickups as my Explorer and it sounds almost identical, a little brighter because of the maple cap. I think fingers and pick attack can play more of a roll in tone then woods.
__________________
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
I think the issue is that, as I see it, the question isn't a relevant one. looking at only wood+pickups or the amp is shortsighted and cannot possibly address the whole issue.

I don't think it's irrelevant. Yes, adding components will alter your tone, and the more components there are, the less the amp matters. But some people don't want to add anything. I personally only like the sound I get from an amp and guitar.

I understand your argument, and I've made the same argument myself. On an electric guitar, the ability to alter your tone is so great that the "amp vs tonewood/pickups" argument is small potatoes in the overall scope of things. But that doesn't change the fact that some people don't want tweak their rig to perfection, they just want it to be simple and sound good.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.