Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

DIY Tube Amp - Beginner

I've been thinking a lot latly, about trying to build my own tube amp. I'm not 100% sure where I should start, so I've come here to ask the experts!

I've seen kits for sale in the $300 price range, but I'm trying to keep this project as cheap as possible; I was thinking of just finding a good schematic, and sourcing the parts myself.

I should state that I'm by no means an electronics expert (thats why I'm here) , basically, I have a fairly deacent understanding of electronics theory (I took a few courses in college), and I can solder.

For this project, I'm not as focued on building an awesome tube amp (It would be nice though), as I am focued on learing how the amps work, and learning how to build better ones.

I found a schematic for a 17 watt 6L6 and a 12-50 watt amp.

Basically, I'm just looking for some imput, and suggestions as to where I should start, and what direction to go in. I'm not completly set on using either of those schematics, so if someone has a better suggestion, by all means shoot it to me. I'm not planning on starting this project for another month or so, but I'd like to have all my ducks in a line before I do start!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Building a tube amp can be an expensive proposition - even more expensive than buying something off the shelf. I thought about building one a few years ago, but decided I could get a better one off the shelf at my nearest guitar store. Going with a kit is probably a wise decision. The kit should give you the theory of operation, which will help broaden your knowledge and experience.

Take your time. Read the directions. Follow the directions. Check your work. Check your work again. Plug it in. Cross your fingers. Turn it on.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

The main reason why I want to build the amp myself is to learn more about amp design/construction.

I know I can probably by a better off the shelf amp, but what would be the fun in that?
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Arab_Philosofer

I'm in the same boat at as you friend. The prospect of building your own amp is very exciting. but the knowledge isn't quite there. I wanna build a one for now that'll run under $ 100.

I found this http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic...&t=7018&start=0
This is intriguing.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
The main reason why I want to build the amp myself is to learn more about amp design/construction.

I know I can probably by a better off the shelf amp, but what would be the fun in that?

Understood. My goal wasn't to learn electronics - I'm already a technician. My goal was to build something unique - something that might be better than what I could get off the shelf. I just couldn't justify the extra expense as opposed to what I could buy that was already built.

Best of luck and I'll look forward to seeing your photos of the completed project.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
~Luke~

definitly have a look at ax84.com, there you'll find schematics, layouts, a builders guide and the theory behind a few (relative) simple tube amps!
~Luke~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
DuctTapeNinja
Custom Gear FTW!

Good luck, test each component before you put it in and take your time to get everything right. It sucks to get an amp together and have it not work. Especially if you're like me and don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot it properly yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
DuctTapeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder

+1 for AX84.com. My sig has a link to a tutorial I did showing how to build one of their kits.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
DLrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
I've seen kits for sale in the $300 price range, but I'm trying to keep this project as cheap as possible; I was thinking of just finding a good schematic, and sourcing the parts myself.

Just an FYI, building a tube amp for $300 is INSANELY cheap.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Trisonic77
Dangerous Side Effect

This is one of the cheaper kits I've found online... it sounds pretty promising actually, based on the videos. 215 for Chassis, parts and detailed instructions (no speaker, no cab).

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102_guitar_amp_kit

I just bought the thunderdrive as a test run at doing this sort of thing... I may get an amp kit if I've got the bug.

My Youtube:
Arrow TB
Trisonic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisonic77
This is one of the cheaper kits I've found online... it sounds pretty promising actually, based on the videos. 215 for Chassis, parts and detailed instructions (no speaker, no cab).

I just bought the thunderdrive as a test run at doing this sort of thing... I may get an amp kit if I've got the bug.

Impressive to offer that for that cost, especially with hammond iron (not the greatest stuff out there, but you know it isn't going to go "poof" which is half the battle). The instructions are also _very_ good for a beginner.

The amp itself is the same old Fender clean channel that everyone and their mother has copied going into a single ended EL84, as cheap as you can go and get decent tone. My only comment is that this thing (at least IMHO) screams the need of a Master Volume, which would be easy to modify in.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
DLrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisonic77

This looks pretty interensting! I'll have to take a better look at it!

It is exactly what I want, somthing pretty basic that will be fun to put together
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Rate This Thread: