Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

DIY CNC routers?

I've been reading a lot about these lately, and it seems like it's possible to build a CNC router that's big enough to cut out guitar bodies and necks for around $500. I don't know jack about CNC routers, but I always thought they would be much, much more than that. Am I missing something?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
LeviMan_2001

You have to build it, and build it precisely or else it won't be precise.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
You have to build it, and build it precisely or else it won't be precise.

So basically if I'm capable of doing that, building a CNC router for $500 is a real possibility?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
LeviMan_2001

Sure probably. I mean really all it is is a router on a couple axis powered by some stepper motors. I know a guy who built one, no idea on details or how much he put into it, but it certainly is possible. I've heard of the ones that use stepper motors and then there are ones that are more precise that use servos that send information back about where the cutting head actually (rather than where it should be). That way if it gets a bit bogged down it doesn't get misaligned. Obviously the stepper motors are much cheaper.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
rapfohl09

One thing I know you won't be able to get for 500 dollars is the computer systems and software. A CNC router doesn't just know what to do, and can only make a piece as good as you are at making a 3D model.

The last time I was interested in getting a Solidworks license, the cheapest one was about 3000 dollars for a nice package.
rapfohl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfohl09
One thing I know you won't be able to get for 500 dollars is the computer systems and software. A CNC router doesn't just know what to do, and can only make a piece as good as you are at making a 3D model.

The last time I was interested in getting a Solidworks license, the cheapest one was about 3000 dollars for a nice package.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/opens...64-freecad.html

I won't guarante great software, but free does exist.
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
seljer
UG Resident

You could do more with $500 of regular power tools and some plywood templates than with a $500 cnc machine

You may be able to get one together for $500, but you're going to be limited by bearing quality, backlash, torque, spindle speed/power and the overall size of your entire machine. The electronics and the PC side of things aren't at all a problem these days. Search for "cnc router" on instructables.com to see what people have DIY'd

Last edited by seljer : 11-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfohl09

Solidworks(with the acedemia discount) is $150 a year. Other programs exist for less, like turbocnc($60). One of the more popular ones is Mach 3, which I believe is about $180.

As far as making 3D models goes, I'm not worried about that. I'm capable of doing such things, and some models are available for download already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
You could do more with $500 of regular power tools and some plywood templates than with a $500 cnc machine

You can build and entire carved top body in no time with a CNC machine. It's arguable that making the 3D model will take a decent chunk of time, but that's only if a unique 3D model needs to be created, and would only have to be made once(which matters more in mass production).
Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
You may be able to get one together for $500, but you're going to be limited by bearing quality, backlash, torque, spindle speed/power and the overall size of your entire machine. The electronics and the PC side of things aren't at all a problem these days. Search for "cnc router" on instructables.com to see what people have DIY'd

Are you basing that on anything factual? Are you certain that a $500 CNC router would not be up the task of routing guitar bodies and necks?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Nix_94

Nix_94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: