Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
shameolot

Question need advice for a new guitar

Hey UG,
I need some guidance for deciding what guitar to purchase. I'm going to go 50/50 with my grandparents on a new guitar for my graduation. There is just so much to choose from though I have trouble narrowing it all down.

Budget- 1500-1600 USD

My favorite artists usually change by season it's very wide from Paul Gilbert to Phil X

Preferences- I don't like using tremolo bars of any kind I'd much rather have a Stop tail or a string through bridge. Body shape doesn't matter to me much, but body wood does. I'd like Mahogany or Swamp Ash and a Maple fret board.
My pickups will be changed after a few months either way. I just don't prefer actives they really aren't for me. The guitar must have a humbucker in the bridge though.

It can be new or used, some of the best pieces of gear I've gotten used.

I'm right at the New Jersey shore so I have access to a lot of guitar shops.

My current gear is a 6505+ with a nice little pedal board

So can you help me out?
shameolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
miio

Get an Ibanez PGM301, it's not mahogany or swamp ash tho, but still a great guitar!
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
2thebeat89
Banned

Someone answer me here plaese! (removed)
Thank you!
2thebeat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
shameolot

I really like that guitar and it never crossed my mind before, however; I really don't like that it's basswood. I just never really got too attached to it when I tested out a few basswood guitars.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
miio

Hmm, have you thought about getting the Ibanez FRM100? I recently played one and I liked it quite a bit. The neck felt a bit weird since it was a little bit thicker than I'm used to but it felt like one you'll get used to.

Also in that budget I can recommend checking out Suhr guitars!
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Carvin should be able to deliver your entire wish list, and within your price range. They may even have something in stock that suits you.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/solidbody.php

Ravelle has a few models that might suit you- the Ravelle or Dragonfly, in the Elite, Elite JP, or SHIN models (though all of their fretboards are ebony or rosewood):

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/rav...elle-elite.html

Malden's Bulldozer, Karma and Bad Karma likewise might suit you but for the rosewood fretboards:

http://maldenguitars.com/

U.S. Masters has several models that would suit you well- the Vector, Sportster, Hornet, Vxtreme and Blackhawk offer everything you want, but most models start around $1500, so price might be an issue.

http://www.usmasters.com/allmodels.htm

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
shameolot

I have looked at Carvin a lot lately.I do like the idea that they have semi-custom guitars. Also I guess the fretboard doesn't have to be maple the guitar I have right now actually has an ebony one. I'm going to check out all those other brands too.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Another one you might like- except the rosewood fretboard (again!)- is Godin's Redline HB.
http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
shameolot

Luckily for me the guitar shop I live right across from sells Godin guitars so I've had the pleasure of playing if, but I didn't like the bolt on neck, it just did not feel right. I've been spoiled by having my main guitar having a set neck.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

That's why there are different brands- we are none of us alike in our tastes and peccidilos.

I personally don't have an issue with neck types of any kind. But give me a Fender, a G&L and a Godin to try, I'll pick the Fender last every time. Good as they are, there is something about them that does not feel right in my hands.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
shameolot

Well I spent most of today looking and I really like the Carvin DC600 especially because I can get it with a swamp ash body AND a maple fret board. Plus I really like that superstrat shape.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

I was thinking an EVH wolfgang special hardtail, but it's a basswood body (could have fooled me). brilliant guitars, some of the best players I've ever come across.

a schecter Hellraiser Extreme c-1 comes pretty close too, but it comes stock with EMG's, which you didn't want. however, it is mahogany with a maple fingerboard, and a hardtail. so, if you're considering a pickup swap anyways, it could be an option.

a richmond dorchester might also be an option. the silverleaf maple body sounds almost identical to mahogany, and the lace pickups are epic. it's a little bit of an odd guitar, but it plays beautifully and sounds great.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

I don't own a Carvin myself, but I know a lot of people who do...and they are very happy owners. Because of them, i have a couple of Carvins on my G.A.S. list. About the only complaint I hear about Carvin guitars- and not from those people I know personally- is that some consider their pickups a bit bland.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
shameolot

Wait, the EVH has a hardtail style? That would be ideal because that guitar is beautiful I could honestly go for anything if I think it is good! I have a Schecter Tempest Custom and I love it to death I just want to try something different.

I'll look into the Richmond Dorchester because it sounds a bit odd but I like different

Also, the about the Carvin pickups, I heard they are a bit bland and boring but I have a friend of mine who enjoys making custom pickups plus I do have two bareknuckle pickups waiting for a guitar to be put into.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Richmond is a subsidiary of Godin- that should be a good guitar. (I'm looking at the Belmont myself.)

Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
shameolot

I checked out the Dorchester and I liked the body shape and the pickups (I've always wanted to try those Lace humbuckers) but It looks like it would feel awkward and a little bulky.

I've narrowed it down to two different guitars
the Carvin DC600 and a used Gibson SG-X that I saw at a local shop. I have spent a long time looking for one and it's been on my G.A.S list. They are two totally different guitars so I"ll have to try a DC600 out, the SG-X needs a bit of work.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Lace is pretty cool- I have a trio of Alumitones in one of my guitars.

Rate This Thread: