Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #81
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation
 
Life Is Brutal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Omnivium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Ah, but it's not the size of the cannon that matters: It's the force of the shot.

Besides: My genre's girth far exceeds your genres girth.


You're all wrong.

Bitches don't know bout my density.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean metal is complex or not clear cut - it just isn't easily explained by a system that wasn't meant to explain it.


Yeah, which is why its difficult to incorporate teaching it unless our current system is altered.

This doesn't make it more complex, it just makes it more like trying to describe a book in Latin when you only know English, Spanish, and Italian.
__________________
|GP5 Compositions|
V Classical and Jazz centric Tech Death V
Life Is Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #82
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
But this applies only if you play guitar.


True. But this being a guitar forum and all....

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #83
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
True. But this being a guitar forum and all....

CT


i think half the people in MT don't even own a guitar i know i don't
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #84
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
The snobbery in this thread is high, even for MT.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #85
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Snobbery be damned. Step up and make some claims about the size of your genre.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #86
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
True. But this being a guitar forum and all....

CT

But it doesn't make the music complex if the guitar part in classical or jazz is more difficult than in metal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #87
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Yes and no.

If you are comparing primarily monophonic melodic lines against power chords to melodies and countermelodies, or to melodies with extended harmonic accompaniment, then yes, it does.

However, my part of the discussion was not intended to be about composition. It was intended only as a commentary of why classical and jazz are generally the only options in advanced academic music performance programs.

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #88
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Snobbery be damned. Step up and make some claims about the size of your genre.

I don't even need to. It's already a pretty known fact that power metal is the best genre out there. Anyone who says otherwise is just hatin'.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #89
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Yes and no.

If you are comparing primarily monophonic melodic lines against power chords to melodies and countermelodies, or to melodies with extended harmonic accompaniment, then yes, it does.

However, my part of the discussion was not intended to be about composition. It was intended only as a commentary of why classical and jazz are generally the only options in advanced academic music performance programs.

CT

Yes, that's true.

I think the jazz program also includes pop music. At least here in Finland it's called pop/jazz, not just jazz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #90
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I don't even need to. It's already a pretty known fact that power metal is the best genre out there. Anyone who says otherwise is just hatin'.


Ah, self-confidence. I like it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #91
:-D
hi
 
:-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
You just won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #92
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
__________________
i'm on the vidya!

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #93
TheHydra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #94
seljer
UG Resident
 
seljer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.




seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #95
TheHydra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer



Andy Rehfeldt has an amazing ear for arrangement and is very skilled at his craft. He's a big inspiration.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #96
GoldenGuitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.

A few of the jazzers at my uni play metal gigs on the side for the money.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #97
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.


that's more an issue of attitude than capabilities.

though it would be kinda like slumming it if you're over 19 and stay well-groomed
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #98
TheHydra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
that's more an issue of attitude than capabilities.

though it would be kinda like slumming it if you're over 19 and stay well-groomed

I guess I should reword then. I don't think a lot of jazz players would be able to compose a metal song or improvise in a metal environment. It's simply an issue of unfamiliarity and lack of identification with the genre. If you're 30 years old, play and listen to mostly bebop and blues, and someone asks you to listen to Meshuggah and write something akin to it, I think it'd be a bit unreasonable.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #99
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
I guess I should reword then. I don't think a lot of jazz players would be able to compose a metal song or improvise in a metal environment. It's simply an issue of unfamiliarity and lack of identification with the genre. If you're 30 years old, play and listen to mostly bebop and blues, and someone asks you to listen to Meshuggah and write something akin to it, I think it'd be a bit unreasonable.


...really?

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #100
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I'm inclined to agree there, mostly. There are things that are idiomatic to a genre that, unless you are a fan of, and/or have experience playing in it, that you're just not going to get.

It's very similar to the notion that any decent guitar player can play bass. While functionally true, it won't come off as the person actually being a "bass player."

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.