User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #81
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
Because they are. You can't quantify or prove talent. It's entirely perspective. What makes your example real talent? You saying so? Not a very convincing argument.

Compare the amount of effort and thought gone in to song composition, phrasing, dynamics, flow of the piece, are there ideas being put forward? are these ideas realized? etc.

Peoples' tastes are subjective, certain elements of music are not.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #82
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi_hammett
****ing sucks.... One of my biggest influences to get body art. Its a shame he died. I really feel bad for his daughter Kenadee and his dog parker.

thats a ****ing stupid name. Why didn't he just spell it "Kennedy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
TOMMYB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #83
willT08
Official Classist

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
Compare the amount of effort and thought gone in to song composition, phrasing, dynamics, flow of the piece, are there ideas being put forward? are these ideas realized? etc.

And you have records of how much effort and thought he put into compositions, phrasing, dynamics, flow of the piece and so on?

Without that, I don't know why anyone would take your point seriously at all, or even if you did.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #84
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:

If do all those things but my piece is still awful then am I talented? Putting hours into painstakingly constructed chords, following fundamental rules of composition. No parallel fifths or octaves, no tritone leaps, correct space between voices. I could put years into a piece that has all the things you listed and people might still hate it. It would still be "bad" music. If you're talking about the rules of music then it isn't subjective. If you're speaking of talent in a world where there are no rules then it's all subjective. There are no rules to Deathcore.

People like you have always existed. Always acting the authority on what is talent or trash. Keep in mind, I pretty much hate this guy's music. This doesn't mean I have any authority over what his music is or isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #85
Valgoroth

Died from a motorcycle crash on Halloween night. Condolences for his family and all that, but that's one of the most metal ways to die.
Valgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #86
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

I knew there was going to be some kind of flaming in this thread and it seems I was correct.

For christ's sake guys, this is a thread dedicated to the memory of a man who died.

What you think of the man's music is irrelevant, and this is not the place to be discussing it.

I didn't know who the guy was until earlier today when I heard he died. I don't like his music, but that doesn't matter because I came here to say RIP.
Random3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #87
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything

Just came home from an ETID show where they had a moment silence for him.

EDIT: Although, I was quite drunk and did not realise why everybody had went dead silent until it was all over.
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void

Last edited by guitarist41 : 11-01-2012 at 10:39 PM.
guitarist41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #88
Portuguese_boy

rip brother

Quote:
well that's some cop-out bullshit right there. By that argument, someone who argues Bach wasn't talented is just as right as someone who argues he was.

They're talented at making generic deathcore, and if you think that requires an acceptional amount of talent, you crazy.

Again, if you want an example of a real talented vocalist/lyricist in the core subgenre: Jacob Bannon.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in a while.
Portuguese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #89
Dregen
andy, you're a star

i don't see why people had to start shit, i mean if you're gonna be negative you could at least be half-respectable about it instead of acting like an asshole.

that being said, RIP, decent vocalist. didn't really dig their music too much aside from their newest album, but the guy's screams and how he layered them made them stand out to me.
Dregen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #90
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFripp74
Bit of respect bro please?

The guy was talented for the genre, I've not listened to the band for like 4 years but he had some pipes. I'm no fan but no one deserves to die, so a bit of respect for the deceased yeah?

He's dead. He doesn't care.

-Michael Faraday

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #91
moscaespaņol
>alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
Not a fan of the band, but that's a shitty way to go.

Also that final tweet is... really eerie.

RIP

**** man.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
moscaespaņol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #92
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
And you have records of how much effort and thought he put into compositions, phrasing, dynamics, flow of the piece and so on?

I'd imagine, in general it takes longer, and more thought goes in to composing classical music than any derivative of rock. Just think about how long the pieces are, the amount of instruments, the various harmonies and melodies, etc.

Why do you think the music is still appreciated and known by those familiar with music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
If do all those things but my piece is still awful then am I talented? Putting hours into painstakingly constructed chords, following fundamental rules of composition. No parallel fifths or octaves, no tritone leaps, correct space between voices. I could put years into a piece that has all the things you listed and people might still hate it. It would still be "bad" music. If you're talking about the rules of music then it isn't subjective. If you're speaking of talent in a world where there are no rules then it's all subjective. There are no rules to Deathcore.

There are rules to deathcore: over emphasis on breakdowns, sterile production, complete lack of what defined the genre of death metal.

I should've said as a general rule the more time and therefore effort and thought that goes into a piece the better chance it has of being well put together, but of course there's exceptions.

Besides, these guys (SS) even say in interviews that they play this kind of music because it's fun and an excuse to hang out. Sure people are allowed to do that, but don't compare them to people who are actually passionate about music in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese_boy
rip brother

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in a while.

Which part? and present an argument if you disagree.
Sounds like a knee jerk reaction of a fan boy.

Last edited by technicolour : 11-01-2012 at 11:03 PM.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #93
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
I'd imagine, in general it takes longer, and more thought goes in to composing classical music than any derivative of rock. Just think about how long the pieces are, the amount of instruments, the various harmonies and melodies, etc.

Why do you think the music is still appreciated and known by those familiar with music?

There are rules to deathcore: over emphasis on breakdowns, sterile production, complete lack of what defined the genre of death metal.

I should've said as a general rule the more time and therefore effort and thought that goes into a piece the better chance it has of being well put together, but of course there's exceptions.

Besides, these guys (SS) even say in interviews that they play this kind of music because it's fun and an excuse to hang out. Sure people are allowed to do that, but don't compare them to people who are actually passionate about music in itself.

You're not even trying to debate this. I've been through my two harmony classes for my music minor. That's next to nothing compared to a music major but I've been educated enough and done enough harmonic analysis to know that most music is exactly the same. It made me appreciate the older composers much more than I had, which was a lot, but it also made me see that any attempt to define "talent" is bullshit.

Most music we consider "talented" is bland as shit musically and is made of the stuff that's been rehashed for centuries. Don't be so pretentious. I don't even like this band and I couldn't stand it.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #94
Portuguese_boy

Quote:
Which part? and present an argument if you disagree.
Sounds like a knee jerk reaction of a fan boy.

Not a fan boy at all, hate their music with a passion actually. Like the other guy said, who the **** are you to measure someone's talent?
Portuguese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #95
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I don't care for a debate like this, that is, if it's in the band thread or in a thread that it'd fit. A thread about the death of a band member, however, is not that kind of thread.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #96
ErikLensherr
Bаnned

The fact is there is an objective difference between music and noise (that's science, ask a physicist) and deathcore objectively isn't music.
ErikLensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #97
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I don't care for a debate like this, that is, if it's in the band thread or in a thread that it'd fit. A thread about the death of a band member, however, is not that kind of thread.

It was that until had to start being cunts about it.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #98
Dregen
andy, you're a star

what's wrong with making music for fun? or making music with the intention for people to have fun? sometimes I want to listen to something predictable, it entertains me in a different way "serious" music does.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #99
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26

yeah right, there's just too few people in that thread to piss off. why not here?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #100
MiseryMonster
UG's Contract Killer

i liked some of their music . no time to bleed was a really good metal album. other then that im kinda sad

Rate This Thread: