Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
What's wrong with my G string? Sounds awful.

I got my Fender Squire guitar out from storage the other day to use with Rocksmith on my Xbox. It's about 10 years old and i've not used it for the last 8 years.

I fitted some new strings and tuned it up.

The problem is, the G string sounds really really flat. A D chord for instance sounds really weird - nothing like a D chord does on the UG iphone app. By playing each string in a D chord it's the G string that sounds weird. The other strings sound find - just not the G string.

I did a bit of research online and found that intonation might be the cause. Tonight I checked the intonation on the G string by checking the open string tuning vs open harmonic tuning at the 12th fret on the G string - according to the tuner these were both tuned identical and showed a straight line on the tuner - as did all of the other strings actually.

I don't understand what's wrong with the G string.

Any ideas?
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
TJWise89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Your intonation is off.
__________________
Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Randall XL cab w/Vintage 30s
Wampler Euphoria OD
Boss NS-2 Noise Surpressor
MXR 6-band EQ
TJWise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the south
What you compare is the open harmonic with the fretted G on the 12th fret.

http://www.wikihow.com/Intonate-a-Guitar

The open G and the 12th harmonic are the same note. The 12th fret note is what will be off.
__________________
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Air_Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
seljer
UG Resident
 
seljer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyhouse
Tonight I checked the intonation on the G string by checking the open string tuning vs open harmonic tuning at the 12th fret on the G string - according to the tuner these were both tuned identical and showed a straight line on the tuner - as did all of the other strings actually.


The open harmonic is going to be the same as the open string

The fretted note at the 12th fret is what matters when you're checking your intonation
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the south
Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
The open harmonic is going to be the same as the open string

The fretted note at the 12th fret is what matters when you're checking your intonation

10 seconds to late :P
__________________
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Air_Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
seljer
UG Resident
 
seljer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Vengeance
10 seconds to late :P


<insert 19th century villain shaking their fist here>
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ah what an idiot.

Cheers guys I'll go and do it properly.
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I've just tried the intonation again following the link posted above.

What's happening now is that after adjusting the screw it's not making any difference on the tuner i.e. after adjusting the screw, then retuning the open string, then checking the tuning at the 12th fret, the needle on the tuner is at the same place (right on the left).
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
TJWise89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Well I had planned on putting in more input then I did..that's what I get for trying to type on my phone :/
__________________
Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Randall XL cab w/Vintage 30s
Wampler Euphoria OD
Boss NS-2 Noise Surpressor
MXR 6-band EQ
TJWise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the south
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyhouse
I've just tried the intonation again following the link posted above.

What's happening now is that after adjusting the screw it's not making any difference on the tuner i.e. after adjusting the screw, then retuning the open string, then checking the tuning at the 12th fret, the needle on the tuner is at the same place (right on the left).


Hmm? Are you sure the saddle is moving? I cover my trems in Dr. Ducks axe wax to keep them lubed and clean. 8 years is a long time for a guitar to be sitting. Might need removed, a good wd40 soaking over night, cover in lube,not dripping but on all screws and parts. It's not a lot of work but it is work. After that it should be like brand new.

*edit* times like this I wish I could say "bring it on over and let me look at it."

Take your time dude
__________________
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader

Last edited by Air_Vengeance : 11-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Air_Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Vengeance
Hmm? Are you sure the saddle is moving? I cover my trems in Dr. Ducks axe wax to keep them lubed and clean. 8 years is a long time for a guitar to be sitting. Might need removed, a good wd40 soaking over night, cover in lube,not dripping but on all screws and parts. It's not a lot of work but it is work. After that it should be like brand new.

*edit* times like this I wish I could say "bring it on over and let me look at it."

Take your time dude



No I'm not sure the saddle is moving actually. It doesn't seem to be. This would make sense as even after adjusting the screw (either way) the needle on the tuner on the fretted 12th string is in exactly the same position as it was before adjusting the screw.

My buddy is gonna have a look at it next week. Should be able to fix it.
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
seljer
UG Resident
 
seljer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Slovenija
Sometimes you have to loosen up the string. If its tuned up theres too much tension and the friction keeps it stuck


Also, intonate with a fresh set of strings. Old strings can be worn unevenly which makes it impossible to intonate a guitar with them.

Last edited by seljer : 11-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I put new strings on it the other day.
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #14
badboyhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ill have one more go at it. Think I'll loosen the string and set the bridge so that its all the way to the right and then work back gradually towards the headstock. At least this will rule out the bridge from the equation.
badboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.