Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Commisaur

Question Looking for advice on what new guitar I should buy

Hey everyone,

I am having trouble deciding what new guitar to get for myself. So far I have been researching Jackson and Ibanez guitars, but I looked into these two companies based upon the look of their guitars, which is hardly a good way to go about picking one!

My budget is $1,000 -- $1,200 USD

I like playing death/thrash/black metal from the 80's and 90's and hard rock in general as well. Favorite bands: Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Destruction, Sodom, Entombed, Venom, Black Sabbath, Emperor, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sleep, Saint Vitus

In terms of preferences I really want to have a whammy bar, but on the other hand I want to stick with rounded conventional body shaped guitars, in other words no X or V shaped guitars.

I would prefer a new guitar.

My current guitar is a red colored Epiphone SG.

My location is the Bay Area of California.
Commisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commisaur
Hey everyone,

I am having trouble deciding what new guitar to get for myself. So far I have been researching Jackson and Ibanez guitars, but I looked into these two companies based upon the look of their guitars, which is hardly a good way to go about picking one!

My budget is $1,000 -- $1,200 USD

I like playing death/thrash/black metal from the 80's and 90's and hard rock in general as well. Favorite bands: Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Destruction, Sodom, Entombed, Venom, Black Sabbath, Emperor, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sleep, Saint Vitus

In terms of preferences I really want to have a whammy bar, but on the other hand I want to stick with rounded conventional body shaped guitars, in other words no X or V shaped guitars.

I would prefer a new guitar.

My current guitar is a red colored Epiphone SG.

My location is the Bay Area of California.

Even though you look at those two brands in terms of looks, you are on the right road my friend. At that price range, you may not get the perfect guitar for you, but I doubt you'll be any less then happy with the quality and sound of any guitar they make at that range.

This being said, since your more fund of conventional body shapes, how do you feel about SG's? If you do like them, it would only be a plus point that your used to the way it feels, and going for a Gibson SG would make things a lot different. In the good way though.

If I were you, I'd probably stick to something with passive pickups. High-output passive humbuckers should be more then enough for a big range of metal genres, and when you'll want to play some Black Sabbath or Hard Rock stuff, the guitar will still shine just as bright.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
bcolville
6irth 6rind 6ain

You can't go wrong with Jacksons. Check out higher end Dinky's or Soloists.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Check out:

1) Fernandes Guitars: a Dragonfly, Ravelle, or Revolver guitar, in the Elite, Elite Trem, JP, or SHIN series.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/index.php

2) DBZ: Barchetta
http://www.dbzguitars.com/

3) Carvin:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/

4) Godin: RG-2 or Freeway SA
http://godinguitars.com/godinpassionrg2p.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

Check Charvel out too.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

definitely check out a 1000 series LTD. they have good pickups and better than average trem units in them. they're pretty much as ubiquitous in the metal world as jacksons and Ibanez's.

I know you said you'd prefer new, but you could also easily find a used ESP horizon for that sort of money. They're very good guitars and generally have very nice pickups and trems.

you could also check out the godin redline series. the EMG's pickups in some might be overkill, but they're pretty good guitars overall. the necks are absolutely amazing.

also take a look at the new Schecter SLS's. they have fairly thin necks (not too far from Ibanez territory), and they are available with either active or passive pickups. Like the 1000 series LTD's (which are very closely related), they also feature a 1000 series FR trem, which is a major upgrade from most licensed FR units.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
definitely check out a 1000 series LTD. they have good pickups and better than average trem units in them. they're pretty much as ubiquitous in the metal world as jacksons and Ibanez's.

I know you said you'd prefer new, but you could also easily find a used ESP horizon for that sort of money. They're very good guitars and generally have very nice pickups and trems.

you could also check out the godin redline series. the EMG's pickups in some might be overkill, but they're pretty good guitars overall. the necks are absolutely amazing.

also take a look at the new Schecter SLS's. they have fairly thin necks (not too far from Ibanez territory), and they are available with either active or passive pickups. Like the 1000 series LTD's (which are very closely related), they also feature a 1000 series FR trem, which is a major upgrade from most licensed FR units.

I agree with this advice, LTD and ESP guitars are great! You can't go wrong with the 1000 series LTDs, plus you could say quite a bit o $. Check out the H-1001 FR or the M1000. You could also get an EC1000 with a trem if you like LP shapes.
MonsterMetalMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Few brands are as closely associated with metal as ESP & LTD.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Few brands are as closely associated with copying everybody else's guitar designs as much as ESP & LTD.

FTFY.

That's not to say they're objectively bad guitars, i just don't like them because every single guitar they make blatantly copies another brand. They haven't done a single original guitar design.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Originality in industrial design can be overrated. See BC Rich. Wait...see Minarik.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Rate This Thread: