Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Smiley1311

Bla-bla-bla G&L vs Gibson Les Paul - Dual Humbuckers

I have a musical background and studied piano to Grade 10 level Royal Conservatory when I was younger. I recently took up the electric guitar and have had 2 months of lessons. I have an Ibanez RG with dual humbucker and single coil in centre and Floyd Rose bridge. I don`t like the Floyd Rose bridge - it goes out of tune and when I put my hand near the bridge it moves.

I am looking to buy a new guitar and because of my music background, I have a well trained ear and am looking to spend $1,000 to $2,000 on a new guitar of good quality. I will be playing anything from BTO, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Greenday, Dio, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Poison to Metallica. (Rock & Metal) I am leaning towards 3 different brands or models with a dual humbucker and a fixed bridge (not a Floyd Rose):

1. G&L - Either Invader XL or ASAT Deluxe. I was only able to try a Legacy Deluxe and I loved how it felt in my hands - Felt solid and comfortable. I have yet to try an Invader or ASAT Deluxe and hope to try one soon.

2. Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard - Compared to PRS, BC Rich, Epiphone, Ibanez, the Gibson Les Paul USA Made felt better and has a better sound.

3. Possibly but not really top on my list - Music Man - not sure which model. Felt very comfortable to play.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons why one guitar is better than the other. Thanks for your help.
Smiley1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
lemurflames
Resu Deretsiger

You'll have to try all of them for yourself and decide.

ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
ProTone DeadHorse OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a cruel man.

lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Roc8995

The dual humbuckers and fixed bridges are about where the similarities end with those guitars. Unfortunately the only advice I can give is that after two months of lessons you're probably not going to know what you want to sound like yet. I'd start with something cheaper that you can learn on, or at least get a used one that you can resell without losing much money. Chances are that you'll go through a few guitars in the next few years as you find your tone.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
TunerAddict
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The dual humbuckers and fixed bridges are about where the similarities end with those guitars. Unfortunately the only advice I can give is that after two months of lessons you're probably not going to know what you want to sound like yet. I'd start with something cheaper that you can learn on, or at least get a used one that you can resell without losing much money. Chances are that you'll go through a few guitars in the next few years as you find your tone.

Do we ever figure out what we want to sound like?
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict

Angus Young has.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict

I can't speak for everyone but I think most people have a much better idea of what they like tonally after a few years of playing than they did in their first two months.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

All that truth aside...

Check out:

1) Jon Kammerer, a Chicago area luthier. You'll have to look on Facebook, his website was killed by malware. His standard models start at $995; his full customs start at $2000.

2) Carvin, a company with extremely customizable designs. High quality.

3) US Masters, like Carvin, a maker with a wide variety of customizable designs of high quality.

4) Godin- similar to G&L, but made in Canada. Great quality for money.

5) ...brands like Fernandes (esp. the JP and SHIN lines), Dean Zelinsky's Private Label, Bowes, Siggery...the list goes on.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-01-2012 at 11:59 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

what kind of amps are you considering?

can you play loud where you live?

what is your budget for the amp?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: