Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Runty_WHALE

Thumbs up Dire need of HELP!!!!

Dire need of HELP!!!! I need HELP

I've been playing for 2 years. I feel i reach a plateau effect. NO PROGRESS, NOTHING

i feel like i work on stuff that has open chords..

What should i work on in intermediate? tips, guidance. Much Appreciated!!!

Last edited by Runty_WHALE : 11-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Runty_WHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

What do you know?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
macashmack
Maskcashmack

You've been playing for 2 years and have only used the open chords? Do some bar chords.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Runty_WHALE

no i haven't done only open chords. mostly working on songs with it. like songs to sing with like city and colour.

i know a bit of penatonic not much just going up and down the scale. finding a couple blues licks here and there.

Relaxing is what i should do its just i feel im not going to progress. Music Theory?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Hail
kill both bass players

do you learn your music by tab?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
HotspurJr

Have you taken lessons?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

you're not progressing because you're not introducing any new material into your routine.

it doesn't matter where you go from a plateau - 99% of the time, any step is a step in the right direction.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty_WHALE
Dire need of HELP!!!! I need HELP

I've been playing for 2 years. I feel i reach a plateau effect. NO PROGRESS, NOTHING

i feel like i work on stuff that has open chords..

What should i work on in intermediate? tips, guidance. Much Appreciated!!!

What's your current practice routine? And how long do you practice in each session? And how many days a week do you practice?
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
metalmetalhead
Panterica

jam to backing tracks, learn a new song the hard way, by ear. Write and record some stuff..get rocksmith Its great for someone thats only been playing a few years.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Runty_WHALE

my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember. What new material should i intro duce? and yeah i read tabs.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember.

then your technique and knowledge will be limited to those random songs and how fastidiously you practice and learn them

Quote:
What new material should i intro duce?

you should always be listening to (and learning) new music - not just new music within your comfort zone, but in genres that challenge your listening ability, even if it's just a switch from classic rock to prog rock or something.

Quote:
and yeah i read tabs.

transcribe and learn your music by ear. this is a huge pain at first, but it's easily the most effective way to train your ear in a practical setting. all the theory in the world won't help you without a good ear.

this goes back to learning new material - after you've learned a handful of songs (by ear) accurately and cleanly, you can start listening to music "actively" rather than passively, where you can pick out little details of the song without even realizing you're doing it.

this skill will help you immensely as well, because all the music you listen to will work alongside music you know how to play, instead of them being separate entities. it helps your music appreciation as well as your writing and playing, and it's hard to hit a plateau when you can appreciate and understand new music to listen to, and by extension, learn.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
ibanez1511

sightreading ?

here are some key guitar styles to explore:

Classical
Acoustic
Bass
Electric
Jazz
Blues
Rock
and Metal.
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez1511
sightreading ?

here are some key guitar styles to explore:

Classical
Acoustic
Bass
Electric
Jazz
Blues
Rock
and Metal.

the best material, to me, is music outside of the realm of guitar. exploring vocal phrasing, horn instruments, electronic music, rap/hip-hop and the role of other instruments you plan on composing for (such as drums in any of these environments)

granted it took me years before i could listen to anything outside of my group of genres, but once you've reached a level where you can appreciate music based on its merit rather than stylistic or aesthetic differences, you can really explore new ways of voicing or phrasing music you write on your instrument of choice rather than being limited to the physical or stylistic inclinations of genres associated with the instrument.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember. What new material should i intro duce? and yeah i read tabs.

Make a start on learning the fretboard.
Learn the major and minor scales.
Get a bit more organised about which songs you learn.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

What I had been doing before I started taking lessons was just playing songs. But I played them by ear and if I wanted a tab, I made my own tab (I have been playing trumpet for a long time so starting a new instrument was very easy to me). Now I also play some technical exercises. But really, play your favorite songs. Also join a band or just jam with your friends. If some of your friends play an instrument just start jamming. You don't need to be that skilled. Playing together is always fun, even if you played "Smoke on the Water" all the time.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:

Do you enjoy it? Do you enjoy playing guitar? Cuz if there's no motivation there then, well...

Answer honestly.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Runty_WHALE

Thanks so Much! It must be difficult learning songs by tab. I guess i should train my ears that way. That goes for any song? or should i start off with the very basic songs. I have a friend that finds tabs by ear, and hes amazing at improvising and coming up with new songs. Btw is Drop D an easy way to explore and mess around to make new songs?

- Your feedback is much appreciated!!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Runty_WHALE

of course! i love it. The thing is im a stubborn, messy player. Sometimes i get too excited on different songs i learn only the intros and get caught up with another or get too stubborn and cant think i can do it.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Runty_WHALE

Whoah learning more than one instrument, talent my friend. I try coming up with my own tabs, their a bit simplistic but at least its something. Do i just keep messing around until i stumble upon something good? Patience is defiantly a must hah
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Runty_WHALE

Like learning where is F# and C# and all those? I know minor pentatonic, the little box scale. Whats the difference between a Major and Minor? (i know a noob beginner question ha) By organized the songs i learn i do what exaxtly? maybe write them down in a book?

Rate This Thread: