Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
darkunknown88

Buying Advice. Plz Help!

Hi all!

I am looking forward to but a new guitar especially for playing metal. This is the first time I'm buying a good guitar so I require some help

My primary chioce would be one of these two guitars:
1. Jackson DK2 Dinky
2. Ibanez S570B

Also, another one, abeit cheaper, has caught my attention: Ibanez RGD 420
If this will do the job fine, I don't want to go for something more expensive at the moment.

Two main characteristics I want are:
1. Good sound (Will be playing newer metal stuff like A7X, BFMV, Trivium, All that remains, etc.)
2. Durablity

Any other sugessions other than the above mentioned guitars are welcome.

Note: None of the guitars are available at any local shops to try them out, so I'm completely relying on advice and suggestions

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by darkunknown88 : 12-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
darkunknown88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Heideck

I presently own an old jackson dinky and they are great guitars. The Ibanez S is also very good, but the feeling of the neck is different, the feeling of the trem too. If you down tune a lot, the RGD can be nice, but if you are more in standard or not lower than drop C sharp tuning, I would recommend The jackson or the Ibanez. You should go try both and take the one one love the most. I can say one is way better than the other, they are just different but i do prefer the Duncan Designed to the Infinity. Two good guitars

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
darkunknown88

Thanks for the reply

I'm also a bit inclined towards the DK2 because of the Humbucking pickup for the bridge.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The RGD is an extended-scale guitar. It's the sort of thing you'll either absolutely love and can't live without, or utterly hate; it's not something you buy unless you know what you're getting into. If this is the first time you're buying a ''metal'' guitar, ignore it.

The DK2 Dinky has been discontinued and replaced by the DK2M Pro Series. That's a significantly nicer, but also more expensive, guitar. If you can afford it and if you can't try anything out before you buy, this would be the safest bet.
The S570B is a considerably cheaper build, but the fact that it has a slightly thicker body might sway it for you if you fancy a slightly thicker tone. The difference will be minimal, though, and you can bet it won't be as nice as the DK2M.

Before going on any further, I think it's important to say that "good sound" is entirely subjective and not something that can be quantified by anybody other than yourself. Besides which, tone is most dependant of your amp, not the guitar.
Durability is also irrelevant, as any guitar can develop any number of faults or break if it is treated poorly, while any guitar can also last for decades if it is taken care of.

I suggest you think about what it is exactly you want—woods, scale length, pickup style, bridge style, looks, etc—and explain in more detail, because right now you seem to be guessing at two generic super-Strats for no particular reason, and it's hard to offer useful advice without knowing specifically what kind of thing you're looking for, eactly how you play and what the rest of your rig is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkunknown88
Thanks for the reply

I'm also a bit inclined towards the DK2 because of the Humbucking pickup for the bridge.
All three guitars you listed have bridge humbuckers.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

What kind of amp have you got? Having an amp geared for metal will provide a lot of your tone and sound. Amp makes up a lot of your sound, you won't be nearly as heavy on a Mustang II as you will be on a 6505.

In the selections you listed, I'd lean towards the Jackson, mostly because I love SD pickups.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
darkunknown88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The DK2 Dinky has been discontinued and replaced by the DK2M Pro Series. That's a significantly nicer, but also more expensive, guitar. If you can afford it and if you can't try anything out before you buy, this would be the safest bet.
The S570B is a considerably cheaper build, but the fact that it has a slightly thicker body might sway it for you if you fancy a slightly thicker tone. The difference will be minimal, though, and you can bet it won't be as nice as the DK2M.

The DK2M pro isnt available in any online stores in my country, however the basic DK2M and DK2 dinky are available.

If there is a similar guitar to DK2/DK2M, please advice.

Last edited by darkunknown88 : 12-17-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Heideck

Some old jackson Dinky DK2 are pretty bad ass, do you know from which year is the one you are considering to buy?

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
darkunknown88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
Some old jackson Dinky DK2 are pretty bad ass, do you know from which year is the one you are considering to buy?

I have no idea......it isn't mentioned anywhere. Link below:

http://www.saptaswara.in/product-de...dk2-dinky/3/519

BTW I was thinking to get the Ibnz Rg 2610Z; seymour duncan pickups and excellent build quality, but the absence of a neck pickup turned me off (although I will be rarely using neck pickup but still ).

I'm am aware that the DK2 is a bit old now, but it seems that I don't have much of a choice If there is something similar to the DK2 from Jackson, Ibanez, Scheter etc. please let me know. Should have a Floyd Rose type bridge (or something similar) and preferabley Seymour Duncan / EMG 81,85 pickup.

Last edited by darkunknown88 : 12-17-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Rate This Thread: