Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
MyOwnVirus
Zombie

Guitar Pickups very quiet with rumbling noise.

So about a year ago I decided to install EMG 81/85 pickups into my Schecter Omen-6 Guitar. I paid to have someone do it (2 days before going into studio to record with my band) and got it back the day of recording only to find out that it didn't sound right. When I opened the back, I found a lot of masking tape (not even electrical tape?) and a mess of wires. That day I ended up having to use my Fender Jag for all the songs (which, as nice of a guitar, wasn't ideal for some heavier songs that needed humbuckers). Anyway, since then I've tried many times to fix it. For a while it didn't work at all, so I downloaded the PDF wiring diagrams for both the Omen 6 and the EMG's.

I have since got it back working, and sounding relatively okay. Though not exactly like what they should. I notices that when I switch between guitars (not changing any amp or pedal settings), that it's a lot more quiet than my other guitars. Also, moving the tone or volume knobs and pickup selector switch makes a lot of popping sounds. They also constantly create a slight rumbling/humming noise.

At first, I thought it might be the battery, being the problem of the quiet pickups. But then I realized that without the battery in it. The rumbling/huumming is gone, but they're still quiet. Even brand new batteries don't make them louder.

I've spent a lot of time re-soldering the joints and they appear to be done all-right.

Another thing I noticed is in the EMG diagrams, they show a "Battery Buss" terminal where 3 red wires join. In my guitar these 3 wires join together and are wrapped together at the raw wire, and then taped with special electrical tape (this was done by my neighbour who's an electrician...before he did this, they didn't work at all).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what my problem might be? Is is that I'm missing the buss? Or is it wiring? OR maybe something else?

Thanks,

Kieran

Guitars:
~62' Re-Issue Fender Jaguar
~Schecter Omen 6 w/EMG 81,85 Pick-ups.
Amp:
~Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Effects:
~BOSS; SD-2, DT-2.
Studio:
~15" Mac Pro
~Pro Tools 9/M-Box2
~Oxygen 8 MIDI Keyboard
MyOwnVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
halfj06

You sure the guy who half assed it changed the pots?
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
MyOwnVirus
Zombie

I was actually thinking that. Because the "T" on the back of what should be the tone control is actually the volume. But I'm not sure. He was a huge idiot (and he's actually an AMAZING guitar player who's like 50 years old, owns his own guitar shop, and everything!). But masking tape instead of soldering some joints? He said he was "Rushed" (I gave him 3 Nights, 2 full days, and then the following morning before recording when I picked it up...Gave him it Fri night, picked it up Monday morning). What should I do?

Guitars:
Amp:
~Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Effects:
~BOSS; SD-2, DT-2.
Studio:
~15" Mac Pro
~Pro Tools 9/M-Box2
~Oxygen 8 MIDI Keyboard
Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
halfj06

Hm that does suck.. I think on the back of pots usually have its resistance value.. your guitar would have had 500k and the emgs need 1meg I believe. Its too bad you don't have the solderless system to make it easy

Last edited by halfj06 : 12-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
MyOwnVirus
Zombie

If I bought the solderless wires pack from EMG would they work with my pickups or do the pickups have to be specifically new solderless ones too?

Guitars:
Amp:
~Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Effects:
~BOSS; SD-2, DT-2.
Studio:
~15" Mac Pro
~Pro Tools 9/M-Box2
~Oxygen 8 MIDI Keyboard