Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

NGD! MIJ content (plus i need some recommendations)

So let's start off with a couple guesses, hey?

First clue...

Any guesses? Well maybe this might help:

That should narrow it down a bit. If you still cant guess, here's a few more:

If you still dont know after that, you probably dont know Fender very well lol. It's a Fender Jaguar HH Special!

Made in Japan in Oct. 2000, the Fender Jaguar HH Special was at the top of my list for guitars and GAS in general. The previous owner swapped out the oem Dragster pickups for some GFS Retrotron Nashvilles, and that's possibly my only real gripe with it. They aren't nearly hot enough, and on the rhythm circuit they sound like total mud. The bridge handles overdrive pretty well, but anywhere else is just not doing it for me. The neck is lovely, i am absolutely in love with the short scale. Certain techniques (Sweeping especially) got a whole lot easier, and everything being closer together makes it super easy to play and chording is a dream on this thing. The neck is a little bit sticky, i do plan on getting rid of some of the ridiculous amount of gloss or lacquer or whatever it is they stuck on it.

Pros: stupidly comfortable and natural to play for me, fretboard is delicious, feels like a good solid hunk of well put together wood (cos it is lol), TOM bridge is a HUGE boon for me, short 24" scale makes me wonder wtf ive been doing with 25.5 this whole time, looks awesome, a ton of modding potential, unique guitar, separate rhythm/lead circuits are a nifty feature that im still getting used to but definitely like, the tone/volume pots are nice and responsive although they drop a lot of bass out of the sound very quickly.

Cons: Stock tuners are far, far too sensitive for my liking, GFS Retrotron pickups are a terrible match for this guitar, rhythm circuit may not be used as much due to sounding outright muddy compared to the lead circuit

Overall: this guitar doesnt nail the sound i want, but boy does it nail the playability. Instantly comfortable in my hands, this is the feel i've been looking for for a long time and i dont plan on getting rid of this axe, possibly ever. Needs a bit of a fretboard oiling, but after that it should be Goldilocks *just right*.

Plans for this guitar: 1st, asap, im going to change the pickups to something hotter. Ive settled on a Dimarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge, and i cant decide between a Seymour Jazz in the neck or a PAF or something--im absolutely open to suggestions there. Second, im going to buy an LR Baggs T-Bridge piezo tuneomatic bridge, probably with a Control-X preamp at the same time and wire the rhythm tone wheel thing to control that. Third, after hearing what all of this sounds like on both rhythm and lead circuits, i would like to rewire the bass cut switch (nearly useless anyways) to be a coil splitter to maximize the potential of the Crunch Lab and whatever goes in the neck. Once it's all done i'll have one of the most unique guitars around, and hopefully one of the best sounding!
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Last edited by Acϵ♠ : 11-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

More pics!

Bitches be Crazy.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Elderer
Banned

HNGD!

The nut looks damaged or something...
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Imho, the Liquifire is the best sounding neck pickup on the market. Very clean. "creamy", too.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Imho, the Liquifire is the best sounding neck pickup on the market. Very clean. "creamy", too.

Yeah that's an option too, but i use the neck mostly for cleaner sounds and very light gain so i want something that's a little clearer and janglier than a Liquifire.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

I've been wanting one of these for a bit.

While the pickups might sound shitty, at least they look boss.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
SteveHOC
Used Register

Weird, I bought one of these this week as well, mine is a MIJ 1995, but it was mint and rather inexpensive ($440 with a hard case, I was pretty happy about that). HNGD! Mine is totally stock, and the pickups are definitely lower output even stock, but they suit my needs well enough for now. So, are you hating the bridge already then? I'm finding the typical "buzz" with 10's, but that may be easy enough to fix with a file and a bit of free time.
Anyway, sweet guitar, enjoy!!!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

Also, definitely too bad the pickups aren't to your liking, they really do look slick with that guitar!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I know, with the chrome rings they look seriously yummy. A shame, because the Crunch Lab is so boring looking. I would probably get the new pickups in white though, or just get a chrome cover since i really dig the chrome rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Weird, I bought one of these this week as well, mine is a MIJ 1995, but it was mint and rather inexpensive ($440 with a hard case, I was pretty happy about that). HNGD! Mine is totally stock, and the pickups are definitely lower output even stock, but they suit my needs well enough for now. So, are you hating the bridge already then? I'm finding the typical "buzz" with 10's, but that may be easy enough to fix with a file and a bit of free time.
Anyway, sweet guitar, enjoy!!!

Hating the bridge? Not at all! My bridge preference is tuneomatic, the piezo is a separate pickup to get an acoustic sound, but it looks and functions as a TOM

Also i want to change all the chrome to gold hardware to match the headstock lettering.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
supersac

sweet jesus that thing is sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
gucio93
>_>

That looks rad man! Congrats!
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
gucio93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Those pups are really low. Try raising them, that should give you some more output.

Also my OCD is demanding that you correctly orientate the bridge pup. It's upside down -_-

HNGD! Looks neat.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ah, I knew what the piezo was, but I was referring to the rattle this particular model of Jag seems to get from the TOM style bridge. I keep seeing people swap them out for other styles (Mustang mainly), so I was curious if you we're doing a whole overhaul with the bridge as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I swear on my future grave and the graves of my future kids i will never put a mustang bridge on. I despise the jag and mustang trem bridges. The only trem bridge ive ever like is a wilkinson-style two point fulcrum bridge. Even then, id rather do without the hassle.

Also, the pickups arent that low. The bridge is about 1.5mm from the strings, the neck about 2mm. I already fiddled around with all that, the Retrotrons dont change sound or get "hotter" per se, they just force my amp to break up way sooner which i dont like.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Ippon
Amped

Nice!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
SteveHOC
Used Register

Agreed, I wouldn't do it either. Just file it if you run into that issue, as I am.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
DanTheHobbit
Possible Homer Sexual

[ShaoKahnVoice] Superb. [/ShaoKahnVoice] Seriously. HNGD x 1,000
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Plans for this guitar: 1st, asap, im going to change the pickups to something hotter. Ive settled on a Dimarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge, and i cant decide between a Seymour Jazz in the neck or a PAF or something--im absolutely open to suggestions there. Second, im going to buy an LR Baggs T-Bridge piezo tuneomatic bridge, probably with a Control-X preamp at the same time and wire the rhythm tone wheel thing to control that. Third, after hearing what all of this sounds like on both rhythm and lead circuits, i would like to rewire the bass cut switch (nearly useless anyways) to be a coil splitter to maximize the potential of the Crunch Lab and whatever goes in the neck. Once it's all done i'll have one of the most unique guitars around, and hopefully one of the best sounding!

What kind of sound are you aiming for?

I can think of a few nifty humbuckers and humbucker-sized P-90s...

For example, I just got a Fernandes Ravelle Elite, and the (stock) Seymour Duncan SH-4JB in it is a bit hotter than most of the SDs I have in my other guitars that have SDs.

OTOH, I'm putting a Bareknuckle Stockholm P-90 in the bridge of an old Dean Special Select EVO (and a Bareknuckle Rebel Yell in the bridge, FWIW).

And a HSS custom guitar I'm having built will be using a Tesla VR-Extreme..

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!

congrats! don't let the look of pups set you off, make it sound good and rock it.

(agreed on raising the pups a bit)

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
KrymsinViking

I always love to see jag or mustang players because it means there are more pretty guitars out here for everyone else.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: