Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
SickFak

Good processors? UPDATE

Hey folks,

Thinking about getting a new good processor for playing at home. Right now I have ZOOM g2nu and it just doesn't cut it for me you know? It's just... I don't know... not good enough Don't know how to explain, but it's kinda missing something.

I'd play through Spider II HD75 & some Ibanez cabinet (don't know the model) if and when I get to play in day time or mostly through headphones at night, due to work schedules.

Could you kind folks recommend something? Of course It doesn't have to be another zoom... actually preferably not another zoom, but if there is a zoom that is not as crappy as g2nu, then why not... Price range could be up to 300 euro I guess.

Last edited by SickFak : 12-04-2012 at 03:16 PM.
SickFak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Don't think your "processor" is the problem, bud.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
SickFak

What do you mean?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Your amp is your limiter. Anything going in, no matter how high quality, is being processed by the spider. Which, well, is missing SOMETHING. Quite a lot of somethings. Now, I'm not here to hate on the spider. It's a decent enough practice amp but you could run my lexicon through that and make it sound like a toy.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
lemurflames
Ronnie

What you need is a new amp.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
SickFak

I see... Well I also play with just headphones (no spider) and it's still missing something. I also tried connecting it to fender G-dec, and that wasn't a good idea considering it also has "processor" of its own I guess. Hum and noise is all I got out of it.
What would you suggest then? What would go well with processor? And what kind of Amp?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFak
I see... Well I also play with just headphones (no spider) and it's still missing something. I also tried connecting it to fender G-dec, and that wasn't a good idea considering it also has "processor" of its own I guess. Hum and noise is all I got out of it.
What would you suggest then? What would go well with processor? And what kind of Amp?

What kind of headphones are you using? Crappy headphones are kinda the same deal as a cheap amp, they leave something to be desired. It's less noticeable in well produced music but it's OBVIOUS in amplification of keyboards/guitars/etc.

What do you use the processor for? Are you an effect heavy kinda guy?

Like, the spider is a fine practice amp, I don't think you NEED to buy a new amp. However, if you're looking for MORE, an upgraded amp is a good way to go.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
SickFak

I use AKG Headphones that cost me 90euros a few years back. I did think about getting more fitting headphones for this (any suggestions?).

I use the processor to create a couple of tones, usually a set of Acoustic - Clean - distorted lead tone (for soloing and hard rock, think iron maiden, judas priest, that kinda stuff) - Heavy distortion (for thrash, death, black).. I don't use all the fancy effects it has. They're quite frankly useless for me. That's why I never use presets. Getting clean tones and lead tones isn't a problem. But getting that nice sexy heavy distorted tones for proper thrash-black-melodeth is definitely a problem. So I guess I do need new amp for this???

I only play at home so it isn't solely "practicing" for me if you know what I mean...
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Hmm, AKG makes some pretty quality headphones. My tracking headphones are Sennheisers but I use my AKGs as a mix reference.

So what do you use the spider for then? Just amplification? Because you could pull all of this off with a decent amplifier. Thankfully there are a lot of small, low wattage, high quality amps on the market for pretty cheap.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
SickFak

I use spider solely for the purpose of getting the sound out of zoom "in to the open" so to speak, when playing in day time with no need for headphones, so I guess yes?

I did get small, low wattage, and as I thought high quality amp Fender G-dec 30w, but as turned out, it has awesome tuner, great for clean and low dist, but can't crank out decent distortion... basically it can get loud, but distortion still weak.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFak
I use spider solely for the purpose of getting the sound out of zoom "in to the open" so to speak, when playing in day time with no need for headphones, so I guess yes?

I did get small, low wattage, and as I thought high quality amp Fender G-dec 30w, but as turned out, it has awesome tuner, great for clean and low dist, but can't crank out decent distortion... basically it can get loud, but distortion still weak.

Yeah so you could benefit from an amp which simultaneously serves the purpose of both your zoom and spider and does each one's part better.

The G-dec is, once again, a decent practice amp but that's about it. It's also a Fender, E.G not a distortion monster.

If you want to stick to modeling type stuff, Yamaha just came out with an amp called the THR10. It's SICK. Definitely not meant to be a performance amp, more of a practice and recording one but it sounds KILLER. Some blackstar amps are a little outside of your budget but they do great distortion. You might need a booster to do thrash, however.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you're actually using an amp for amplification, you may want to consider selling all your gear and just getting a Peavey Vypyr Tube, or even a Line 6 Flextone II. Killing 2 birds with one stone, basically.

Either of these amps will slay your Zoom, Spider and Fender. Combined.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
SickFak

Thanks guys for the brainstorming. Fiddled with zoom and fender a bit, some "decent" results when managed to "kill" all fender's effects and distortion. Couldn't do that first time I tried, weird, honestly how stupid am I? I blame awfully uncomfortable layout and interface. Was waaay easier after connecting to PC. Tomorrow gonna fiddle a bit more when I have time, maybe I'll get somewhere.

I'll definitely check out amps you guys suggested. As for price range it was for processor as I was reluctant to spend more on processor. If I'll be getting an amp, I'll gladly spend up to 400 if it's worth it.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

If you just want something to plug headphones into a zoom g3 would be a good idea. They sound amazing through headphones and changed my opinion of amp modeling for the better. They're cheap too!
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
SickFak

Hey there folks. So I ended up getting blackstar HT-5R tubecombo. As mentioned before I also have zoom g2nu... not sure how best to hook it up, right now I hooked it into effect loop and use it as noise gate, equilaizer, chorus, reverb, delay. My understanding is that if I want to use it as a booster, compressor or overdrive, I'd need to hook it up before pre-amp old fashion way (guitar>zoom>HT-5R), but I rather use the amp not just as a "make it loud"... um... thing. Can't hook it up into the effect loop and guitar input at the same time in other words.

So I was thinking of getting a few pedals maybe. What I'd like to ask now, is what gear (pedals etc.) you think would be good to get. Booster, dist., compressor pedals? What kind? Or some processor-like-thingy? And how should I hook it all up. What I want is to be able to swith clean and dist. with ease (with current set up, I need to switch amps channels and zooms, that's two buttons to push :/), and maybe between lead and rhytm (if possible)...

Rate This Thread: