User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #41
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #42
lightdark

And what I was saying that Aeolian wolf didn't understand was if your just playing a modal scale that shares the same notes as a tonal root(tonic) but doesn't resolve to the modal note like say your playing in an E phrygian shape, but you just resolve to A, then why not just say that your soloing in A Aeolian or A minor or whatever you want to call it at this point?

Last edited by lightdark : 11-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
lightdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #43
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark
And what I was saying that Aeolian wolf didn't understand was if your just playing a modal scale that shares the same notes as a tonal root(tonic) but doesn't resolve to the modal note like say your playing in an E phrygian shape, but you just resolve to A, then why not just say that your soloing in A Aeolian or A minor or whatever you want to call it at this point?

...you're going to tell me what i don't understand? you can't even differentiate between a mode and a key.

i can't answer that question for you, because you don't have enough experience using real, tried-and-true functional harmony for the answer to be of any use to you. the short answer is that you're playing in a key - if you're thinking in terms of modes, i'm willing to be that you have extremely little to know knowledge of the progression and development of tonality since the baroque era. frankly, if this is how you internalize your music, i'm fairly confident that your experience extends only to knowing some scale shapes on the guitar neck. do you have any experience listening to and studying music from the common practice period to modern-day styles? if so, are you going to tell me that mozart wrote his pieces in the ionian and aeolian modes, rather than major and minor keys? ultimately, you have a lot more to learn.

i hope you won't take any of what i said as a personal attack, and that you'll take it for what it is - an objective assessment of your situation.

but this is MT, and i know very well not to assume.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #45
will42
UG's bassoon-master

That feel when you actually do need to use the modes, because Palestrina style modal chorale writing is part of your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
Captaincranky

TS, just buy a f***ing sitar. The moveable frets should keep you entertained for decades to come, generating new scales, new modes, and new arguments over what to call them.....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-04-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #47
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by will42
That feel when you actually do need to use the modes, because Palestrina style modal chorale writing is part of your homework.

that mess is awesome.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #48
lightdark

Quote:
...you're going to tell me what i don't understand? you can't even differentiate between a mode and a key.

I wasn't trying to say that you didn't understand the theory behind it, I was trying to say you didn't understand the question the way I was asking it. Sorry.
lightdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
Hail
kill both bass players

now you're going to tell him he doesn't understand what he doesn't understand?!
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
now you're going to tell him he doesn't understand what he doesn't understand?!

...i'm getting out of here

somewhere there are baby foxes that need to be fed

Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #51
Xter
Plays Guitar Way To Much

Quote:
...i'm getting out of here

somewhere there are baby foxes that need to be fed

Let the foxes die, it's part of nature. The more you meddle with nature, the more aggronace of mankind builds up. Screw the polar bears, and the penguins. 95% of the animals that have been here at extinct. Just "gone", whisked away!

And don't say "Save the Planet man!" That the biggest arrogance of mankind. How can we save the planet when we can't care for each other? The planet has endured a lot worse then us. We have only been engaged in heavy industry for 200 years and we think we're a threat? Ask those people in Pompai frozen in place if they feel they're a "threat" to the planet this week. Christ, they build a city next to a volcano and wonder why there's molten lava in the livingroom!

The planet is fine! The planet is fine... Now the people. The people are screwed. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of flees. *Shakes* All that will be left when we're gone is some rubble and plastic. Maybe that's the answer to our age long philospohical question, "Why are we here?".... "Plastic!... Plastic Assholes!" Maybe the planet just let us here to make it plastic because it couldn't make it itself. And plastic comes from the planet so it probably just views it as another one of it's children.

Yes long off topic rant. Maybe we'll learn to just shake this Mode thing off like a bad case of flees, just like the planet will one day shake us off. Just a thought, throwing some seeds out there, maybe they'll take root, maybe not?
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Xter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #52
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark
I wasn't trying to say that you didn't understand the theory behind it, I was trying to say you didn't understand the question the way I was asking it. Sorry.

It is impossible to understand the question because the theory within the question is flawed anyway.

I think it's time for you to go back time basics. It's not your fault, it's the internet's fault, there's a lot of crap out there. Even UG has been pumping out a ridiculous amount of fused mode articles just to confuse people further.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #53
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Even UG has been pumping out a ridiculous amount of fused mode articles just to confuse people further.

In other words, all this shit is a waste of time. No one here has described modes properly.

20 Tigers can also do with removing the link from his sig. No good.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xter
Let the foxes die, it's part of nature.
That's thoughtless and cruel! Did you know the the Russians in Siberia have been breeding foxes for the past 50 years as a behavioral experiment? That ones that have been bred with the most docile characteristics, are now practically tame enough to be kept as pets.....Shame on you..!

A video:

And the Google search page on the topic: https://www.google.com/search?clien...1.Tzj ZpXNRupk

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #55
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimpsed.AM
I appreciate all the replies, and I already know that my knowledge of theory has a lot of flaws, because I've only started learning theory recently. I've noticed that I started a habit of asking questions regarding things that are too advanced for my understanding, simply because of curiosity. I figured I'd ask anyway though, because maybe when I got around to learning more advanced stuff, that I would be able to recall this later on and things would become a bit more clear.
I wouldn't necessarily call modes "more advanced concepts" that you will just get to later. They're just not as relevant as you think they are. You will benefit much more from a solid understanding of chord construction.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #56
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Dont take it too personally TS- the misinformation all over these boards probably led you to start a new thread in the first place, and you asked the best you knew how. Follow the advice of the people who have reasonable high post counts and you'll be on the right track
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #57
Hail
kill both bass players

thanks, captaincranky. i'm officially pro fox-murder because i hate you

i hope you're happy, i was gonna sleep tonight but instead i'm gonna be going rambo in the woods snapping some fuckin fox necks
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: