Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Slayer127

Original Djent Instrumental - Deviance

The link:

Thanks, all feedback appreciated.
Slayer127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Kyleisthename

Okay, going to type while I listen.

Starting off, it sound like every generic "djent" song I've heard. I'm hoping that there is more creativeness other than copying what everyone else is doing.

:40, So far not really digging this track. Still sticking to the same djent formula I've heard all over youtube. Chromatics just don't seem to work well here.

1:06 still just seems like it is egging on the standard formula. Chugging riffs and dissonant clean guitar to add atmosphere.

1:22 seems like it should of been more built apon instead of being used to going into another chugging riff.

1:54 seemed like it should of been longer but after that where it go into the chorus was very enjoyable. I really like that part.

The jam part after with the solo was pretty solid but I'd work on your lead playing a little more.

3:05 wasn't very smooth, just seemed out of time with the previous riff.

3:17 back into chugging and clean guitar........

same with after that.

It seems like you just took what you have heard and tried to recreate it exactly. Frankly put, I was pretty bored the entire time I was listening to the track. A couple things that you might want to keep in mind.

1. Work on the video sync, it gets confusing and makes the video hard to watch.
2. Try adding your own style to your songs.
3. If you plan on making more videos in the future, invest in a better camera.
4. Use something else other than the standard sounds on your programmed drums.

Overall, a boring and uninspired track.
I don't like to be so harsh but I've heard this same style beaten to death.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
Okay, going to type while I listen.

Starting off, it sound like every generic "djent" song I've heard. I'm hoping that there is more creativeness other than copying what everyone else is doing.

:40, So far not really digging this track. Still sticking to the same djent formula I've heard all over youtube. Chromatics just don't seem to work well here.

1:06 still just seems like it is egging on the standard formula. Chugging riffs and dissonant clean guitar to add atmosphere.

1:22 seems like it should of been more built apon instead of being used to going into another chugging riff.

1:54 seemed like it should of been longer but after that where it go into the chorus was very enjoyable. I really like that part.

The jam part after with the solo was pretty solid but I'd work on your lead playing a little more.

3:05 wasn't very smooth, just seemed out of time with the previous riff.

3:17 back into chugging and clean guitar........

same with after that.

It seems like you just took what you have heard and tried to recreate it exactly. Frankly put, I was pretty bored the entire time I was listening to the track. A couple things that you might want to keep in mind.

1. Work on the video sync, it gets confusing and makes the video hard to watch.
2. Try adding your own style to your songs.
3. If you plan on making more videos in the future, invest in a better camera.
4. Use something else other than the standard sounds on your programmed drums.

Overall, a boring and uninspired track.
I don't like to be so harsh but I've heard this same style beaten to death.

is that why you disliked it? lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I agree with a lot of the above, it's quite generic and uninspired.

On a more positive note the production is not bad (well depending how long you've been doing it.) The drums let it down though. I think with more EQing and tweaking they could sound pretty good, but right now the snare and kick are way too dry and sit well. While the cymbals are kind of stuck in the background somewhere.

The solo was too loud and 'in your face.' There were some good ideas there but the execution was a bit messy, and your vibrato needs work (slow it down, make it smoother!) Vibrato makes all the difference.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. It was definitely not a completely 'noob' sounding recording, but it's just not too interesting. Keep working hard and trying to get the best sound you can!

I'm being very critical, but I hope it's helpful.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 11-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer127
is that why you disliked it? lol.

I'm a little confused by your vague question.
There are plenty of reasons why I didn't like it above, Which are you referring to?

The Youtubes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I think he means on Youtube.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Kyleisthename

Oh, that was there before I watched the video.

The Youtubes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
awesomo41894

I listened to the song man, I personally (although I agree its a bit generic) liked the song. Djent itself is getting to be generic, just like deathcore and metalcore be4 it, but im one that still enjoys all three of those genres, and for djent music, this is pretty good. That 1:54 part was great, prolly my favorite part. The only part i REALLY didnt like was the solo, that could be so much better. That, and the aforementioned video synch, that was kind of distracting. But the piece of music itself, I enjoyed, and I thought it was very well done, Great job!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
I agree with a lot of the above, it's quite generic and uninspired.

On a more positive note the production is not bad (well depending how long you've been doing it.) The drums let it down though. I think with more EQing and tweaking they could sound pretty good, but right now the snare and kick are way too dry and sit well. While the cymbals are kind of stuck in the background somewhere.

The solo was too loud and 'in your face.' There were some good ideas there but the execution was a bit messy, and your vibrato needs work (slow it down, make it smoother!) Vibrato makes all the difference.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. It was definitely not a completely 'noob' sounding recording, but it's just not too interesting. Keep working hard and trying to get the best sound you can!

I'm being very critical, but I hope it's helpful.

Generic and uninspired... do you mean the riffs are, or the song ideas? Like is it a matter of "You need to write better riffs because these ones are generic and uninspired" or a matter of "You need to implement new ideas because this song is generic and uninspired"?

Basically what im trying to say is whether or not its the riff writing or just the lack of original ideas.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I guess both? I'm not thinking in terms of riffs, I'm looking at is as a piece of music as a whole.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
I guess both? I'm not thinking in terms of riffs, I'm looking at is as a piece of music as a whole.

ok thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
ch715dallat
BTBAM=Godly

wtf is Djent? have a i been away from UG so long that a new genre name has been created :O

I quite liked this, i mean its generic, but gets the job done, as im quite into this style of music
ch715dallat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch715dallat
wtf is Djent? have a i been away from UG so long that a new genre name has been created :O

I quite liked this, i mean its generic, but gets the job done, as im quite into this style of music

Its basically a style of music using the characteristics of the style meshuggah develeoped. The actual term "Djent" is basically used to described the sound of a heavily palm muted chord. For example: the beginning riff to that song. It makes a "Djent. Djent, Djent" noise. I know its kinda weird.

But anyways a whole genre has been developed upon that. I think its pretty cool. Something to play around with, thats basically what this song was. Not trying to start a revolution or anything, was just bored so I wrote something "Djenty".

But honestly I think djent relies on polyrhythms and intricate riffs more then anything.

Last edited by Slayer127 : 11-10-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Adrianore19

Pretty damn good around 1:30 to about 1:55 pretty good sequence of rhythm bits. The song overall taboos a bit of the djent genre and lacks a bit of originality in ideas. Your production is pretty good and can only get better. I think your a better song writer than player and should focus on that aspect a bit more. Pretty good and on the right track for this style of music.
Cheers!

If you could check this out that would be cool.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1572172

Last edited by Adrianore19 : 11-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Adrianore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianore19
Pretty damn good around 1:30 to about 1:55 pretty good sequence of rhythm bits. The song overall taboos a bit of the djent genre and lacks a bit of originality in ideas. Your production is pretty good and can only get better. I think your a better song writer than player and should focus on that aspect a bit more. Pretty good and on the right track for this style of music.
Cheers!

If you could check this out that would be cool.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1572172

Thank you! Ill checkout your song.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Alright, well, here goes. I don't really listen to much djent but I do enjoy myself some metal.

As far as the production goes, I can tell after listening to it for like fifteen seconds that producing the music is one of your strengths. Everything comes though with excellent clarity in the mix.

As far as the composition itself... first part sounds cool. For some reason, I see Storm Troopers stomping around in my head. Don't ask me why. I feel like the rhythm guitar would be cooler if it followed the bass pedals a little more here though.

Around 1:48, I'm starting to notice there hasn't been much of a change in the groove although there was that one transitional bit between the first part and this one, but that's OK because it changes to a quiet part... but then it's still following the "big beat" as I think of it myself... ONE ....... TWO ...... I think the rhythmic feel needs to change at some point so the song feels like its going somewhere different. That's just my opinion though.

Felt like your lead break was cut a tad short there and you could have stretched out a little more. I was enjoying it and then it just kind of cut out. Around 3:39 I am inclined to compliment you on your ability to create atmosphere with the overdubbed guitars in the background and the other stuff you were doing before that.

The part at 3:45 is the change in rhythmic feel I wanted. You could have expanded upon what you were doing there before you started doing the bit at 4:01, although I felt that part fit appropriately afterwards.

Overall, really good song but would like to hear some vocals on it because when you leave room for the vocals in the composition and they aren't there, it'll always sound like somethings missing. If you don't plan on doing vocals you should just shred over it.

Anyhow, if you wouldn't mind C4C, you'd probably enjoy Inertia or maybe Maquinahombre.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
ch715dallat
BTBAM=Godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer127
Its basically a style of music using the characteristics of the style meshuggah develeoped. The actual term "Djent" is basically used to described the sound of a heavily palm muted chord. For example: the beginning riff to that song. It makes a "Djent. Djent, Djent" noise. I know its kinda weird.

But anyways a whole genre has been developed upon that. I think its pretty cool. Something to play around with, thats basically what this song was. Not trying to start a revolution or anything, was just bored so I wrote something "Djenty".

But honestly I think djent relies on polyrhythms and intricate riffs more then anything.

so i read up on this crap, basically everyone has adopted a new genre name for a genre that already existed but applied it to a certain area of this genre that uses certain guitar tones and heavily palm muted powerchords. .... ridiculous, even the dude from meshuggah who 'apparenty coined the genre name' says its ridiculous that people have actually started calling the music that.

lets just start calling doom metals genre 'Duuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnn'
or power metal 'twiddily diddly deee music'

pretty much every artist in this 'genre' has rejected people calling their music this new genre name. hilarious, definitely not gonna use that one in real life :P
ch715dallat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch715dallat
so i read up on this crap, basically everyone has adopted a new genre name for a genre that already existed but applied it to a certain area of this genre that uses certain guitar tones and heavily palm muted powerchords. .... ridiculous, even the dude from meshuggah who 'apparenty coined the genre name' says its ridiculous that people have actually started calling the music that.

lets just start calling doom metals genre 'Duuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnn'
or power metal 'twiddily diddly deee music'

pretty much every artist in this 'genre' has rejected people calling their music this new genre name. hilarious, definitely not gonna use that one in real life :P

Djent existed before it existed?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Slayer127

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONESHAKER
Alright, well, here goes. I don't really listen to much djent but I do enjoy myself some metal.

As far as the production goes, I can tell after listening to it for like fifteen seconds that producing the music is one of your strengths. Everything comes though with excellent clarity in the mix.

As far as the composition itself... first part sounds cool. For some reason, I see Storm Troopers stomping around in my head. Don't ask me why. I feel like the rhythm guitar would be cooler if it followed the bass pedals a little more here though.

Around 1:48, I'm starting to notice there hasn't been much of a change in the groove although there was that one transitional bit between the first part and this one, but that's OK because it changes to a quiet part... but then it's still following the "big beat" as I think of it myself... ONE ....... TWO ...... I think the rhythmic feel needs to change at some point so the song feels like its going somewhere different. That's just my opinion though.

Felt like your lead break was cut a tad short there and you could have stretched out a little more. I was enjoying it and then it just kind of cut out. Around 3:39 I am inclined to compliment you on your ability to create atmosphere with the overdubbed guitars in the background and the other stuff you were doing before that.

The part at 3:45 is the change in rhythmic feel I wanted. You could have expanded upon what you were doing there before you started doing the bit at 4:01, although I felt that part fit appropriately afterwards.

Overall, really good song but would like to hear some vocals on it because when you leave room for the vocals in the composition and they aren't there, it'll always sound like somethings missing. If you don't plan on doing vocals you should just shred over it.

Anyhow, if you wouldn't mind C4C, you'd probably enjoy Inertia or maybe Maquinahombre.

Thanks for your in depth review! Ive been working a lot more on atmospheric type stuff, i want to add some originality to my compositions besides recycled meshuggah riffs.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

I mean I wouldn't be able to pick that out, like I said I haven't heard much djent or Meshuggah but I do like other kinds of metal. If you would C4C? Links are in my sig, either of the metal ones are probably more up your alley.

Rate This Thread: