Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul w1
Ok guys we still haven't really got an answer to the original question which was what was the best amp the Vox or the Spider. That aside what i'm after is a good allround amp (combo) with plenty of built in effects so i don't have to have loads of pedals all over the floor. I don't mind tube or SS for up to 500.

Why do you want to give up your pedals for built-in effects? Is it really a huge hassle having a pedalboard? If it is, that's cool, that's your call. If not, then I highly recommend downgrading to a tiny terror + 112 cab, or the tiny terror combo, and keeping your pedalboard intact and keeping your effects at your feet.

If you really want everything in one package, the spider tube amps are actually pretty great.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
paul w1

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i just had a listen to the spider tube on you tube and it sounds very nice and it has a lot of effects, the only thing is it's 40w and it could be to loud at home. I'm just going to have a listen to the others.
paul w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

You really hate yourself, don't you?
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
paul w1

Had a listen to most of the suggested amps and the best sound for me was the Traynor ycv40 and then the spider tube. I can't see the Traynor for sale in the UK though.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Darkflame

Consider the YCV40wr, it is better than the original as it has a Vintage 30 speaker. The Spider might sound good on youtube clips, but it gets old fast. I use one occasionally in our rehearsal space, and it sucks really bad.
Also, keep in mind that you find your 30 watt head overkill, but are considering going for a 40w amp. No offense, but that is quite ridiculous.
My band (Facebook)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
paul w1

Thanks for that and that's a fair comment on the 30-40w, i will get down to the music shop and try them out thanks,,,Paul.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Darkflame

30 watts is already low wattage for an amp, and there's a volume knob on the amp for a reason.

Traynor also has a YCV20, which could be interesting for you. Look at the other low wattage amps I suggested. A Vox AC15 would be another very nice suggestion.
My band (Facebook)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #28
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Even 5 watts will be loud for home practice. I mean, it's pretty loud cranked when you are playing alone. But that's why there's a volume knob. I have a Laney VC30 and keep it at volume 1 and it still sounds good and better than the Spider at any volume with any settings. And what's wrong with a pedal board? Built in effects usually suck and also you want to control them with your feet. Now you already have a pedal board that you control with your feet. If your pedal board is too big, maybe consider selling some pedals that you don't use. Or then just plug your guitar straight to your amp and listen to the pure sound. Still, you need to buy the foot pedal like FBV shortboard if you are going for Line 6. And it will be as big as a small pedal board. Also tweaking your stompboxes is a lot easier than tweaking built in effects.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thomann sells the traynor ycv50b for a really killer price- ~450 or so depending on the exchange rate. It's basically the same thing as the ycv40 except with el34s and a vintage 30 speaker. For some reason they sell the ycv40wr for about 1500 (o_O).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
paul w1

Thanks again guys, the main reason for a combo is the lack of room when 3 or 4 of us are in the same room and if i want to go to my mates house it will be a lot easier to carry and setup.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Thanks again guys, the main reason for a combo is... it will be a lot easier to carry

Not necessarily. Some combos can be extremely heavy despite their size. That's a benefit of head/cab.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #32
paul w1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
Not necessarily. Some combos can be extremely heavy despite their size. That's a benefit of head/cab.

I wasn't talking about weight, just that it was one piece.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #33
paul w1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Even 5 watts will be loud for home practice. I mean, it's pretty loud cranked when you are playing alone. But that's why there's a volume knob. I have a Laney VC30 and keep it at volume 1 and it still sounds good and better than the Spider at any volume with any settings. And what's wrong with a pedal board? Built in effects usually suck and also you want to control them with your feet. Now you already have a pedal board that you control with your feet. If your pedal board is too big, maybe consider selling some pedals that you don't use. Or then just plug your guitar straight to your amp and listen to the pure sound. Still, you need to buy the foot pedal like FBV shortboard if you are going for Line 6. And it will be as big as a small pedal board. Also tweaking your stompboxes is a lot easier than tweaking built in effects.

I just had a listen to the Laney vc30 and it sounds great so i will try that when i get to the shop. When you say the Laney sounds better than the spider are you talking about the tube spider or the SS or both.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
lemurflames
Ronnie

Orange makes combos. Sell your Orange head and cab and get one.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
I just had a listen to the Laney vc30 and it sounds great so i will try that when i get to the shop. When you say the Laney sounds better than the spider are you talking about the tube spider or the SS or both.

I'm not sure about if the VC30 is for you. And I'm talking about the solid state Spider (I haven't tried the tube). The heaviest music you will play on VC30 is hard rock (Guns N' Roses, AC/DC and stuff, 80s hair metal). The clean channel is great.

EDIT: What styles do you play? Name some bands.

Also Youtube clips don't always tell the truth. The best way to find out how different amps sound is to go and try them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 11-04-2012 at 06:26 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #36
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

What you really need is a better neighbor and or attenuator. They dont get a lot of love around here for burning up tubes super fast. But you dont HAVE to crank it all the way and then lower it with an attenuator.

You should read the CEC amp thread about Watts and Sound level. Still should be on the front page. Great read and lots of things to learn.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
paul w1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I'm not sure about if the VC30 is for you. And I'm talking about the solid state Spider (I haven't tried the tube). The heaviest music you will play on VC30 is hard rock (Guns N' Roses, AC/DC and stuff, 80s hair metal). The clean channel is great.

EDIT: What styles do you play? Name some bands.

Also Youtube clips don't always tell the truth. The best way to find out how different amps sound is to go and try them.

Guns n' Roses is about as heavy as we go and is my fav band.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you replace a TH30 with a Spider you do realise that we are bound by law to burn you at the stake don't you? I wouldn't say that a TH30 is even a little bit OTT if you like jamming with a drummer at times, in fact I'd say it was just right.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
paul w1

I think being burnt at the stake is a bit harsh but if that's the rules then so be it. The TH30 is a great amp and has made my ears bleed many times but it's time for a change. I've just seen a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 Tube Amp on e/bay, if it goes for a reasonable price i will try that before i sell the TH30.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
lemurflames
Ronnie

Spiders. The worst amps you can possibly buy. Especially the Spider Valves. It's just a Spider with tubes in it. It's pointless. Some how even more pointless than a Blackstar HT-5. Just get a Tiny Terror or whatever and run one of Line 6's massive effects pedals through it. Then you will have TRUE tube tone with all of the electronic gizmos Line 6 offers.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: