Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Vond

Post I am confused

I recently decided to pick a guitar up because they always seemed easy and child's play with the messy tabs, sloppy look and such.

So far, I have managed to play G, C, B D, F C, E and A majors and minors. I am doing fairly well playing them, switching from one to another, different variations etc..

As for songs.. well, I can play Enter Sandman, The terrible smoke on the Water, Sweet Child O' mine(Intro), Thunder strike(Intro) and one or two more which I can't seem to remember.

Tuning is not much of a problem either.. perhaps it's due to the experience I have with violins and viola's? I also hope I can benefit from this sine I have been playing violins and viola's for about 7 years now. I hope it at least will make things bit easier..

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that I am trying to learn playing the guitar by myself without spending thousands of dollars on DVDs, books, teachers, tapes and what not.

This is my 2nd day with my first guitar(It's an Epiphone - Special Model, I can't say if it's any good). I also bought an amp which is a Line 6 15 W.

So far, It's been a very good experience for me but I don't know if I am doing it ''right''. I don't know what to work on, what to play next, what to practise or which direction to go.

I doubt playing random songs and such will get me anywhere. I could use some ''guidance''. And it has to be free as well.

EDIT: Marty Schwartz's videos have been a great source of knowledge to me.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you.

Last edited by Vond : 11-03-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Vond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
tappooh

Im confused as well, what is it exactly that you need help with?

Your post is a bit vague. You should probably post a video of yourself playing something so that we can see what you need to work on.

My Buckethead covers (I don't dress up like him)
tappooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

I'm also confused. You say this is your second day with the guitar, and yet you're learned 7 major chords, 7 minor chords, enter sandman, some smoke on the water, and the intro to sweet child o' mine and thunderstruck? I call bullshit.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Vond

Bullshit?

I can actually play them. Maybe not 100% correct but yeah...

I have played for around 9 - 10 hours by the way in case it makes a differene. Although I did practice a little bit on an acoustic before I got an electric...

EDIT: What I need help with is basically.... Which direction to go. I don't know what I should be practising or doing at all.. Should I play random songs and gibberish all day long?

For example, power chords are fairly hard for me to do. How can I improve it?

Last edited by Vond : 11-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Junior#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vond
Bullshit?

I can actually play them. Maybe not 100% correct but yeah...

I have played for around 9 - 10 hours by the way in case it makes a differene. Although I did practice a little bit on an acoustic before I got an electric...

EDIT: What I need help with is basically.... Which direction to go. I don't know what I should be practising or doing at all.. Should I play random songs and gibberish all day long?

For example, power chords are fairly hard for me to do. How can I improve it?

Really? 9-10 hours? Change that to 9-10 days and I'll believe you. Or post a vid of you playing it and I'll believe you. But let's move on....

First, I think you should look for a good teacher. I know you said you don't want to spend a ton of money, but honestly, there's no greater resource than a good teacher. They can definitely be worth the money.

You should also learn the notes of the fretboard. It makes many things easier, such as learning things by ear, and improvising.

After that, I think you should start learning some theory. It's not a requisite for being a great guitarist, but it can be extremely helpful. I highly recommend you learn it.

Other than that, learn some songs, do some improvising, and use some exercises to work on your weaknesses.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Vond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Really? 9-10 hours? Change that to 9-10 days and I'll believe you. Or post a vid of you playing it and I'll believe you. But let's move on....

First, I think you should look for a good teacher. I know you said you don't want to spend a ton of money, but honestly, there's no greater resource than a good teacher. They can definitely be worth the money.

You should also learn the notes of the fretboard. It makes many things easier, such as learning things by ear, and improvising.

After that, I think you should start learning some theory. It's not a requisite for being a great guitarist, but it can be extremely helpful. I highly recommend you learn it.

Other than that, learn some songs, do some improvising, and use some exercises to work on your weaknesses.

I have practiced for about 4 - 5 hours everyday(these two days) so it's about 8 - 10 hours. Why on earth would I lie?

Perhaps you have never heard of ''The more you practice, the better you get'', hm? Playing for 10 min won't get me anywhere..

Anyways, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out. When you say notes of stringboard do you mean the name of the strings? And what do you mean by theory? Could you please elaborate that.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
The Dimery

Haha it took me 6 months to play the F and B barre chord at an acceptable level (with sub sequential changes)
10 hours and you have them 'down'.
Well done my friend...
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Junior#1

Quote:
I have practiced for about 4 - 5 hours everyday(these two days) so it's about 8 - 10 hours. Why on earth would I lie?

Perhaps you have never heard of ''The more you practice, the better you get'', hm? Playing for 10 min won't get me anywhere..

You're missing my point. I'm saying 10 hours isn't nearly enough time to learn all that you claim to have learned. Why would you lie? To make yourself seem better than you actually are. A lot of people do that.

Quote:
Anyways, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out. When you say notes of stringboard do you mean the name of the strings? And what do you mean by theory? Could you please elaborate that.

Learning the fretboard means learning the names of the strings as well as learning what all the frets are. So if someone says play a D note, you won't have to think about it, you could just play the 10th fret of the E string (or the 22nd fret, or the 5th fret of the A strings, etc.).

Learning theory is learning music theory. So learning how to build chords from scales, and why certain chords and scales work together. As well as more basic things like time signatures, key signatures, and intervals.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Really? 9-10 hours? Change that to 9-10 days and I'll believe you. Or post a vid of you playing it and I'll believe you.

Remember Junior: it's not your problem. I don't believe him either but whatever, if he's right good, if he's wrong it's something for him to deal with in the fullness of time.

Quote:

It sounds unbelievable because it is, it takes most people several weeks just to get used to holding the guitar, let alone playing any actual songs. I should also point out that if you "can't play them 100%" then you can't play them. It's very much a binary thing. I would also suggest that if powerchords are hard for you then you can't possibly play Enter Sandman at all well if you can even make your way through the rhythm parts to the end.

Quote:

By the notes of the fretboard he means the position and name of every note on the fretboard, like where all the As are, where all the A#s are and so on until you can name what every fret is in terms of the note, not just the fret number.

By theory he means music theory, chord construction, scales, keys, application of that knowledge and so on. It will take you the rest of your life to learn and even then you won't know everything. I suggest you watch this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL58DA70A2123C71CD and make sure you understand it all before you go any further. I would then suggest that you read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...lue=the+crusade again, making sure you understand every section before you move on to the next. I can't emphasize that part enough; if you don't understand one section you probably won't understand the next, all music theory is built from an understanding of the basics. The absolute basics inform and shape everything else while giving you a fundamental of vocabulary to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Vond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Remember Junior: it's not your problem. I don't believe him either but whatever, if he's right good, if he's wrong it's something for him to deal with in the fullness of time.

It sounds unbelievable because it is, it takes most people several weeks just to get used to holding the guitar, let alone playing any actual songs. I should also point out that if you "can't play them 100%" then you can't play them. It's very much a binary thing. I would also suggest that if powerchords are hard for you then you can't possibly play Enter Sandman at all well if you can even make your way through the rhythm parts to the end.

By the notes of the fretboard he means the position and name of every note on the fretboard, like where all the As are, where all the A#s are and so on until you can name what every fret is in terms of the note, not just the fret number.

By theory he means music theory, chord construction, scales, keys, application of that knowledge and so on. It will take you the rest of your life to learn and even then you won't know everything. I suggest you watch this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL58DA70A2123C71CD and make sure you understand it all before you go any further. I would then suggest that you read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...lue=the+crusade again, making sure you understand every section before you move on to the next. I can't emphasize that part enough; if you don't understand one section you probably won't understand the next, all music theory is built from an understanding of the basics. The absolute basics inform and shape everything else while giving you a fundamental of vocabulary to work with.

I wrote The intro to Enter Sandman, not the entire song. The same goes for Sweet Child.

I have been surrounded by guitars for the past year. I've had a little ''fun'' with them from time to time but haven't really played them ''seriously'' if you can call it that...

And thank you very much for that link. I will take a look at it.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Junior#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah, I know. It's just one of my pet peeves. I hate people who are like "hey I've been playing for 10 days and I can already play Scarrified. How do you like them apples?".

TS, you never actually stated that it was just the intro to Enter Sandman. It doesn't change anything, I'm just pointing out that you never said that.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Just like to chime in here and say it's fairly conceivable that the TS could have achieved this in such a short time as they have stated that they already have a fair bit if experience with violin/viola. While there obviously different instruments to the guitar, many of the skills are transferable and they also likely have some background in music theory. Most beginners at guitar have never touched a stringed instrument before and don't have the strength or coordination to fret things so a lot of that has probably already been overcome when learning the violin.

Also - TS, you probably shouldn't come onto a guitar forum and undermine the instrument and those who you it by saying that it looks like child's play. A lot of people put a lot of time and effort into it, some even dedicate their lives to it. Any instrument can look like child's play in the right hands.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 11-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
I wrote The intro to Enter Sandman, not the entire song. The same goes for Sweet Child

I wrote the triangle parts on Exile on Maine Street, the bongo segments on Electric Ladyland and played tambourine on Revolver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll
Just like to chime in here and say it's fairly conceivable that the TS could have achieved this in such a short time as they have stated that they already have a fair bit if experience with violin/viola.

I agree that it is possible if they are very familiar with another stringed instrument and have a shit load of talent. But the time period given does seem a bit unrealistic but isn't completely impossible, maybe.

Whatever. I'm a fan of the TS's ability, he writes some rocking intros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 11-03-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Tuning is not much of a problem either.. perhaps it's due to the experience I have with violins and viola's? I also hope I can benefit from this sine I have been playing violins and viola's for about 7 years now. I hope it at least will make things bit easier..

I can imagine your violin playing if you even have doubts that it helps with your tuning;-)

Rate This Thread: