Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Jumbosize

Help using rock band controller as MIDI controller

Hi guys, I wasn't really sure where to post this so I guess this is the best place. I don't know if anybody here has experience with trying this out first hand but I sure hope so: so I recently got one of the Xbox 360 rock band 3 fender mustang guitars so that I could use it as a MIDI instrument. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble because it isn't working at all. I bought a cheap MIDI to usb cable that has USB on one end, and then MIDI in and MIDI out cables on the other end. I plugged the usb into my computer and then the MIDI out cable to the guitar. I turned on the controller and it displayed a red ring which means it is in MIDI mode. I proceeded to go into fruity loops to enable it as a midi instrument on my computer with no luck. I use my keyboard which plugs into the computer by usb into fruity loops all the time with no troubles at all.

Does anybody know what might be the problem? I've tried like everything possible. I Have a feeling it's just a crappy cable that's the problem. It was just a cheap <$5 cable I got from amazon. Also I'm a little confused by the cable having two MIDI ends. I plugged it into the "out" one because that one made the controller go into MIDI mode. The other one doesn't. So am I just supposed to leave the "in" end dangling then?

If anybody has any tips I would be happy to hear. Thanks!

Last edited by Jumbosize : 11-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Jumbosize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Is it possible for you to return it and buy a YouRock guitar? The YouRock guitar is going to be far better than that RB3 mustang. I have one and it's pretty awesome.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Jumbosize

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Is it possible for you to return it and buy a YouRock guitar? The YouRock guitar is going to be far better than that RB3 mustang. I have one and it's pretty awesome.

Yea, that was actually my original plan. The only reason I didn't go that direction was price. I got this one used for $40 (including shipping) which is less than a third of a new YouRock guitar as I recall. Believe I me would love to have one of those but I just don't have the money. Maybe christmas? haha
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
jmako

The price of the cable shouldnt matter. A cable is a cable is a cable
jmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Jumbosize

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmako
The price of the cable shouldnt matter. A cable is a cable is a cable

well for a typical cable I would agree, but since it is USB going to a computer there are drivers and such for different operating systems, and third party cables tend to not have support for all. This is why I think it might be the cable.

Can anybody second my opinion and validate me buying a different cable to try it out? Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't think I am.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Please post this in the appropriate forum.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Jumbosize

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
Please post this in the appropriate forum.

Could you please tell me where? I didn't see an appropriate place
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosize
Could you please tell me where? I didn't see an appropriate place

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/

Next to each forum there's a description saying what it's about, i'm sure you can read.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Jumbosize

Quote:

Next to each forum there's a description saying what it's about, i'm sure you can read.

...I put it here because I didn't see a subcategory that actually fit
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Would you care to point out which one is the right forum, because don't see one for electronic instruments

TS, your best bet would probably be the guitar gear and accessories forum: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...isplay.php?f=33
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: