Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
duderonomi

Vht tips

I was recommended the vht special 6 on here. 1st off - thanks. I love that amp. I never thought I could have something that sounded like that. So good. I didn't get the ultra just the base model and was wondering if there are any tips for getting the slightest bit of distortion out of it. I read its a mix of guitar volume & amp volume but I can't find anything really different adjusting the knobs. I was just wondering if there was some way to get a tiny bit of crunch. Im Considering the v drive pedal based on how much I like their product. If I can't really adjust the amp, it's great as it is. No love lost.
duderonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you really just have to turn the thing up. it'll distort like mad if you get the volume control on the amp over 12 o'clock. that's loud as heck, though (105dB+). Setting it to triode mode will lower the volume a little, but it'll still be pretty loud.

that's the advantage of the ultra version- it has a master volume and switchable extra preamp gain stage so you can get preamp distortion at low volume levels, and also has a wattage control so you can get power tube distortion at lower levels.

distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals would be the thing- what type of tones are you after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
duderonomi

The basic tone of the thing is perfect. I just want to dirty it up a little. I have a danelectro fab tone which is gross and a nady ps-25 touch overdrive which is ok but still sounds processed. I was thinking about the vht v-drive just bc the amp is so good. I was playing franz ferdinand and dire straits tonight so something that can get there. I play sabbath and zep sometime but I'm not gonna be playing pantera or lamb of god.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
danresn

A tubescreamer or one of those blackstar distortion boxes would probably be your best bet.
danresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
&baconstrips

Flip to power switch to "low power", pull out the volume knob to engage the "boost", plug in to the "hi" input, crank your guitar's volume, and you should get something. If not, turn the gain all the way down on one of your overdrive pedals, and increase the volume until the amp's preamp starts to distort. If that doesn't work, then it's time to go overdrive shopping.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Digitech bad monkey would work fine.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderonomi
The basic tone of the thing is perfect. I just want to dirty it up a little. I have a danelectro fab tone which is gross and a nady ps-25 touch overdrive which is ok but still sounds processed. I was thinking about the vht v-drive just bc the amp is so good. I was playing franz ferdinand and dire straits tonight so something that can get there. I play sabbath and zep sometime but I'm not gonna be playing pantera or lamb of god.

ah ok

if you can still find one, a danelectro transparent overdrive (v1, the one with the yellow sticker) is a timmy clone, which is pretty transparent. Might be worth a try.

not really enough for sabbath, though (or even some zep). A joyo OCD clone (the ultimate drive) might be a good all-rounder without breaking the bank.

a lot of zep is fuzz, too. So a fuzz pedal might be worth considering.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
duderonomi

I got the joyo. I'll post back when it gets here. So far all the advice you guys have given me has been rock solid. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it, I've got limited funds to throw at my guitar so getting good advice is really helpful. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries, i hope you like it let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Quote:

Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
duderonomi

Got the joyo. It's awesome. Totally responsive. No extraneous hum or buzz just great. Thanks. Excellent pedal, exactly what I wanted. Been thinking about getting the little big muff next.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

awesome, glad you're happy

you got the ultimate drive, right?

EDIT: i'm not sure a muff would be the thing for zep- i think a lot of zep is a tonebender? I'm not too well up on vintage fuzzes, though.

Quote:

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
duderonomi

Yeah the Ultimate Overdrive, it's great.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

Rate This Thread: