Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
halfback_712

Acoustic guitar pickup

So I have a $50 amazon giftcard and I want to buy a pickup for my Oscar Schmidt dreadnaught acoustic (wouldn't trade this $200 thing for a $2000 Martin). Anyways, I don't know anything at all about acoustic guitar pickups. What should I get?

edit: I like to play a lot of the percussive, pick-slapping John Mayer-esque stuff. So I guess I need something that will work well for that style

Thanks.

Last edited by halfback_712 : 12-01-2012 at 04:17 PM.
halfback_712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Bikewer

For your 50 bucks, you'll likely do well with one of the inexpensive stick-on transducer pickups. There are a couple of models available.
The soundhole pickups are generally electromagnetic, like electric guitar PUs, and as such won't sense the vibration of the guitar body much.
The transducer (piezo) pickups will, and the inexpensive ones just stick on wherever you'd like.

Unfortunately, they're kind of delicate, what with the wire hanging off wherever you stick it.
For a better job, you could place it inside the guitar, and re-wire the thing to an end-pin jack, or have someone at a shop do that... But it'd likely double your money.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: