Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Trea_lewis16

US Looking for new amp

im looking for a new amp as my line 6 spider III 15 is rubbish. im looking to upgrade to a new amp and was going to get a marshall hd100cfx ful/halfl stack with the 412 slant and straight cfx cabs. but i kinda want a tube amp which one is better for under 500 and im also still thinking about making this a full/half stack if possible while keeping it relatively cheap.

im trying to stay under 2,000 us dollars.

I play mainly rock/hardrock and all metal types cleans are needed.

The amp has to be new.

i will be using the amp both at home and for gigging.

I live 30 minutes away from indianapolis indiana.

Gear:
Memphis Strat knockoff
Ibanez RG2EX2 with v7 neck pickup and v8 bridge pickup
Ibanez AEF18e acoustic electric

Last edited by Trea_lewis16 : 11-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Trea_lewis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

We need you to answer these questions in this thread.

From what I can gather from your post, I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking or Ultra. Both around $250. I guess you mean US dollars.

There are some Bugeras, but they do get some bashing here.

Oh, and you're not gonna get a stack for under $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
diskothek
Baby casserole

Keep saving a bit more dude, you can get a nice tube set up with just a little more cash. Also any reason you want the 4x12? A 2x12 is still loud as hell while being a little cheaper and more portable.
Breedlove Passport C250/CMe

Amps
Peavey VTM 120 > Orange PPC 212-C
VOX VT20+
Pedal/Effects
Korg DT-10
Boss NS-2
diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskothek
Keep saving a bit more dude, you can get a nice tube set up with just a little more cash. Also any reason you want the 4x12? A 2x12 is still loud as hell while being a little cheaper and more portable.

So is 1x12 combo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Trea_lewis16

the reason i want the half/full stack is just pure aesthetics i don't want to hit the stage and have every one laugh and be like "wtf is this guy serious?" plus i dont know if the cab makes it louder or not but i want it insanely ****ing loud. i have been looking at the Marshall MA100 head with a 4x12 loaded with either greenbacks or celestion speakers.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

no. MAs suck ass. ESPECIALLY with that budget.

What you want:
used Mesa Mark IV or Mark V
Mesa Dual Rectifier

and then a Rectifier closed-back straight 4x12 cab.
or an Orange PPC412

wiat, nevermind, Why won't you go used? You will get WAY more bang for your buck.

Last edited by ihartfood : 11-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Your profile says you're 16. And you think you need a stack? Yeah, sure. Whatever. And I'm sure all the kids at your neighbor kid's birthday party won't care what amp you're using, since that's likely to be the biggest gig you'll be playing at this age.

4x12 cabs have specific purposes, and if you aren't after one for those purposes and just want to "look cool" (like most kids your age), then you clearly have no business owning a stack. Get a combo.

That said, if you need good distortion with good cleans and have up to $2000 to spend, look into a used Mesa Rectoverb, used Peavey JSX, Carvin V3m, Engl Screamer 50, or a used 6505 212 if you can tolerate the cleans on it.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Nobody will laugh at you if you play through a combo. For example Brian May from Queen used VOX AC30 combos on stage. Did people laugh at him? Actually nowadays people use combos live because you don't need a stack. You will be miced and it's easier to carry a small combo with you than a Marshall stack. In the 60s/70s you needed many stacks to be heard but nowadays you will be miced and you could gig with a Microcube if you wanted. Your attitude is wrong. You don't buy an amp to look good, you buy an amp to sound good and I think people will like your playing more if you have a good sounding amp than if you have a good looking amp that sounds like crap (and for that budget ($500) you won't get a good looking stack that sounds good). Buy a combo. Or is your budget $2000? What genres do you play? (I guess: metal, metal and metal.)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Trea_lewis16

@Ian_the_fox i actually live across from a friends uncle who's boss offered me and a couple friends some serious gigs in chicago and ny he told us to put together 10 songs and pick 5 that we liked and wanted to preform. unfortunately not every one could go so the deal fell through and btw i have been playing for 3 years now and all i have been doing is playing for 3 hours minimum self taught and still learning. but i actually am thinking now more on the side of marshall's jvm410hcf with a 1 4x12 cab loaded with celestions but i also am getting these because im looking to form a new band and enter in the battle of the bands for the uproar tour next year and if we get that then we need to be able to be heard and not walk on stage with tiny amps.

i dont go with used because every time i have gone with a used amp it ****ing breaks or sounds like shit because the speaker was beat to hell.

@MaggaraMarine i would have loved to stay around 500 but i realize now that for that price your buying shit. so im willing to go all out now i just have to save my money.

Last edited by Trea_lewis16 : 11-04-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trea_lewis16
Ian_the_fox i actually live across from a friends uncle who's boss offered me and a couple friends some serious gigs in chicago and ny he told us to put together 10 songs and pick 5 that we liked and wanted to preform. unfortunately not every one could go so the deal fell through and btw i have been playing for 3 years now and all i have been doing is playing for 3 hours minimum self taught and still learning. but i actually am thinking now more on the side of marshall's jvm410hcf with a 1 4x12 cab loaded with celestions but i also am getting these because im looking to form a new band and enter in the battle of the bands for the uproar tour next year and if we get that then we need to be able to be heard and not walk on stage with tiny amps.

Please speak in sentences. That was painful to read.

Even if you're performing at Uproar, you can use a combo, because you will be miked up I guarantee. You couldn't fill an outdoor venue like that without a PA system.

You have some really good recommendations above; take a look into those before thinking "Oh, I need a Marshall stack" The JVM is good, but I've heard they aren't everyone's fancy. And you NEED to go used for more bang for your buck. You won't get a warranty, but you will have a much better product if you take care of it.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Trea_lewis16

ok so for all of you who are saying get a combo, if i get one which would be better? Also if i do get the JVM410 head what would be the best marshall cabinet to go with it?

Last edited by Trea_lewis16 : 11-04-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trea_lewis16
ok so for all of you who are saying get a combo, if i get one which would be better? Also if i do get the JVM410 head what would be the best marshall cabinet to go with it?

I've given you two recommendations in the first reply to this thread . Maybe you should read that.

They both stay within your $500 budget.

Quote:

Quote:
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.

Last edited by AtaBorMan : 11-04-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaBorMan
I've given you two recommendations in the first reply to this thread . Maybe you should read that.

They both stay within your $500 budget.

His budget is $2,000

I think a Rectoverb would suit well.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
His budget is $2,000

I think a Rectoverb would suit well.

Yeah, he changed it, I know. But I figured it was better to recommend something he might actually buyn not only dream about for two years while he saves up.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Get a head and a 2x12.

it's better sounding and easier to transport than a combo, without the ludicrous size and weight of a 4x12.

If you're 16, I doubt your band has a decent sized van/trailer. In that case, you really don't want a 4x12, believe me.

If it was my money I'd get a used Splawn Quickrod and an Avatar G212 Contemporary (probably with a V30 and a Governor).
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Robbgnarly

If you really have a $2000 budget and will go used, you can get a Mesa Dual/single recto head for $999 on Guitarcenters used site and a matching 4x12 recto cab for $400-$500. Or you could get a Splawn QR/Nitro and a splawn 4x12 cab on that site under your budget.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Trea_lewis16

wow rectoverb is awesome now i have 2 options that and the jvm410 combo. which i just found but can anyone explain to me why the combo costs the same ammout as the 100w head with guitar centers 3 year pro coverage added. i was looking the 100w head with coverage is 2,800 and the combo with out coverage is 2,800; why is this?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

The head costs less because it doesn't have any speakers.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Trea_lewis16

@kyle62 i actually am planning on getting either a truck with extended cab for my first vehicle.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
FenrirFangs

You don't need a halfstack. In fact, NO ONE needs a halfstack. Do you understand how loud an 100w amp can get? Unless you're playing stadiums, a 2x12 cab, a 1x12 cab, or a combo of any orientation will be enough.

I'm 18, and I use halfstacks and quarterstacks. Why? Not so I look "cool" on stage, I leave my guitar playing and general angelic gorgeousness to that. I use them because a) I like experimenting with speakers, b) I like experimenting with the sounds of different cabs in general, c) I generally like the tone the head/cab vs the combo, but a lot of that may just be placebo.

Sure, stacks look cooler than combos, but combos sound just as good, are way easier to transport and store, and are much easier to deal with. If you want a halfstack, get a halfstack, but don't get it to make your dick look big, get it for the right reason. Tone.

In answer to your original question, get a Peavey Ultra Plus head or Combo. I had one, and it was an absolutely killer amp. Amazing clean tone, and the distortion was very ENGL-like rather than the 5150 buzzsaw tone. Built in reverb was the best I've ever heard save for some Fenders. I stupidly sold it to fund a guitar build project and have regretted it ever since, but it actually ended up crapping out (due to user error of the kid I sold it to, apparently didn't know how to use the standby switch and blew out all the, fuses, tubes, and now it has a constant buzzing sound), so I guess I the better end of that deal.

But yeah, what I suggest is this. Get a Peavey Ultra Plus head, and either a Whitebox 2x12 w/V30s, an Avatar 2x12 w/V30s, or a Jet City cab w/V30s. If you do some looking, you could get any of those rigs for under $700 and have a professional level rig.

Last edited by FenrirFangs : 11-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: