Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #61
eGraham
Logjammin'

I dunno. I don't think I really follow anyone else's philosophical/intellectual views. Maybe I'm influenced by people who are influenced by other, more famous people, but that's hard to say.

That being said, my aunt and uncle on my dad's side are super intellects. I've always been kind of jealous/amazed at how much they know about nearly everything. It reminds me of how much I have to learn and expand on.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #62
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Maybe I'm influenced by people who are influenced by other, more famous people, but that's hard to say.

Isn't that pretty much how influence works? We are influenced by others, who in turn are influenced by others, who in turn.... ect, ect?

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #63
eGraham
Logjammin'

Yea, you're right. It's obvious, but I thought it might need stating anyway

I meant to point out that it's impossible to know who all I've been influenced by.

October 23, 2014
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #64
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
Isn't that pretty much how influence works? We are influenced by others, who in turn are influenced by others, who in turn.... ect, ect?

I'm only quoting this to annoy Slacker, and because it's the first time in my presence on UG that I've ever seen him make a mistake (one I've noticed, at least), trivial or not, and I like to remind myself that even the great aren't truly infallible.

Anyway, as for 'thinkers' who've influenced me it is hard to say, but I guess people you're involved in during your early upbringing are fairly influential in how you develop. Otherwise, I'd say I'm often influenced towards learning about various subjects by people I meet/experience, though I'm not sure whether it constitutes a change of how I think - more a case of influencing where my interest wanders. Then again, if we take the definition to mean an altering of opinion, there are probably far more than I can remember.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #65
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
I'm only quoting this to annoy Slacker, and because it's the first time in my presence on UG that I've ever seen him make a mistake (one I've noticed, at least), trivial or not, and I like to remind myself that even the great aren't truly infallible.

I'm constantly making mistakes like that, mainly because I have a mild form of dyslexia.

It wasn't so long ago that I had a spate of spelling 'certain' as 'cirtain' and I really struggled getting out of that habit.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #66
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer

The answers here kinda surprise me, I was expecting a lot more.. modern stuff. Personally it's usually films, music, even people on here, just things that I think make sense in a way that I haven't seen before and make me think that inspire my current way of thinking and seeing things.

Of course I can't say I know anything about the old "thinkers" and whatnot.

Last edited by Bob_Sacamano : 11-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #67
willT08
Banned

Orwell and Socrates mainly.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #68
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:

I'm constantly making mistakes like that, mainly because I have a mild form of dyslexia.

Well, thanks for making me feel like a complete and utter bastard!

Quote:
It wasn't so long ago that I had a spate of spelling 'certain' as 'cirtain' and I really struggled getting out of that habit.

Don't worry, I swear as school becomes more and more distant in the past (currently 5 years since I took my A Levels) I am having to check I've spelled something correctly more often. Then again, it doesn't help spending half my time typing on a Mac which wants to auto-correct to American English all the time.

Music Stuff

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #69
eGraham
Logjammin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath

Don't worry, I swear as school becomes more and more distant in the past (currently 5 years since I took my A Levels) I am having to check I've spelled something correctly more often. Then again, it doesn't help spending half my time typing on a Mac which wants to auto-correct to Correct English all the time.

ftfy

Just kidding, I don't want to start another language war here.

October 23, 2014
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #70
Swannie
drives a hearse

Christopher Hitchens
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #71
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastytaco
Post a short list of thinkers that have most influenced you along with a short reason why. These can range from philosophical, political to economic thinkers.
Absolutely no attacks on others' beliefs or name calling and you will be polite. Polite and constructive discussion is welcome.

To start the thread, in no particular order:
-John Locke, for his political work on separating government powers, but especially on his thoughts on rights of man.
-David Ricardo, for his work on economics and rationalizing free trade through the theory of comparative advantage.
-Adam Smith, for his work on the observation of markets and father of modern economics.
-Hippocrates, as the father of Western medicine. An obvious choice for a medical student.
-Milton Friedman, for his academic work (on monetary theory especially) and for his political work in an era where the intellectual climate was against him.

Edit: You can name fictional influences along with family members and pretty much anyone you can think of. Add a short sentence explaining why though.

It's funny. He invented modern economics then wrote in the conclusion, essentially, that, to paraphrase, "this is fucking horrible, guys. Seriously."

Speaking personally, I'd say Voltaire, Stephen Fry (srsly), Dawkins (rightly or wrongly), Hitchins (the good one), Hume and Engels.
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #72
Cianyx
Banned

What was horrible?
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #73
willT08
Banned

Reading through it seems I also forgot Hitchens and Thomas Paine.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #74
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianyx
What was horrible?

http://autotelic.com/adam_smith_wasn%27t_a_capitalist

"All for ourselves and nothing for other people seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."

Last edited by magnus_maximus : 11-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #75
CoreysMonster
Banned

Bill Watterson has taught and shaped me more than any other living person on this planet.

CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #76
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
ftfy

Just kidding, I don't want to start another language war here.

Oh, you!

Music Stuff

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #77
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:

ugh that reminds me, i was told i was dyslexic in year 6 because i couldn't spell shit, but it was complete bollocks because i did good in my english gcse, i'm just a late bloomer (in many things, for example i did better in my maths AS level than my maths GCSE)

i think my intellectual influences are stephen pinker, stephen hawking, nick tyson, isaac newton, shakespeare, pythagorus and socrates
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #78
Tastytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus

"All for ourselves and nothing for other people seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."

Well I believe that there has been a lot of misquotation in that link (might as well have quoted Naomi Klein, no offense). Much of what he said applied to special interests and their rent-seeking behavior.
Anyways, I don't want to start a flame war, but I do believe that the interpretation of Adam Smith as an advocate for laissez-faire is accurate.
Tastytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #79
Cianyx
Banned

^Welp, this is awkward
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus

This doesn't mean that he was against political economy at all. The Wealth of Nations was an attack on the tyranny of Mercantilism and Mandeville's Fable of the Bees (private vices are public benefits) and that statement wouldn't have surprised anyone. Smith wasn't a free-marketer anyway and he makes it pretty obvious with his entry on education.

Edit: I'll clarify the last bit. He did think that sometimes the market was inadequate in providing services (i.e. some educational courses might not be supplied due to low demand) and sometimes government can justifiably step in.

Last edited by Cianyx : 11-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #80
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid-to-waste
ugh that reminds me, i was told i was dyslexic in year 6 because i couldn't spell shit, but it was complete bollocks because i did good in my english gcse, i'm just a late bloomer (in many things, for example i did better in my maths AS level than my maths GCSE)

i think my intellectual influences are stephen pinker, stephen hawking, nick tyson, isaac newton, shakespeare, pythagorus and socrates

Sure you did...

Rate This Thread: