Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

I think it's just a process of "natural selection", to use the term loosely.

There are always many different shapes on the maket, but some are more popular than others, either due to comfort, aesthetics or just tradition.

I don't think developing new shapes for their own sake is necessary, if only to avoid copyright issues.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Maybe they should start mass producing the Wangcaster.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Dayn

Don't forget ergonomic shapes, like Strandberg.

Other than that, guitars are meant to be played by humans. There are only a limited number of ways you can make a guitar really comfortable to play.

Anything different is just for aesthetics' sake.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
Huge Guy

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy

Would be really cool without the dolphin.

And psychedelic paint would make that trippy as ****!

Also this:
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #26
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

From an aesthetic point of view... strandberg have been a bit unique:
http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/
I guess it's a headless super-strat at the end of the day, but the varberg shape deviates from that design a bit more.

Rick Toone has some wacky designs: http://www.ricktoone.com/instruments.html
as well as some really cool technological advancements: http://www.ricktoone.com/lutherie.html

... and if you want more technological advancements; look up the Evertune bridge and true temperament fretting system.

May be a while until we see these things go mainstream. The average person generally doesn't stray too far from Fender, Gibson and Ibanez. Every other player I know thinks I'm nuts for looking into all this obscure tech.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
Kyleisthename

Well, something that you have to think about is MATERIAL PRINTERS!

You could make any shape of guitar you could possible want at home if they become cheap enough.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
dannyalcatraz

I saw an article a couple of months ago about a 3D printed guitar made this year.

Besides that, look at the new materials out there finding their way to luthiers: besides the ones mentioned already, I've seen Kevlar, Delta metal and other exotic manmade materials.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
Huge Guy

I want a guitar made of ham.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
dannyalcatraz

I was reading about the Gibson, and it IS an interesting guitar. One thing stands out to me, though: Gibson is talking about setting up something analogous to the Apple App Store to handle the downloads for this guitar.

WHY?

I've seen several companies try to reinvent the wheel lately, almost always to their detriment. Even Apple did that by ditching Google Maps for its own program, and it was a buggy mess.

DigiTech- admittedly a smaller company than Gibson- saved a metric BUTTLOAD of money by simply using the iPads & App Store to realize their iPB-10...and all of the Apple mobile devices for its iStomp pedal.

It is possible that Gibson will get it right, and have a dependable, easy to use interface and not be beholden to anyone else, but will the benefits outweigh the costs?

And what if they screw it up?

I mean, if they have a mad on about Apple, why not go with the Android store?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-05-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

I don't understand what the point of the Firebird X is... are the effects built into the guitar? I don't understand the way they're describing it with all the marketing wank... they make it sound like it will run operating systems and angry birds. It missed a trick IMO by not incorporating a touchpad/touchscreen for a new level of interactivity like people who much around with kaoss pads and the like.

This way it's just pointless... you want your effects in the pedal board and back-line so your hands focus on playing, and so you're not stuck with one guitar. It's fine if you play one tuning and one guitar, and it'll probably model other guitars, but it all falls apart if you go past tuning half a step down or drop tune and switch to ERGs occasionally or use certain open tunings.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #32
dannyalcatraz

I think they're downloadable, and it comes pre-loaded with a certain selection, much like the DigiTech pedals.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #33
AWACS
Lord Steward

Theres Teuffel's (sp?) guitars as well, like the Birdfish.

EDIT: Strandbergs are super sexy. I want.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto

Last edited by AWACS : 11-05-2012 at 04:40 AM.
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I think they're downloadable, and it comes pre-loaded with a certain selection, much like the DigiTech pedals.

I still don't see the appeal... It's expensive as, an a limited run. I don't see developers jumping on board for this. The self-tuning is ok I guess, but I'd rather just use an evertune set-up.

It would be cool to assign a different effect to each string I guess... could be creative, but I don't see why you would go for the inbuilt effects there over say an axe-fx.

It looks like a decent solution if you could only bring one guitar and a basic amp and no other effects processors... but its battery life is limited, and I doubt robot tuning will help tuning stability if you've gone from E standard down to drop C. The strings will just be too loose and they'll go sharp with pick attack unless it dynamically compensates for it. In that case battery life will probably be 20 mins.

Last edited by baumaxx1 : 11-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #35
dannyalcatraz

I agree on your assessment of the guitar- most people who could afford it would probably have only minimal use for it.

The Nomad, OTOH, is a travel guitar, and is relatively inexpensive- incorporating the DigiTech technology might double its price.

(FWIW, Pignose is another company making guitars with built in amps.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #36
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumaxx1
I still don't see the appeal... It's expensive as, an a limited run. I don't see developers jumping on board for this. The self-tuning is ok I guess, but I'd rather just use an evertune set-up.

It would be cool to assign a different effect to each string I guess... could be creative, but I don't see why you would go for the inbuilt effects there over say an axe-fx.

It looks like a decent solution if you could only bring one guitar and a basic amp and no other effects processors... but its battery life is limited, and I doubt robot tuning will help tuning stability if you've gone from E standard down to drop C. The strings will just be too loose and they'll go sharp with pick attack unless it dynamically compensates for it. In that case battery life will probably be 20 mins.

You know the guitar seems kind of cool but it's really nothing but a novelty.

I don't see the point of having all the effects in the guitar itself, either. It's like those amps that have effects built in. If you don't like the way they sound they're pretty much pointless too.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I don't see the point of having all the effects in the guitar itself, either.

Again, portability. But I agree insofar that this is a novelty for anything that pricey. For a a small travel guitar, it makes more sense. Were I a busker...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #38
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Again, portability. But I agree insofar that this is a novelty for anything that pricey. For a a small travel guitar, it makes more sense. Were I a busker...

I don't think their intent was portability, was it? The robot tuners would suggest that they just wanted to advance their robot line, and I guess adding more electronics makes sense if that was their goal.

But I agree, if their intent was portability, they went about it all wrong. If you can afford to use a $4000 guitar as a travel guitar, I'm guessing you could afford to travel with an Axe FX or some other such unit as well.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
brndnstffrd
UG's Glassman

One shape that i like, even though its kind of just a modified strat shape with the top part flipped up is the Schecter Avenger.
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
brndnstffrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
Jyrgen
Used Register

There are plenty of unique shapes out there, but only a few mainstream ones that you see everywhere. This is why one might think that all possible shapes have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: