Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Pot Another Pickup Suggestion?

Another Pickup Suggestion? unfortunately yes...

I have decided that I don't like the sound of active pickups anymore. They don't have the bite of a passive so I have decided to swap my EMGs out with passives in my guitar.
I was wondering would a DiMarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge and a DiMarzio Super 2 in the neck be a good set for this setup?

Peavey Triple XXX Head
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
10 Band EQ
TS9 Tubescreamer for a boost.

I like really nice thick, mid heavey distorted rhythm tones, and for leads I like a nice thick, smooth lead tone that cuts through... so mid range needs to be there. I use the boost pedal at all times for the distorted tones, and for the cleans I use a different EQ setting if than I do for my Distorted tones. Thanks man!
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Ibanez016

The dimarzio's sound great but seymour duncan's 59 and jb have a great rep.they both can cut in the mix and cleans are great and full.the only thing wrong is that some people say the jb is a little too hot for cleans but thats why you have tone and volume knobs for.so my suggestion is trying the seymour pups.
Ibanez016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
MalicexBass

I play through a XXX as well with a Schecter, and in it I have the Tone Zone(bridge) and Liquifire(neck). I love this setup because the Tone Zone provides thick but defined tones and the Liquifire is fantastic for a rounded lead sound.
MalicexBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
thusuntotyrants

Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a '59 in the neck
thusuntotyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Hmmm, Duncan Distortion and '59? I love crunchy and sounds with bite to them. Can those pickups achieve that? I also like bridge pickups with a really tight low end and very crunchy. Smooth leads with a bite to them that can pull off great harmonics. For neck pickups I want a pickup that is very clear with a decent amount of output to follow under the bridge in output ,since I use both for leads. I think that adds more description but if those pickups can pull that off I'll buy em!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Also ones with 4 con. wires so I can coil Split them. xD
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
The Neighbor of the Beast

i replaced the EMG's in my SG with a SD SH-6 (Mayhem) matched set. They are tremendous.
Remember, you have to swap your pots and rewire your jack.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
i replaced the EMG's in my SG with a SD SH-6 (Mayhem) matched set. They are tremendous.
Remember, you have to swap your pots and rewire your jack.

Well, if I were to get this all done at Guitar Center how much would you say this would cost? Also, If it's too much money... Is this easy enough for someone to do themselves with the help of the internet?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Ibanez016

you can try craigslist or ebay for the pups(try to avoid short wires)and find the pots and new jack at stewmac or where ever you can find them at.as for the labor you should check with local shops,you can also have a local shop order what you need.remember local shops=cheaper and better work.
and if you want to try your self it is pretty easy there is tons of videos on youtube that go step by step on wiring pickups. same on the pots just look at youtube and google for wirring diagrams.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Ibanez016

also it should cost you about $80 tops for labor if you went to a local mom and pop music store
Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
dkunick
Waco

Before giving up on actives entirely consider the new JHs, absolutely amazing tone and headroom. Would also be an easier swap.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Before giving up on actives entirely consider the new JHs, absolutely amazing tone and headroom. Would also be an easier swap.

I've owned the Kirk Hammett 2 Single, 1 Hum pickguard, The EMG set in the Schecter, and 2 duncan designed pickups that are active. I just don't like the compression. It's a wall of thick sound but the passives are more punchy. I have a Schecter Syn Custom with the Seymour Duncan Invaders and I love the punchiness of them. Of course I'd want a different set since those aren't the best passives.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
dkunick
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
I've owned the Kirk Hammett 2 Single, 1 Hum pickguard, The EMG set in the Schecter, and 2 duncan designed pickups that are active. I just don't like the compression. It's a wall of thick sound but the passives are more punchy. I have a Schecter Syn Custom with the Seymour Duncan Invaders and I love the punchiness of them. Of course I'd want a different set since those aren't the best passives.

Not short selling your knowledge of active pups but just know the JHs are in a different league. I've had the EMG 81/85s and Blackouts in the same Ibanez and the JHs are just insanely good. Worth a closer look if you want something different and sweet sounding. Cleans, crunch and leads all sound great. And not a fanboy...after switching to Blackouts I'd kind of written off EMG. Glad I gave these a try. Good luck on your search.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Not short selling your knowledge of active pups but just know the JHs are in a different league. I've had the EMG 81/85s and Blackouts in the same Ibanez and the JHs are just insanely good. Worth a closer look if you want something different and sweet sounding. Cleans, crunch and leads all sound great. And not a fanboy...after switching to Blackouts I'd kind of written off EMG. Glad I gave these a try. Good luck on your search.

I mean I kinda want black ones. If they weren't black chrome I'd consider it, plus, by the time they come out with black ones... They might have similar ones.

Plus, passives are what I'm looking for, Over time... as pickups change, I'll end up considering another model and switch. Technology can do amazing things... but for not, passives are the way to go. I've considered those since James Hetfield has the sound I'm looking for. I'm wanting something a little different though since I have different equipment.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Grawgos

Lace drop and gain.

Rate This Thread: