User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
Must have been the LP then, because the Rebel Yell sounds absolutely nothing like you described in my Huf. Absolutely not bassy or muddy, but very clear and defined.

"Closer offset coils of 43 AWG plain enamel wire retain the mid range punch of the hotter Nailbomb but produce a tighter bass response with cleaner highs and more presence. This gives the pickup an organic voice with plenty of impact, perfect for any player wanting a progressive humbucker rich in harmonic overtones and wide pick dynamics."

Not something you would describe as muddy, bassy and undefined... Besides that, they voiced the rebbel yell with the bass freqs turned down and mids and highs slightly up...

Your huf and his LP are -completely- different guitars though man. I imagine the amps are too. That's the thing.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
I have a JMI Mkii Tone Bender

How did you get that? How much did it cost?

I've honestly been thinking about trying to get one custom made, because they're so damn expensive.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

Must have been.

Sorry if it sounded like your LP is a bad instrument, that was not my intention at all. What I ment was that the LP as the instrument was made (big thick heavy body with mostly beefy necks, short scale, etc...) might not be happy with this pickup.

And yes, offcrouse the amp has a role in it too, every amp handles pickups differently. But imo nothing that can't be fixed tweaking it till your happy.

So again, sorry tom, no offence ment here.
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

yes the whole point was that the rebel yells don't sound good in les pauls.

which i can say was my experience as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
Sorry if it sounded like your LP is a bad instrument, that was not my intention at all. What I ment was that the LP as the instrument was made (big thick heavy body with mostly beefy necks, short scale, etc...) might not be happy with this pickup.

And yes, offcrouse the amp has a role in it too, every amp handles pickups differently. But imo nothing that can't be fixed tweaking it till your happy.

So again, sorry tom, no offence ment here.

None taken buddy

To be fair I can see them working well in your Huf. But as it was Tim who told me they were the pickup I should go for. You can see why I am slightly jaded towards them

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
rudric
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by al112987
Again... Tim also has interest in selling his own pickups. Yes, I know that Page has been known to have stopped by the BKP shop occasionally in the past few years, but I still stand by the Seymour Duncan custom shop in this situation. Maricela Juarez has been personally making Page his pickups for decades (along with just about every legend in rock lore). If you want the exact pickup that is in Page's guitar... then you're going to get any closer than what you order from her. $150 is not too much imo for that kind of product.

I was under the impression that Kent Armstrong was Page's guitar tech and pickup maker during the mid to late zeppelin years?
rudric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I used to buy into the rave reviews about BKPs. Then I bought a set. They were lackluster.

Also, Jimmy's live tone was horrid.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudric
I was under the impression that Kent Armstrong was Page's guitar tech and pickup maker during the mid to late zeppelin years?
Page's guitar tech during the mid to late Zeppelin years was a fellow named Ray Martin. As far as I know, nobody made pickups for Page during the Zeppelin years. At least not for his les paul. He used a PAFs and Gibson T-Tops during Zepplein. MJ started making Page a set of pickups with a very specific set of specs during the '80s. Page's main les paul has a custom Seymour Duncan in the bridge now. I think the neck PAF is still the same one htat has been in the guitar it's entire life, but I don't really know (no one does).

I had a few conversations with MJ about the pickup set a few years ago. I was quoted $350 for a set with nickle covers. They aren't cheap, that's for sure. They also tend to be a little hush-hush about the set as she does not really delve into details about it. Apparently it was at the request of Page that they did not advertise it. They DID start selling the set publically though last year... a limited custom shop run of a pickup called the "Whole Lotta Humbucker" that was only available in the UK (wonder why ). From what I've been told, they are basically the Page spec pickups.

Last edited by al112987 : 11-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster

Also, Jimmy's live tone was horrid.

Now? Yes.
During Zeppelin? No.

Last edited by al112987 : 11-05-2012 at 11:11 PM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #30
JAHellraiser

lol I don't think anyone is concerned with post-Zep Jimmy's tone. Mostly because there isn't a lot of actual material to hear a post-Zep tone, but still.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #31
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
How did you get that? How much did it cost?

I've honestly been thinking about trying to get one custom made, because they're so damn expensive.

For the love of God, if you get one, do not get it through JMI. They are so awful to deal with. I ordered it through Music Ground's website almost exactly a year ago to the day come to think of it. It was on next day delivery. I got it at the start of January. They kept telling me it had already been dispatched and will be with me tomorrow. They have VERY bad reputation so don't getbone through them. It cosy me 200. But it's an insane pedal. Built like a tank. Seriously, the case is about half an inch thick If you can get one, do. It's an identical copy to what Page used.

Rate This Thread: