Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Pitwulf

Best DAW for me?

Hey everybody,
So I'm trying to produce my own music and have already done a few classical songs. So far I have been using FL studio but I have a few problems with it.
I make all of my music on Tux Guitar (Free version of Guitar Pro) first and export it to MIDI. However I have noticed that FL studio doesnt handle MIDI files very well.
It also doesn't seem to handle third party VST's very well. Some VST's just dont work at all, like it crashes, or it opens the VST but I dont get any sound out of it.
I have also often had that one of the tracks just produces no sound after a while. Like visually it looks allright, everything is saying it is working fine, yet it doesn't produce any sound.
Sometimes when working on a song with many tracks (8-10) it doesn't want to export it to an audio file. It gets to say 60% and then freezes.
On top of all this, I sometimes get random crashes or freezes while working on the song.

So, could you guys suggest a DAW that handles MIDI files well and/or handles third party VST's well? I'd rather have the complete package in one DAW but otherwise two different DAW'S would also suffice.

(I want to continue making classical music but also want to start with making some Metal once my Line 6 UX1 arrives)

Thanks
Pitwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
chatterbox272

inb4 REAPER. Actually, seeing as it will undoubtedly be recommended blindly by someone I'd say avoid REAPER this time around, it's MIDI editor is a little sub-par. That said there are some who like it so maybe download the trial and give it a shot, I've never had any VST issues with it that weren't the fault of the VST itself (DSK Blues Beta I'm looking at you)
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

I use Cubase for MIDI related stuff, does the trick nicely

Bit pricey though..
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

If you use it for producing I would advise Ableton, handles MIDI and VST really well (though you shouldn't export and import MIDI-files but just record them)

The best thing for recording & mixing is ProTools if you ask me btw...

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Pitwulf

Tried REAPER and dont like it. I'll check out Cubase and Ableton ;D ty
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

maybe you got a bad (read: cracked) version of FL Studio, or something is wrong with your computer. FL Studio works fine for me.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I'll say that if you didn't like Reaper, you won't like Cubase (Then again, nobody should like Cubase :P)

Ableton is great with handling VST Instruments & anything that is primarily virtual instrument related. Thats why pretty much every major electronica person uses it. Though, if you plan on recording more traditional Metal/Rock, a more traditional DAW like Reaper is going to be a lot easier to work with.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Cheesepuff
i <3 you

Protools is the industry standard. Just so you know it's the only accepted program in the professional world.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesepuff
Protools is the industry standard. Just so you know it's the only accepted program in the professional world.

Oh God, not another one of you "PT is Industry Standard" ******s. People like you need to get your head out of your ass. It may be but a lot of people are venturing away to Apple's Logic since Pro Tools has been going downhill.

Also, tell me where in his post he says he wants to do this professionally? I could understand if his post was "Hey, I'm looking at opening my own pro studio & I want all the gear & software that a pro studio has" but its not. He's looking for his own personal use to do instrumental work.

Even then, as a Pro Tools user since 2007, I wouldn't be using Pro Tools for tracks requiring a lot of virtual instruments. Its a resource hog, there's no 64-bit support yet & compared to Ableton (which is designed for virtual instruments), its a pain in the ass to work with when it comes to VIs.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Pitwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
maybe you got a bad (read: cracked) version of FL Studio, or something is wrong with your computer. FL Studio works fine for me.

haha, it is cracked actually (not ready to throw 400 euros away for something Im just starting in). That might explain the freezes and crashes, but not that it doesnt accept certain VST's.
Anyway I've read that FL Studio is supposed to be the best, but then again Pro tools is the "standard". I was never one to do what everyone else does so Im just going to try the ones suggested so far and see which one(s) Im happy with.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
(btw before u go all anti-piracy on me, I will make sure to buy a legal copy of whatever DAW if I ever go proffesional/commercial)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Abelton should probably work, just get the real version. My abelton "lite" crashes and freezes like every 3 seconds. Works well for MIDI though, when its working at all. I do exactly the same thing as you, exporting from Tux Guitar. That program is pretty damn useful. I've currently switched to reaper, but I have yet to try to do any of my MIDI nonsense with it, just real instrument recording, which I do like it better for. Then again, as I said, I had Abelton "lite" which was glitchy as all get out, so I can't really compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesepuff

...mainly because it was one of the first, if not THE first, digital platform available when studios made the switch from analog to digital recording. That doesn't necessarily make it the best.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
captainsnazz
#coldcum #abrasam

Mac or Windows?
If mac, then Logic.
If windows, then anything except ****ing pro tools. I used to use cubase when I had windows, but I can't really remember what it's like since I can use logic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

What are the specs of your computer? Do you have an audio interface?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
What are the specs of your computer? Do you have an audio interface?

If he's doing midi from Tux Guitar he doesn't need an audio interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Pitwulf

I have Windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
...mainly because it was one of the first, if not THE first, digital platform available when studios made the switch from analog to digital recording. That doesn't necessarily make it the best.

Cubase was the first one.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
timcrow420

My personal favorite is pro tools, Im currently using pro tools 8, ive tried Pro Tracks, Sonar, Reaper.

native instruments is also a wonderful sounding program
timcrow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #18
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Cubase was the first pro midi sequencing program. ProTools was the first audio recording suite.

As time went on, they both evolved to include the features of the other, more or less.

AFAIK.

Anyways, I'd tell you what package I'd recommend, but the cracks for it are crap too.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
tim_mop

Logic has the best synth sounds, but if you're editing with notation it sucks. If you're just editing MIDI the piano roll is very comprehensive and easy to use.

Don't get ProTools unless you have decent third party plugins, its bundled VSTs are awful. ProTools is best for those who are recording mainly audio and have loads of outboard/expensive plugins.

Ableton is a terrible idea. Its a sequencer best suited for electronic music and DJs. Its features are completely based on that genre and wont get you far at all with classical music.

My recommendation: Logic.

EDIT Avoid Cubase like the plague. IMO its awful.

Last edited by tim_mop : 11-06-2012 at 06:29 AM.
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mop
Ableton is a terrible idea. Its a sequencer best suited for electronic music and DJs. Its features are completely based on that genre and wont get you far at all with classical music..

I disagree. I use it for producing indie/rock/folk music. It's a full DAW with insane tweakability. It's actually pretty great for orchestral production with midi. I'm no good at making any sort of electronic music with it, but I have a very easy time producing organic music with or without samples.

I say get the 30 day Ableton trial and see what you can do with it. They even sell orchestral sample packs for a fair price, there's some really great stuff in there.

Also, the OP has Windows so Logic is out.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: