Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
angeliou

Beginner Simply asking what to practice

Hi everyone.

I will try to keep this short and sweet.

I try to be as effective with my practice time as I can be. For starters I spend most of my time learning songs/riffs from tabs. After that I dabble in trying to solo over various songs and see what fits. Also like to spend time creating simple songs of progressions and pentatonic scales.

As far as theory goes, I practice the minor/major pentatonic scale every day. I know hte 5 positions by heart, and it is a good warm up.

My question is (as someone who knows very little of theory)
What would you guys recomend to someone who knows little theory to practice next.

What scale would be the most effective to my playing, perhaps learning all 7 positions of the major scale? perhaps the major arpeggios?

tl;dr:
Know major/minor pentatonic and 5 positions, what would be the most efficient scale to practice next?
angeliou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Don't worry about learning more scales. Learn songs, and if you feel you are lacking in the theory department then learn actual theory, not just patterns/fingerings.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Yeah Hydras advice is sound.... theres theory..and then theres "being musical".... learning a few songs sounds like a good thing to do...preferably by ear... but even if its tab learn the songs all the way from start to finish...

if you wanted to go a bit theoritcalish.... your major/minor pentatonics are just the major and minor scale with 2 notes missing.... see if you can find them...
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
20Tigers

Your ear.

Learn songs by ear every day for 20 mins - do some ear training exercises as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
RJH11
Tone chaser

Just try to rock out to at least one of your favorite artists everyday thats what i do
im not the greatest guitarist by any means but work ethic will get you where you want
to be pick it up at least two hours a day even if you dont want to. And of course have fun
and release thats what music is all about.
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Make sure your timing is good. It's important to learn to play and stay in time. Record yourself playing along to a metronome or click-track, or a record. Listen back and see if you need to improve that side of things. I mention this 'cos it's what I neglected in my early days of playing and I still struggle with timing.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: