User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper9
Don't look for a guitar just because of the people who use them, they might get them to sound great live, doesn't necessarily mean you can get them to sound as good, because tone is influenced by everything. Honestly, if you want a great guitar for a great price, look online for an old Ibanez rg550, it's different than a Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul, but sounds and plays a heck of a lot better

Subjective nonsense. He might like the Fender more, I wouldn't say it plays better than my MiM Tele, and I wouldn't say it sounds better playing Cream either. If you were talking about Steve Vai I would probably agree. It does depend on who he likes and what he really wants to play. The Ibanez is a good guitar though.

If you can play a D Major chord, and you have Hendrix's strat, Marshall 'Plexi', fuzz box and wah you will sound pretty much the same as Jimi when he plays a D Major if you play that D. The soloing may be a different issue but you'll be closer with his gear than Vais'. Tone is in the fingers but its also largely in the gear. If he wants to sound like someone or a certain style you should be looking at what gear compliments it the most.

You should always optimise your experience to what you want it to be, not move further away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 11-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Firehawk2410

Thanks for all your advice guys! I didn't expect all this, and all the different opinions are kind of confusing me. So, I'll clarify what you guys asked for and I'll ask some more questions:
- I mostly play hard rock and some blues rock music from the 70's and 80's. Some of my favorite bands are KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin. Ace Frehley has recently become my favorite guitarist but Joe Perry is almost tied for my fave. I also like the current guitarist of KISS; Tommy Thayer.
- I've grown to like the feel of my Les Paul over the Strat. Maybe it's just psychological but I think the neck feels more comfortable to my hand. The only thing I don't love that much is the weight, but I guess I'm used to it and the guitar still looks great in my opinion.
- What exactly is an MiM Fender? I've never heard that before.
- It looks like a lot of you guys are recommending amps. I know this isn't the gear forum, but I could I get some more guidance in the amp department? I have no idea what I'm doing and I hope the details I gave above can help you guys help me.
Thanks again!

Last edited by Firehawk2410 : 11-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Fender makes guitars in different parts of the world. They are built with different quality parts.

The best Fenders are the MIA or AM Standard. Made in America or American Standard.

Then we have the MIM & MIJ. Made in Mexico/Japan. Not as good pickups, wood, craftsmanship etc. However, you can get excellent specimens from both Japanese and Mexican Fenders.

People generally look on the Japanese Fenders as the second choice, but they tend not to sell them anywhere except Japan. You will get people who say the difference is minor and the Japanese and Mexican sound and feel very similar.

But no two guitars sound and feel the same, it's up to you to find one that you love.

I have a MIA Tele that I love, and a Mexican Tele that I love more. It doesn't sound as nice, but it plays so well that with a shit load of fuzz you'll never know the difference

You have different kind of amps.

Cheap solid state amps are where people generally start with their amps, from bundles etc. Big mistake. These amps are made with poor parts and lack the soul of different types of amps. Its quite hard to find a good solid state amp.

If its 10 watts, made by Squire, stay away. In fact, run for the hills.

Hybrid amps are a combination of different types of amps. It depends on the type. Marshall make some awesome hybrids, but that's because they are made with valves. I don't have a lot of experience with hybrid amps except some Marshalls and Blackstars. The Marshalls can be expensive. Some of my buddies have some great Blackstar hybrids, like the HT-5. Not too expensive. One to consider.

Modelling amps basically have digital 'models' of popular/famous amps. They can be very good or not. Its a bit hit and miss. They are generally very good for those on a budget, can give nearly accurate tones for famous blues, high gain, rock and roll amps etc. You can download user made amp models or make your own.

The Vox Valvetronix and Fender Mustang series are good entry level amps, if you can't afford a tube/valve amp look into one of them.

Tube or valve amps are the holy grail of amp types. They sound warm, are naturally driven by forces which we don't understand, smell nice and just have something the other types don't have. Soul. They don't try and sound like anything, they sound like what every other type of amp wants to sound like. They are also expensive. A Fender Blues Junior is a good choice to start with, but you'll need a pedal for fuzz/distortion/overdrive.

Something else to look into.

What's your budget for an amp?

I Hope my brief guide helped a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 11-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Firehawk2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
You have different kind of amps.

If its 10 watts, made by Squire, stay away. In fact, run for the hills.

Hybrid amps are a combination of different types of amps. It depends on the type. Marshall make some awesome hybrids, but that's because they are made with valves. I don't have a lot of experience with hybrid amps except some Marshalls and Blackstars. The Marshalls can be expensive. Some of my buddies have some great Blackstar hybrids, like the HT-5. Not too expensive. One to consider.

Modelling amps basically have digital 'models' of popular/famous amps. They can be very good or not. Its a bit hit and miss. They are generally very good for those on a budget, can give nearly accurate tones for famous blues, high gain, rock and roll amps etc. You can download user made amp models or make your own.

Tube or valve amps are the holy grail of amp types. They sound warm, are naturally driven by forces which we don't understand, smell nice and just have something the other types don't have. Soul. They don't try and sound like anything, they sound like what every other type of amp wants to sound like. They are also expensive. A Fender Blues Junior is a good choice to start with, but you'll need a pedal for fuzz/distortion/overdrive.

Something else to look into.

What's your budget for an amp?

I Hope my brief guide helped a bit.

That just told me (mostly) everything I haven't learned in the past three years. Thanks!
I'm thinking I'm going to set aside at least $400 USD on an amp, because my modeling amp just isn't doing it for me, even though it's a year old, and that was $300. Because I recently made up my mind on what type of music I really want to play, I think a valve or hybrid amp like you mentioned would be great. I'm someone who likes things simple, raw, old-school, and straight-forward, and all the crap that my modeling amp includes just confuses me and I only ever use a couple settings. I do have an effects pedal, but I'm a cheapskate so I got an "entry-level" pedal. I kind of like it but I'd rather not use it to mask my guitar and amp. I'd rather let the guitar and amp be able to show themselves off without a "digital crutch" so to speak.
And yes, I do have a 10-watt Squier and even a 15-watt Fender that came in a bundle. Neither work anymore, but they were just "learner's amps" when I bought them.
As for the guitars, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I'll buy a higher-end Epiphone Les Paul unless a bunch of the guys here tackle me before I reach for one. I've decided I'm not good enough yet or rich enough to justify buying a real Gibson, but I just love the way the Les Paul looks and how it feels.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
dannyalcatraz

Nothing wrong with an Epi Les Paul.

However, there are a load of guitars out there that are based on the LP design, and each company gives you a different experience. So, what do you like about LPs and what do you want out of your guitar?*

* and don't just say "Awesome sounds!"

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
Firehawk2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Nothing wrong with an Epi Les Paul.

However, there are a load of guitars out there that are based on the LP design, and each company gives you a different experience. So, what do you like about LPs and what do you want out of your guitar?*

* and don't just say "Awesome sounds!"

I like the shape of the Les Pauls even though they don't have the body cutaways like the Strats do. So far the shape hasn't been uncomfortable. The position of the selector switch and the tone knobs is also the right fit for me. I just want a guitar that actually sounds at least half-professional. I don't want one that has pickups set up for heavy metal exclusively. I like hard rock and blues rock and I want a guitar that has an attitude with just the distortion of the amp, but also sounds great clean. I also want something that has good sustain, as my current guitar can only hold the sound for several seconds before it's inaudible.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #27
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk2410
I like the shape of the Les Pauls even though they don't have the body cutaways like the Strats do. So far the shape hasn't been uncomfortable. The position of the selector switch and the tone knobs is also the right fit for me. I just want a guitar that actually sounds at least half-professional. I don't want one that has pickups set up for heavy metal exclusively. I like hard rock and blues rock and I want a guitar that has an attitude with just the distortion of the amp, but also sounds great clean. I also want something that has good sustain, as my current guitar can only hold the sound for several seconds before it's inaudible.

This recent thread talks about LP-shaped guitars that have more contoured bodies than the standard Gibson LP.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...t+have+contours

Not all of them will be in your forseeable price range, but many will be. So, if you're patient, you'll be able to at least consider Les Paulian guitars that you may find more comfortable than the originals.

And that isn't all they may have to offer you.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-06-2012 at 02:27 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: